Web services added as web applications are being converted to web sites

We have a somewhat large solution that we are converting from VS.NET 2003 to 2005 (using web application projects).

The conversion has been going very well until recently.  Basically, one of the other developers converted a number of web services to 2005 web services as web applications.  When he loads the solution that contains these projects, it loads and builds fine. Other developers can load the solution successfully and build as well.  When I try to load this solution, VS.NET 2005 checks out the .sln file as well as all of the folders these web service projects reside in.  When I save the solution, VS.NET 2005 seems to be converting these web service projects to web sites.

As an example, in the solution file, the following:

Project("{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}") = "EfmAdaptorWebServices", "EFM\EfmAdaptor\EfmAdaptorWebServices\EfmAdaptorWebServices.csproj", "{3373454A-7278-44B2-BDA9-C9E3B65BDC99}"
EndProject

is being converted to:

Project("{E24C65DC-7377-472B-9ABA-BC803B73C61A}") = "D:\...\EfmAdaptorWebServices\", "EFM\EfmAdaptor\EfmAdaptorWebServices\", "{3373454A-7278-44B2-BDA9-C9E3B65BDC99}"
    ProjectSection(WebsiteProperties) = preProject
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.VirtualPath = "/EfmAdaptorWebServices"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "EFM\EfmAdaptor\EfmAdaptorWebServices\"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.TargetPath = "PrecompiledWeb\EfmAdaptorWebServices\"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.Updateable = "true"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.ForceOverwrite = "true"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.FixedNames = "false"
        Debug.AspNetCompiler.Debug = "True"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.VirtualPath = "/EfmAdaptorWebServices"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "EFM\EfmAdaptor\EfmAdaptorWebServices\"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.TargetPath = "PrecompiledWeb\EfmAdaptorWebServices\"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.Updateable = "true"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.ForceOverwrite = "true"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.FixedNames = "false"
        Release.AspNetCompiler.Debug = "False"
        VWDPort = "2328"
    EndProjectSection
EndProject

I believe this means that the web applcation is being converted to a web site because of the "WebsiteProperties" string in the above.  BTW, the folders that are checked out are not changed.

To resolve this I have tried to reinstall all of the various pieces (VS.NET 2005, VS80-KB915364-X86-ENU.exe, WebApplicationProjectSetup.msi, etc...)

One other thing that might help in figuring out this problem is that we are using Rational's ClearCase p2003.06.16.

Thanks for any help that can be provided,

--Kipp Howard.

PS: Hopefully this is the right forum for this question as it was related to web appliction projects

0
kipphoward

I figured out a way to get around this problem.  Basically I checked out (from source control) the old .csproj files (before the conversion).  Then I opened that project by itself and went through the conversion wizard.  The .csproj and web.config files were changed.  Then I unchecked out those two files.  I did this for each web service that was having problems.  Then, after making sure that my source tree was up-to-date with respect to the .csproj and web.config files, I loaded the original solution that had the above problem.  Now everything works fine.

Please note that I didn't save any of the changed files after each project was conveted.  So this tells me there is some data cached somewhere that is indicating that a project is a web application project.  Does anyone know where that cached data is stored or what could have caused my original problem?

Kipp Howard

0
kipphoward
9/29/2006 2:37:00 PM

I'm seeing this problem as well. Except that I'm seeing this with every web app/web service that I've converted.  It seems that in many cases unless you do the web project conversion on your machine you won't see this as a project file but as a new VS 2005 web site.  Does anyone know where the cached information about which projects are web application projects are stored?  I know its not in the solution, project file or even the web cache for that matter.

Thanks,

Kyle

0
KyleBrandon
10/29/2006 11:46:59 AM

Can anyone confirm that there is some cached data that indicates a project is a web site or web application?

I encountered this problem again after merging my files to a new branch in source control (ClearCase).  I figured there was something strange with my original view and so after I got it working using the above method, I forgot about this problem.  Today I did the merge and tried opening the project and got the existing web application project converted to web sites.  Having to open and convert the project for every new code tree that I create (view) is a pain.  Does anyone know what could be going on here?

Thanks.

PS: I'm using VS.NET 2005 SP1

0
kipphoward
2/7/2007 4:00:52 AM

I think I finally figured out what is causing the problems that I have been seeing...

Within the folders containing the projects that were being converted to websites, there was a projectname.csproj.webinfo file.  I believe this file was left over from older builds.  After removing these files, I was able to successfully load my solution without those web application projects being converted to web sites.

Things are much better now. :)

0
kipphoward

Converting web site project to web application in vs 2008
I am converting web site project into web applicatio project in vs 2008 and running into web reference related issue.  I am not so sure how to address this.  Our old web site application had app_webreferences folder with AllServices as sub folder and then all of the web services under that folder. for example:  AllServices\AService.wsdl  AllServices\BService.wsdl   AllServices\CService.wsdl   etc... our code references AllServices.BService in the code or AllServices.AService etc...  It seems like when I Right Clicked on web application project...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a...

How convert VS2005 site web to new Web Application Project
We found out about the new Web Application Project tool a few days too late. Our VS 2003 web app has now been moved to the default VS2005 model. Now that we know about the new Project model add-in, we'd love to convert to that. Our biggest problem with the standard VS2005 model is that non-GACed references aren't stored anywhere...it just looks in the bin. This is a pain for our build/deployment process (no more Copy Local). We can GAC a lot of assemblies (even though we don't want to), but some of them are third-party unsigned assemblies or COM interop assemblies, so they have to be in th...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
 I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a few kinks when using the process on a VB project.  The Problem:After creating a new Web Application Project, copying in the old files, and running the "Convert to Web Application Project" process, the site would no longer build.  Any classes stored in the "Old_App_Code" folder (previously named...

Ajax call web services failed after convert web site into web project
Hi Guys I have one web site application and use ajax call web services. it is working very well. 1. Master page set up scriptmanager with webservices path. 2. Web service inside web site application under app_code named ajaxwebservice.cs 3. Javascript call ret=ajaxwebservice.method(id, oncomplete(),ontimeout(),onerror()); But after I convert web site into web application project, the ret=ajaxwebservice.method(id, oncomplete(),ontimeout(),onerror()); failed, the ajaxwebservice in undifined error. I use the same web.config, master page, I put my ajaxwebservice.asmx and ajaxwebservic...

Converting Web Site to Web Application (AJAX web service goes missing)
I have just completed (almost) an exercise to convert a web site to a web app (acedemic reasons - just to see the differences).A few bumps on the road such as copying class files to the new solution and wondering for a while why the classes did not show up.  It was because the properties for the class file were "content" rather than "compile".  Also copied all my images to a newly created image folder outside the IDE.  There is no context menu item to refresh a folder in the Web App so it was out of the car and back in to fix that.One problem remains. ...

Converting a Web Site Project to a Web Application Project ?
I upgraded my .NET 1.1 apps to Web Site Projects long before this add on was released and was wondering if there's  a way to convert these Web Site Projects to Web Application Projects because I really did like the old way of just uploading one dll to the web server when updates came around.   Is there a way to do this?In this world there are 10 types of people, those that know binary and those who don't. Here are a couple of tutorials that describe how to do this: C# - http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx VB - http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBa...

Converting a Web Application Project to a Web Site Project
I converted a VS 2003 web application to VS 2005 using the Web Application Project model.  Is it possible to convert this to a Web Site Project once it is upgraded to VS 2005? We don't have any automated tools to convert from VS2005 WAP to Websites.  If you really prefer to use the website model, I would recommend converting directly from VS2003 to Websites.  To do that you can open the VS2003 app using the "Open Website" command.Omar KhanVisual Web Developer Team I thought you were going to say that.  I have spent quite a bit of time getting rid of most of the warnin...

Ajax error calling Web Service from Web Application Project vs Web Site
I am implementing the code from the Asp.Net Ajax Video Demo “How Do I: Make Client-Side Network Callbacks with ASP.NET AJAX?”  The Web page is generating a javascript error (‘SimpleService’ is undefined) and is unable to recognize the Web service.  The downloaded examples work, however I have created the Demo (both the page and the web service) in a Web Application Project, rather than a Web Site.  The demo uses a Web site.  Because of this the page does not recognize the Web service. To ask the question another way: What needs to be done differently in a Web Service...

Run-time problems after converting VS2005 web site to web application project
I've been reading about Web App Projects and how they eliminate the need for _vti files from FrontPage Server Extensions so I thought give it a try converting. I've read lots of stuff on this in this forum and elsewhere and I've gotten my project to build without any errors but I get failures trying to run the app. To give an idea, I have a public site for development at http://www.mortgagedataweb.com/devmdw/default.asp which resides in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\devmdw on a webserver running WinServer2003. I also have a copy of this on my desktop running WinXP at http://localho...

Problem Converting VS2005 Web site to VS2005 Web Application
I have a 2005 Web Site (no profile, no xsd) I need to convert to a 2005 Web Application. I downloaded SP1 and followed Scott's tutorial. After conversion and build I had 32 errors and 4 warnings. One set of errors has to do with the fact that I have 2 modules containing some utility functions in the Web Site. All calls from web pages to functions in these modules fail in the Web Application (they work fine in the Web Site).The error says: Name [FunctionName] not defined I suspect I need to add the modules to the project namespace, but just putting "namespace ThisProjec...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

Is it possible to migrate VS2005 Web Application Project to VS2005 Web Site.
Good afternoon.On my first project using VS2005, it was a brand new project so we didn't have to face the migration issue.  As we were developing right after VS2005 was released, we created the code using File | New | Web Site.I have now moved onto my second project and this one is a migration from a previously existing .NET 1.1 codebase to .NET 2.0.   We are currently investigating the best approach for migrating this code from VS2003 to VS2005.  We are thinking that at least initially, we might convert the code into a VS2005 Web Application Project using the steps located at...

Web resources about - Web services added as web applications are being converted to web sites - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

Miller accused's bail application adjourned until Friday
One of the two men charged with causing the one-punch death of Brisbane teenager Cole Miller will stay behind bars until at least Friday.

Apple Stores planned for India as application is filed with regulators
... India Times , the company has recently taken a major step in accomplishing that goal. According to the report, Apple has just filed an application ...

Tech City UK received just 37 applications for a visa scheme that could allow 200 tech immigrants to ...
Tech City UK, a taxpayer-funded government organisation, has received just 37 applications since April 2015 for a dedicated technology visa that ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 19% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications rebound
Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis, for the week ending January 8th, versus previous week,

Toshiba expands ApP Lite processor family for wearable applications
Toshiba has announced the launch of TZ1201XBG, an application processor for wearable devices, as the latest addition to its ApP Lite family for ...