Problem Converting VS2005 Web site to VS2005 Web Application

I have a 2005 Web Site (no profile, no xsd) I need to convert to a 2005 Web Application. I downloaded SP1 and followed Scott's tutorial.

After conversion and build I had 32 errors and 4 warnings.

One set of errors has to do with the fact that I have 2 modules containing some utility functions in the Web Site. All calls from web pages to functions in these modules fail in the Web Application (they work fine in the Web Site).The error says: Name [FunctionName] not defined
I suspect I need to add the modules to the project namespace, but just putting "namespace ThisProjectName / end namespace" around the modules does not help. I see the modules and their functions in the Solution window, but not in Intellisense. Moving them from Old_App_Code to the main project directory does not help.How can I get this to work ?

The remaining errors are due to the fact that the designer duplicates some of the event handlers (Page_Load, Button_Click) on some pages (not on all ?!), so that "duplicate routines result with the same signature" (this is the error message). Why would the designer duplicate existing routines ?
In the designer files it says "This can be moved to the code-behind file if..(it bothers you)", but I don't understand how. Can't I just delete the duplicate routines in the designer files ? Some of my routines contain additional code.

Any help appreciated !

nb0512

0
NB0512

This is resolved; the first set of errors disappeared after I changed the Build Action of the modules from Content to Compile. Found this hint in another post in this trail. Thanks !

The remaining errors were due to the fact that the designer incorrectly named one partial class (the one for the _default form), probably because I had earlier renamed the form (form title or DIV title or class name or....so many titles to synchronize).

Anyway, runs smoothly now.Smile

0
NB0512

Is it possible to migrate VS2005 Web Application Project to VS2005 Web Site.
Good afternoon.On my first project using VS2005, it was a brand new project so we didn't have to face the migration issue.  As we were developing right after VS2005 was released, we created the code using File | New | Web Site.I have now moved onto my second project and this one is a migration from a previously existing .NET 1.1 codebase to .NET 2.0.   We are currently investigating the best approach for migrating this code from VS2003 to VS2005.  We are thinking that at least initially, we might convert the code into a VS2005 Web Application Project using the steps located at...

Run-time problems after converting VS2005 web site to web application project
I've been reading about Web App Projects and how they eliminate the need for _vti files from FrontPage Server Extensions so I thought give it a try converting. I've read lots of stuff on this in this forum and elsewhere and I've gotten my project to build without any errors but I get failures trying to run the app. To give an idea, I have a public site for development at http://www.mortgagedataweb.com/devmdw/default.asp which resides in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\devmdw on a webserver running WinServer2003. I also have a copy of this on my desktop running WinXP at http://localho...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

How convert VS2005 site web to new Web Application Project
We found out about the new Web Application Project tool a few days too late. Our VS 2003 web app has now been moved to the default VS2005 model. Now that we know about the new Project model add-in, we'd love to convert to that. Our biggest problem with the standard VS2005 model is that non-GACed references aren't stored anywhere...it just looks in the bin. This is a pain for our build/deployment process (no more Copy Local). We can GAC a lot of assemblies (even though we don't want to), but some of them are third-party unsigned assemblies or COM interop assemblies, so they have to be in th...

vs2005 web application with vs2005 web deployment project build failed
We Migrated our faily large ASP.NET project (has several folder hierarchy and our aspx pages refers to usercontrols in parent folders) to a VS2005 Web Application (not web site) project.Migration went well. We can build and run the project successfully.But when we comes to deploy vs 2005 web application project we did not find publish web site option unfortunately.So we added a Web deployment project to our web application project. But we could not complie the web deployment projecteven though we can complie out web application project. We encounter the following error in all of our ascx pag...

Converting VS2005 Web Site to Web Application
I have made a Web Application copy of an existing VS2005 Web Site project, however all the form controls controls are seemingly unknown to the code behind, yet the controls are present on the ASPX form. I have tried switching from design to source view and back again. (The original VS2005 Web Site version did compile OK.)Any Ideas? Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. The answer to my problem turned out to be Step 4: Conve...

Problem with Google Mini and web site or web application built in VS2005 not being searched
We have a project that pulls information from a database and creates dynamic pages.  The original project is in VS2003.  The Google Mini searches and finds the dynamic page with each different data record just fine in the 2003 version.  When the project was re-written in VS2005 using the exact same code it quit being searched by the Google Mini.  In the process of investigating we noticed that VS2005 makes each project (web app or web site) into a seperate web, where as VS2003 used to just make a folder instead of a new web.  If we convert the 2003 project to a web i...

Problem creating a custom control in a [web application] VS2005 rather than [web site]

Migrating web site (vs2005) to web application (vs2008)
Hi!  I followed http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx tutorial and it seemed that everything was ok. But after successful start I got this exceptions: Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: CS0433: The type 'ASP.banerzone3sm_ascx' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\tisnet\00e65f37\54991e22\App_Web_jr-am_rq.dll...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
 I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a few kinks when using the process on a VB project.  The Problem:After creating a new Web Application Project, copying in the old files, and running the "Convert to Web Application Project" process, the site would no longer build.  Any classes stored in the "Old_App_Code" folder (previously named...

Converting web site project to web application in vs 2008
I am converting web site project into web applicatio project in vs 2008 and running into web reference related issue.  I am not so sure how to address this.  Our old web site application had app_webreferences folder with AllServices as sub folder and then all of the web services under that folder. for example:  AllServices\AService.wsdl  AllServices\BService.wsdl   AllServices\CService.wsdl   etc... our code references AllServices.BService in the code or AllServices.AService etc...  It seems like when I Right Clicked on web application project...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a...

Converting a Web Application Project to a Web Site Project
I converted a VS 2003 web application to VS 2005 using the Web Application Project model.  Is it possible to convert this to a Web Site Project once it is upgraded to VS 2005? We don't have any automated tools to convert from VS2005 WAP to Websites.  If you really prefer to use the website model, I would recommend converting directly from VS2003 to Websites.  To do that you can open the VS2003 app using the "Open Website" command.Omar KhanVisual Web Developer Team I thought you were going to say that.  I have spent quite a bit of time getting rid of most of the warnin...

Converting a Web Site Project to a Web Application Project ?
I upgraded my .NET 1.1 apps to Web Site Projects long before this add on was released and was wondering if there's  a way to convert these Web Site Projects to Web Application Projects because I really did like the old way of just uploading one dll to the web server when updates came around.   Is there a way to do this?In this world there are 10 types of people, those that know binary and those who don't. Here are a couple of tutorials that describe how to do this: C# - http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx VB - http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBa...

Web resources about - Problem Converting VS2005 Web site to VS2005 Web Application - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

Application developers struggle to adapt to changing licensing models
Application producers are aware of rapid change impacting their ability to make money from their software products, but they're not adopting ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Slightly Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 0.2 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

LED market saturation to drive industry to seek profits in new applications in 2016, says LEDinside
According to LEDinside, LED makers had an especially tough year in 2015. "Despite rising LED lighting market demand and the large scale replacement ...