Run-time problems after converting VS2005 web site to web application project

I've been reading about Web App Projects and how they eliminate the need for _vti files from FrontPage Server Extensions so I thought give it a try converting. I've read lots of stuff on this in this forum and elsewhere and I've gotten my project to build without any errors but I get failures trying to run the app.

To give an idea, I have a public site for development at http://www.mortgagedataweb.com/devmdw/default.asp which resides in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\devmdw on a webserver running WinServer2003. I also have a copy of this on my desktop running WinXP at http://localhost/devmdw/default.asp (which is on my local c disk in inetpub\wwwroot\devmdw.

On my desktop, I created a new web app project I called ProjectDevTest. After quite a bit of fiddling and research, I got it to build without errors but cannot get it to run.

First, I notice that when I right-click on my "start page" in my root - default.asp - there is nothing in the context menu that allows me to set it as a start page. I know this page is classic ASP but in the web site version I could set this attribute for default.asp.

I have some .aspx code in this app so I thought I'd try going directly to it. So, first I tried this in my public site at http://www.mortgagedataweb.com/DevMDW/OutMaps/default.aspx

That is, in my web "site" project, I was able to set OutMaps/default.aspx page as the starting page, build and RUN to it directly. But in my web "application" project, I set it as the start page and got this:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type '_Default'.

Source Error:

1    <%@ Page Language="vb"
2 Trace="true"
3 AutoEventWireup="false"
4 Inherits="_Default" Codebehind="Default.aspx.vb" %>
5
6 <%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="PickCompany" src="~/OutMaps/PickCompany.ascx" %>
7
8 <%@ Register TagPrefix="uc2" TagName="PickStateCounty" src="~/OutMaps/PickStateCounty.ascx" %>
9
10 <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
11 <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
12 <head id="Head1" runat="server">
13 <title>Untitled Page</title>
14 </head>
15 <body>
16 <form id="form1" runat="server">
17 <div>
18 <uc1:PickCompany ID="setCompany" runat="server" />
19 </div>
20
21 <div>
22 <uc2:PickStateCounty ID="setStateCounty" runat="server" />
23 </div>
24
25 </form>
26 </body>
27 </html>
28

1    Partial Public Class _Default
2 Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
3
4 Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
5
6 End Sub
7
8 End Class

 I'd love to get past this problem and get on to some of the real coding issues I know I will be facing. Thanks in advance for having a look and reading this far.Smile

John

Line 1:  <%@ Page Language="vb"
Line 2: Trace="true"
Line 3: AutoEventWireup="false"

Source File: /OutMaps/Default.aspx    Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210

Here is the source for this page (followed by the codebehind file):

John
0
jjamjatra

Why is it that a request for help can reside on the Microsoft Forums for years with no reply but with a group like experts exchange if 24 hours goes by with out a reply it is addressed by one of the forum moderators and directed to experts in that area.  Here it is a year and a quarter later, I am experiencing similar issues but no one has seen fit to address these issues!  I share the sentiment expressed above on needing to get past the migration issues and deealing with programming issues.

E.R. Joell
0
joeller

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

Problem Converting VS2005 Web site to VS2005 Web Application
I have a 2005 Web Site (no profile, no xsd) I need to convert to a 2005 Web Application. I downloaded SP1 and followed Scott's tutorial. After conversion and build I had 32 errors and 4 warnings. One set of errors has to do with the fact that I have 2 modules containing some utility functions in the Web Site. All calls from web pages to functions in these modules fail in the Web Application (they work fine in the Web Site).The error says: Name [FunctionName] not defined I suspect I need to add the modules to the project namespace, but just putting "namespace ThisProjectName / end namespace" around the modules does not help. I see the modules and their functions in the Solution window, but not in Intellisense. Moving them from Old_App_Code to the main project directory does not help.How can I get this to work ? The remaining errors are due to the fact that the designer duplicates some of the event handlers (Page_Load, Button_Click) on some pages (not on all ?!), so that "duplicate routines result with the same signature" (this is the error message). Why would the designer duplicate existing routines ?In the designer files it says "This can be moved to the code-behind file if..(it bothers you)", but I don't understand how. Can't I just delete the duplicate routines in the designer files ? Some of my routines contain additional code. Any help appreciated ! nb0512 This is resolved; t...

Is it possible to migrate VS2005 Web Application Project to VS2005 Web Site.
Good afternoon.On my first project using VS2005, it was a brand new project so we didn't have to face the migration issue.  As we were developing right after VS2005 was released, we created the code using File | New | Web Site.I have now moved onto my second project and this one is a migration from a previously existing .NET 1.1 codebase to .NET 2.0.   We are currently investigating the best approach for migrating this code from VS2003 to VS2005.  We are thinking that at least initially, we might convert the code into a VS2005 Web Application Project using the steps located at...

How convert VS2005 site web to new Web Application Project
We found out about the new Web Application Project tool a few days too late. Our VS 2003 web app has now been moved to the default VS2005 model. Now that we know about the new Project model add-in, we'd love to convert to that. Our biggest problem with the standard VS2005 model is that non-GACed references aren't stored anywhere...it just looks in the bin. This is a pain for our build/deployment process (no more Copy Local). We can GAC a lot of assemblies (even though we don't want to), but some of them are third-party unsigned assemblies or COM interop assemblies, so they have to be in th...

Converting a Web Application Project to a Web Site Project
I converted a VS 2003 web application to VS 2005 using the Web Application Project model.  Is it possible to convert this to a Web Site Project once it is upgraded to VS 2005? We don't have any automated tools to convert from VS2005 WAP to Websites.  If you really prefer to use the website model, I would recommend converting directly from VS2003 to Websites.  To do that you can open the VS2003 app using the "Open Website" command.Omar KhanVisual Web Developer Team I thought you were going to say that.  I have spent quite a bit of time getting rid of most of the warnin...

Converting a Web Site Project to a Web Application Project ?
I upgraded my .NET 1.1 apps to Web Site Projects long before this add on was released and was wondering if there's  a way to convert these Web Site Projects to Web Application Projects because I really did like the old way of just uploading one dll to the web server when updates came around.   Is there a way to do this?In this world there are 10 types of people, those that know binary and those who don't. Here are a couple of tutorials that describe how to do this: C# - http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx VB - http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBa...

vs2005 web application with vs2005 web deployment project build failed
We Migrated our faily large ASP.NET project (has several folder hierarchy and our aspx pages refers to usercontrols in parent folders) to a VS2005 Web Application (not web site) project.Migration went well. We can build and run the project successfully.But when we comes to deploy vs 2005 web application project we did not find publish web site option unfortunately.So we added a Web deployment project to our web application project. But we could not complie the web deployment projecteven though we can complie out web application project. We encounter the following error in all of our ascx pag...

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
 I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a few kinks when using the process on a VB project.  The Problem:After creating a new Web Application Project, copying in the old files, and running the "Convert to Web Application Project" process, the site would no longer build.  Any classes stored in the "Old_App_Code" folder (previously named...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a...

Converting web site project to web application in vs 2008
I am converting web site project into web applicatio project in vs 2008 and running into web reference related issue.  I am not so sure how to address this.  Our old web site application had app_webreferences folder with AllServices as sub folder and then all of the web services under that folder. for example:  AllServices\AService.wsdl  AllServices\BService.wsdl   AllServices\CService.wsdl   etc... our code references AllServices.BService in the code or AllServices.AService etc...  It seems like when I Right Clicked on web application project and clicked "Convert to Web Application" it did not do anything as to adding web reference. I guess I can add it manually but the problem I am having is how do I create subfolder called AllServices under web reference and put all web services (AService, Bservice, CService) in that one folder to minimize some of code changes.   It seems like in WebSite apllication the proxy class that was generated was just one because it was under AllService folder.  I essentially want to duplicate that in Web Applicaton project.  Anyhelp would be appreciated.   Thanks. Hi, You need to re-add these web services in your new Web Application. Before migrating any code into your new Web Application Project (using "Convert to Web Application"), you should first setup assembly references for it, such as add Service Reference. You also need to ma...

Web Site Project and Web Application Project
I hope someone can help me out with this question.I have been using Web Application Projects and like what it can offer because I am so used to how VS 2003 was structured. I am trying to teach someone the difference between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to create a new solution that is specific to the Web Site Project structure anymore. I thought when I installed Web Application Projects, I would have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects. Is there something I am overlooking when I ...

Web Application Project/Web Site Project
Hello, I have some couple of questions... 1) How do I know a particular application already built in asp.net is "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ?2) Also I have a application built in ASP.NET and If I open the source code in VS2005, Its giving a message saying this application is built in old version and it should be converted into new version before even using. So should I migrate the application to "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ? . kindly advise..(Note: This application is NOT very big or complex.) Thanks in Advance..Renil. 1)A web application pro...

Web Site Project or Web Application Project?
Hi all, I have a situation here.  My team's project has window and web clients, and we used Team System to control Source Code. We have a contract company that develop the generated codes for some of the web pages that being used in the web client.  They built it using Web Site Project.  We still need to develop some other web pages that has different functionalities than the code generator and one of our team member created a project which is a Web Application Project.  Now, the code generator doesn't work because it won't compile in our Web Application Pro...

Problem in converting Ajax based web site to Ajax based web application project
hi, i faced a problem in converting Ajax based web site project to Ajax based web application project  .i got  build errors of script manager,update panel,update progress whereever i use these controls in my applocation even i have already added all the respective dll files needed for this     In vplayer.designer.cs declaration of class as folllowing way:   public partial class VPlayer { protected System.Web.UI.ScriptManager scriptmanager1; protected System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel UpdatePanel1; protected System.Web.UI.UpdateProgress Updat...

Difference between Web Site Project, and Web Application Project?
Hi - can anyone please explain, in simple terms, what the difference is between a Web Site Project, and a Web Application Project? I've read Scotts blog at http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBasic/Migration/Migration.aspx - but am none the wiser. I'm about to upgrade from VS2003 to VS2005 - and don't want to waste a lot of time upgrading existing 2003 web apps to 2005 web site projects, if web application projects are more appropriate. Thanks for any guidance, Mark Hi.I have exactly the same question, and can't find any information about it.Can anyone help us?Sérgio Also i...

migrating web site project to web application project
hi i faced a different problem like i have all the namespace in my references folder but still the problem existed for scriptmanager,updatepanel,updateprogress     in default.aspx.designer.cs page it shows the error message can't found particular assembly  this is the declaration in default.aspx.designer.cs page protected System.Web.UI.ScriptManager ScriptManager1; Error 8 The type or namespace name 'ScriptManager' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Web.UI' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Web\web\web\Logged\default.aspx.des...

Converting VS2005 Web Site to Web Application
I have made a Web Application copy of an existing VS2005 Web Site project, however all the form controls controls are seemingly unknown to the code behind, yet the controls are present on the ASPX form. I have tried switching from design to source view and back again. (The original VS2005 Web Site version did compile OK.)Any Ideas? Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. The answer to my problem turned out to be Step 4: Conve...

how to convert a web application project to a web site
 I need to convert a web application project to a web site.  Is there a conversion program or process available? THXCurt  Easiest way will be to create a blank website, copy all files from web application to new website and change the page directive of all aspx pages.  Rgds,Neolsoft~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Mark as Answer if it helps you~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ THX!...

Difference between Web Site project and (NEW) Web application project?
Hi there,i have been reading about the new Web application project (addon) for Visual Studio 2005, all sounds really nice but i just can't put my finger on it...Whats the differences really? And why is  one better than the other?I also read about the Visual studio 2005 Web deployment projects, which from what i can gather allows us to deploy our code like back in 2003 i..e. with a BIN directory  and dll which is the compiled code behind stuff..are these in anyway linked together?Thanks in advacne for any info..Best rregardsIan Have a look here http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...

Integrate/combine web application projects with web site project
I have a (dnn) website, using the standard vs 2005 web site project. In it, I use a virtual directory that to develop modules. They are defined in web application projects, that build to the bin map of the main site. This works great: I can use web application projects to manage my modules (consisting of ascx controls and class libraries), and use the code I downloaded for dnn without changes.Now, when I add an aspx page in a web application project, I got a problem: It builds, but when I want to open the aspx page with the browser, I get an error that an http module defined in the web.confi...

Which is best web application projects or Web site projects in VS 2008
Hi, Using VS.NET 2008 We are developing a web based product (inventory, accounts,etc). This product has DA, BO layers. We are currently using web site project model. We are using webdelopyemnt project for deploying at client place.I want to know that, which model Web site model or web applicaton model is a best model for applications?I read most of the blogs and also articles for knowing difference between these two models.  But I am not coming under conclusion.Let me know your views and alos best answers Regards S. Muhilan   As you probably know, the difference between...

Web application project or Web site project which is "better"?
Hi,We are a bit confused as to which web project type is best to use.Currently we have a number of large projects in the old style with .vbproj files. These have been upgraded to VS2008 web application projects. Compilation seems slower of upgraded projects than created from scratch web site projects. I do get the impression MS is pushing the new style format for future releases.What are the advantages/disadvantages of the new web site project?Where do references get stored in the new style project?Where do the control declarations get hidden in partial classes?Thanks, Alex ...

VS 2005 Web Application project >> Web Site project
Hello,I am trying to do the uncommon, change a VS 2005 Web Application project (originally a converted 2003 Web Application project) to a VS 2005 Web Site project. There are many tutorials on how to either take a 2003 Web Application project, or 2005 Web Site project and turn them into into a VS 2005 Web Application project. (Not what I'm looking for)Also, is it possible to convert a 2003 Web Application project to a 2005 Web Site project. (too late for my current projects.... but for future refernce) Many thanx     There may very well be a reason why the road o...

Web resources about - Run-time problems after converting VS2005 web site to web application project - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

Patent application shows how Apple Watch could measure ambient sound to adjust volume of iPhone alerts ...
iPhones could in future automatically sound louder or quieter notification alerts depending on the level of background noise. A patent application ...

Stugan Games Accelerator Opens Applications for 2016
Games accelerator Stugan has opened its application process for its 2016 summer program. The program will accept 20 aspiring game developers, ...

eHosting DataFort to provide next generation data centre services with its Cisco Application-Centric ...
Al-Bawaba eHosting DataFort to provide next generation data centre services with its Cisco Application-Centric Infrastructure ... Al-Bawaba ...

Remote application server streamlines Windows desktop delivery
... that they need is therefore a challenging task. Cross platform solutions specialist Parallels is launching a new version of its Remote Application ...

Tech City UK received just 37 applications for a visa route that allows 200
Tech City UK, a taxpayer-funded government organisation, has received just 37 applications since April 2015 for a dedicated technology visa that ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 25% YoY
From the MBA: Rates Drop, Refi Applications Surge in Latest MBA Weekly Surve Mortgage applications increased 9.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications drop 2.6%
Mortgage rates fell last week, but so did record amounts of snow across much of the East Coast. Here's the connection.

Bjarke Ingels impressed by graduate's video job application
BIG founder Bjarke Ingels says he is "honestly impressed" by young job applicant Étienne Duval, whose covering letter is an animated rap that ...

Taiwan market: Foxconn leads patent applications in 2015
Hon Hai Precision Industry (Foxconn) topped local companies in the number of patent applications in 2015, with 659, according to data released ...