Web Application Project and Convert to Web Application menu option doesn't exist

I installed "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 – Update to Support Web Application Projects" then I installed the Web Application Project software.  I converted my 2003 Web App per the tutorial by Scott.  Everything worked until I got to Step 8: Convert to Partial Classes.  I don't have the "Convert to Web Application" menu item via the code or project.  So then I tried to create a new Web Application Project by going to File->New Project menu item and select the “ASP.NET Web Application” project but that project doesn't exist as an option.  I tried uninstalling both software then installing it again with no change.  The odd thing is I am able to Add a Web Deployment Project and build the project.

Any ideas?

0
fryjr

Maybe, just maybe it is because I am running Windows XP x64 or maybe because I installed SQL Server 2005 Client Tools (which installed a VS 2005 for Reporting Services) prior to installing Visual Studio 2005 Pro???
0
fryjr
9/13/2006 10:03:13 PM

Make sure the guids in your .csproj or .vbproj are correct.  If you don't have the web application project guid the project will load as a client library.

The step to convert to partial classes isn't required.  If you don't do it when you add new controls to a page they won't be declared automatically for you.  You will then need to edit the code behind file manually to add the control declaration.

It is possible to convert to partial classes manually by:

1) changing yourpage.aspx.cs to be a partial class
2) adding a new code file with the name yourpage.aspx.designer.cs
3) open yourpage.aspx, make a trivial edit, and save

This should re-generate the code in yourpage.aspx.designer.cs to be a partial class.

Tim McBride

timmcb
9/13/2006 10:47:37 PM

I just tried a fresh install of VS 2005 Pro Upgrade, installed KB915364, and then the WebDeploymentSetup.msi.  I still don't have the convert option nor can I create a new Web Application Project.

I should be able to create a new Web App Project correct?

I understand we don't have to convert but it sounds like a lot of work if we don't.  Plus, I would hate to manually convert all 214 aspx pages manually.

 Thanks for your reply.

0
fryjr
9/14/2006 2:50:34 AM

Sounds like you installed the wrong msi.  You need Web Application Projects not Web Deployment Projects.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/0/6/906064ce-0bd1-4328-af40-49dca1aef87c/WebApplicationProjectSetup.msi

Tim McBride

timmcb
9/15/2006 1:30:21 AM
Oh wow!  You were correct.  I totally missed that!!!  Thanks a bunch for catching it!!!   Geeked
0
fryjr

Converting a Web Site Project to a Web Application Project ?
I upgraded my .NET 1.1 apps to Web Site Projects long before this add on was released and was wondering if there's  a way to convert these Web Site Projects to Web Application Projects because I really did like the old way of just uploading one dll to the web server when updates came around.   Is there a way to do this?In this world there are 10 types of people, those that know binary and those who don't. Here are a couple of tutorials that describe how to do this: C# - http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx VB - http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBa...

Converting a Web Application Project to a Web Site Project
I converted a VS 2003 web application to VS 2005 using the Web Application Project model.  Is it possible to convert this to a Web Site Project once it is upgraded to VS 2005? We don't have any automated tools to convert from VS2005 WAP to Websites.  If you really prefer to use the website model, I would recommend converting directly from VS2003 to Websites.  To do that you can open the VS2003 app using the "Open Website" command.Omar KhanVisual Web Developer Team I thought you were going to say that.  I have spent quite a bit of time getting rid of most of the warnin...

Create: Project doesn't give option for web application
When I click on "Create: Project" on the Start Page in my VS 2005 Professional, there is no option for creating a web project or application. The closest to "web project" is Windows Application. Is that the same? Need some guidance here. Thanks. Is it SP1 or stock VS? Web Application only available in SP1. You can also use File | New | Web site.Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Can I open a Web Project application after I install Web Applications Projects?
I have installed the Web Application Projects addin to my VS 2005.  I have used it to convert a web application that was written in VS 2003 to VS 2005. Now I want to open a Web Project application written by another developer on our team.  The Web Project is save in SourceSafe.  When I try to open the Web Project from SourceSafe I get an error "There are no solition or project files in the this location.  Please select a different location".  Am I geting this error because I have the Web Applications Projects installed?  Do I have to uninstall it to work o...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

What's the different of Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects ?
What's the different of Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects ?I have read some articles about WAP and WDP, but i feel confuse between WAP / WDP and  aspnet_compiler.exe under .NET Framework folder .because all of them is use for deploy the web application and compile the resource (eg. *.VB, *.aspx ,*.ASCX etc...) to a single or mutli assambly Library, so i wonder what the different between them. i can using aspnet_compiler.exe to compile a library simply , so why i need WAP / WDP?My Blog : http://mingalive.mysinablog.comMy Web : http://www.aspvista.net ...

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
 I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a few kinks when using the process on a VB project.  The Problem:After creating a new Web Application Project, copying in the old files, and running the "Convert to Web Application Project" process, the site would no longer build.  Any classes stored in the "Old_App_Code" folder (previously named...

How convert VS2005 site web to new Web Application Project
We found out about the new Web Application Project tool a few days too late. Our VS 2003 web app has now been moved to the default VS2005 model. Now that we know about the new Project model add-in, we'd love to convert to that. Our biggest problem with the standard VS2005 model is that non-GACed references aren't stored anywhere...it just looks in the bin. This is a pain for our build/deployment process (no more Copy Local). We can GAC a lot of assemblies (even though we don't want to), but some of them are third-party unsigned assemblies or COM interop assemblies, so they have to be in th...

Converting web site project to web application in vs 2008
I am converting web site project into web applicatio project in vs 2008 and running into web reference related issue.  I am not so sure how to address this.  Our old web site application had app_webreferences folder with AllServices as sub folder and then all of the web services under that folder. for example:  AllServices\AService.wsdl  AllServices\BService.wsdl   AllServices\CService.wsdl   etc... our code references AllServices.BService in the code or AllServices.AService etc...  It seems like when I Right Clicked on web application project...

Converting 1.1 Web Project to a 2.0 Web Application Project, then and now...
Hey all, I hope I can explain this correctly, as I am completely lost as to what was and is going on. About 6-8 months ago, I installed VS2005 Professional on my notebook and got the VS2005 WAP conversion installation, which was a seperate add on at the time. I took a couple small 1.1 applications and as I recall pointed to the .vbproj file and allowed the conversion wizard to do it's thing and then went through the output fixing all the code which was no longer 2.o compliant (ie. Like the SMTP class changes).  Now, on my Desktop I was told to install VS2005 Team System and patc...

Web Site Project or Web Application Project?
Hi all, I have a situation here.  My team's project has window and web clients, and we used Team System to control Source Code. We have a contract company that develop the generated codes for some of the web pages that being used in the web client.  They built it using Web Site Project.  We still need to develop some other web pages that has different functionalities than the code generator and one of our team member created a project which is a Web Application Project.  Now, the code generator doesn't work because it won't compile in our Web Application Pro...

Web Site Project and Web Application Project
I hope someone can help me out with this question.I have been using Web Application Projects and like what it can offer because I am so used to how VS 2003 was structured. I am trying to teach someone the difference between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to create a new solution that is specific to the Web Site Project structure anymore. I thought when I installed Web Application Projects, I would have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects. Is there something I am overlooking when I ...

Web resources about - Web Application Project and Convert to Web Application menu option doesn't exist - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

Would you give up chocolate for better application performance?
Application performance is critical to business performance according to 98 percent of businesses, yet 89 percent of executives say the poor ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 29% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 1.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

Digitimes Research: China touch panel makers increasing investments in niche products and large-size ...
The China International Touchscreen Exhibition (C-Touch) was recently held in Shenzhen, China, featuring a number of local and international ...