web app vs web site vs web project

Could someone describe the differences between web sites, web apps and web projects? (or send me a link that contains this comparison?).
Is one of these terms synonomous with another?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?  How does one choose when starting new development? Can one type be converted into another?

Thank you.

0
LadyReader

Here is my definition:

Website: perspective of users. Collection of web pages.
Webapp and project: perspective of developer (and webmasters). Collection of web pages and resouces (database, code, etc.). Maybe software installers / web master will use the word webapp more frequent than developers.

Please remember to 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question!
0
ShadowDanser
2/28/2008 1:41:02 PM

are you even an asp.net developer or are you just trying to misinform n00bs?

Go here to see the difference:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880.aspx#wapp_topic5

0
fourthespada

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

how to package VS Web Site App to be published as a Project web site on a production web server in a sub folder of the main website
Hi, I created a VS2k5 Website and used the web site using the small business starter kit as a model.  I published the website to a folder and runs fine.  I decided to copy the website to a folder within another website so when you click on a link it will open up the website start page.  That does not work.  My problem is that I need to publish the website as a project that includes all the tools I used so it can be uploaded to a subfolder into the website and the main webdb page will open.  Is their a way for me to deploy the website a a project? I am open ...

Migrating from VS 2005 Web Site Projects to VS 2005 Web Application Projects witn vb and c# code
I've tring to migrate Web Site to Web Aplication in VS 2005. In my Web Site I have pages written using VB and C#. During converting to WA i choose VB and only pages with VB code i can migrate. If I choose C# as language for WA only pages with C# I can migrate. Is a way to migrate Web Site with mix of VB and C# code? Wieslaw Hi, As far as I know, The ASP.NET Web application doesn't support that C# application project contains VB page or VB application project contains C# page. But it can compile the different language class file in project. In your case, you can tr...

Which is best web application projects or Web site projects in VS 2008
Hi, Using VS.NET 2008 We are developing a web based product (inventory, accounts,etc). This product has DA, BO layers. We are currently using web site project model. We are using webdelopyemnt project for deploying at client place.I want to know that, which model Web site model or web applicaton model is a best model for applications?I read most of the blogs and also articles for knowing difference between these two models.  But I am not coming under conclusion.Let me know your views and alos best answers Regards S. Muhilan   As you probably know, the difference between...

VS 2005 Web Application project >> Web Site project
Hello,I am trying to do the uncommon, change a VS 2005 Web Application project (originally a converted 2003 Web Application project) to a VS 2005 Web Site project. There are many tutorials on how to either take a 2003 Web Application project, or 2005 Web Site project and turn them into into a VS 2005 Web Application project. (Not what I'm looking for)Also, is it possible to convert a 2003 Web Application project to a 2005 Web Site project. (too late for my current projects.... but for future refernce) Many thanx     There may very well be a reason why the road o...

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

UpdatePanel & Form View in Web Site Project vs. Web Application Project
I am seeing two different behavour patters when using the UpdatePanel in a Web Application Project (File > Add New Project > ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Application) vs a Web Site Project (File > New Website > ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site) The exact same code will complie in one project type but not in another. The code is: <asp:FormView ID="FormView1" runat="server">   <EditItemTemplate>     <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">       <ContentTemplate>        ...

VS. 2003 => VS 2005 Web Site => Web Application Project?
Hi We converted our VS 2003 solution which contained 2 web application and 5 Class Lib projects to the standard Web site 2005 model. Now. Is there a way to convert from this to the new Web Application model automatically? Thanks in regards Anders   Via Scott Guthrie:  If you want to migrate an existing VS 2005 Web Site Project to be a VS 2005 Web Application Project, please also review these other VB and C# migration tutorials that walkthrough the Web Site to Web Application conversion process step-by-step.  This article here also describes some of the diff...

Ajax error calling Web Service from Web Application Project vs Web Site
I am implementing the code from the Asp.Net Ajax Video Demo “How Do I: Make Client-Side Network Callbacks with ASP.NET AJAX?”  The Web page is generating a javascript error (‘SimpleService’ is undefined) and is unable to recognize the Web service.  The downloaded examples work, however I have created the Demo (both the page and the web service) in a Web Application Project, rather than a Web Site.  The demo uses a Web site.  Because of this the page does not recognize the Web service. To ask the question another way: What needs to be done differently in a Web Service...

Converting web site project to web application in vs 2008
I am converting web site project into web applicatio project in vs 2008 and running into web reference related issue.  I am not so sure how to address this.  Our old web site application had app_webreferences folder with AllServices as sub folder and then all of the web services under that folder. for example:  AllServices\AService.wsdl  AllServices\BService.wsdl   AllServices\CService.wsdl   etc... our code references AllServices.BService in the code or AllServices.AService etc...  It seems like when I Right Clicked on web application project...

web application project VS Web site
When I have to create a new website in VS I normally  go to the File Menu and then select new website.But when I create a web application project and when I click on the properties of that I see so many options like for Build: Platform target, Errors and Warnings.why i don't see these properties in normal web site. Also where is all this setting info about the web application project is stored? Is it even important to mention the platform target like X86, X64, ItaniumThanks.   hi, just mention the source where u want to store, when u r creating a project and that project...

Web Site VS Web Application Project?
Hi,   I am heading up a project to help develop standards for development in asp.net 2.0 at my company (2 years late) and would like to hear some advice from the forum, from developers with experince on using VS2005, specifically about the topic of Web Site VS Web Application Project.   It seems that the Web Site is what is being pushed? Does Microsoft plan to eliminate the Web Application Project eventually? We have come to the decision that the Web Application Project is the right choice for upgrading existing projects but what is everyone using ...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

VS 2005 SP1 + .NET AJAX => automatically adds web.config in nested Web Application Project when opening project or solution
I get a 'Configuration Error' on an aspx page because VS added automatically a web.config to my nested Web Application Project where no web.config file should be. This effect I have noticed since I have installed SP1 and .NET AJAX Extensions. Why is VS 2005 adding the web.config file and how can I disable this behavior? Following is the content of the automatically added web.config file (comments omitted): <?xml version="1.0"?><configuration>    <appSettings/>    <connectionStrings/>    <system.web> &...

Web resources about - web app vs web site vs web project - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the urban low-income housing buildings called projects, see public housing . For other uses, see Project (disambiguation) . The word project ...

The Project Shrink - Welcome To Shrinkonia.
... about the importance of the environment we work in and the stories we tell, we should have a Set Designer and a Storyteller on our projects. ...

Better Projects
I think this book by Tobias is beautifully written. There is real craftmanship in the prose here. The book is made up of independent self contained ...

The droid she was looking for. Our BB-8 projects holograms... and JJ Abrams backstory
jurvetson posted a photo: The projection overlays the wood floor in my son's computer room. The JJ Abrams relaunch of the Star Wars franchise ...

Apple’s electric car effort hits a speed bump as project leader leaves the company
According to a new report from The Wall Street Journal , the Apple veteran employee who has been overseeing the company’s “Project Titan” electric ...

‘Apple Car’ hits a snag as its project leader departs
... is set to make his departure from the company: Steve Zadesky, a 16-year Apple veteran who has been overseeing its electric-car project for ...

Tor Project raises over $200,000 in attempt to “diversify” its funding
(credit: Tor Project ) As a result of its recent crowdfunding campaign, the Tor Project announced Thursday that it had raised over $200,000 ...

PJ Harvey announces 'The Hope Six Demolition Project' album details, reveals new music in trailer video ...
... spring that she recorded in public at a London art installation, and now details are finally here. It's called The Hope Six Demolition Project ...

Kickstarter paid a journalist to investigate its biggest failed project — here's what they found
... to Harris. Much of this additional funding came from a local business owner who is thought to have lost around £250,000 ($353,000) on the project. ...

What is Project Decibel? Everything we know about this mystery startup from the founder of Aereo
Aereo's tiny TV antennas nearly disrupted an industry. Now, the company's founders are starting a new venture.