Migrating 2005 AJAX-Enabled Web Site to 2005 SP1 Web Application Project

Maybe I had a poor subject line in my last post.  Maybe I am too impatient, but this stuff shouldn't be that difficult...

Has anyone else had difficulties converting a 2005 AJAX-Enabled web site to 2005 SP1 Web App Project?  Specifically with UserControls or Server Controls and User Controls inside AJAX Update Panels?

I have been trying to upgrade my existing VS 2005 Web Site to a Web Application (that comes with SP1).  I followed Scott's migration tutorial [ http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ] but I have many problems regarding UserControls.  If you can help me or point me in the right direction, that would be great.

All my user controls report the same error.  "Element 'UserControl' is not a known element. This can occur if there is a compilation error in the Web site."

This may or may not be related to all server controls and user controls that are inside an AJAX UpdatePanel report a compile error:  "The name 'ControlName' does not exist in the current context"

The above errors are the ONLY errors I get during compile.  If you can help in any way, that would be GREAT!

I also do not see an option to build a new AJAX-Enabled Web Application Project instead of AJAX-Enabled Web Site.

Thank you.

Jim
----------------------
0
jrblack10

Migrating from VS 2005 Web Site Projects to VS 2005 Web Application Projects witn vb and c# code
I've tring to migrate Web Site to Web Aplication in VS 2005. In my Web Site I have pages written using VB and C#. During converting to WA i choose VB and only pages with VB code i can migrate. If I choose C# as language for WA only pages with C# I can migrate. Is a way to migrate Web Site with mix of VB and C# code? Wieslaw Hi, As far as I know, The ASP.NET Web application doesn't support that C# application project contains VB page or VB application project contains C# page. But it can compile the different language class file in project. In your case, you can tr...

VS 2005 SP1 + .NET AJAX => automatically adds web.config in nested Web Application Project when opening project or solution
I get a 'Configuration Error' on an aspx page because VS added automatically a web.config to my nested Web Application Project where no web.config file should be. This effect I have noticed since I have installed SP1 and .NET AJAX Extensions. Why is VS 2005 adding the web.config file and how can I disable this behavior? Following is the content of the automatically added web.config file (comments omitted): <?xml version="1.0"?><configuration>    <appSettings/>    <connectionStrings/>    <system.web> &...

VS 2005 Web Application project >> Web Site project
Hello,I am trying to do the uncommon, change a VS 2005 Web Application project (originally a converted 2003 Web Application project) to a VS 2005 Web Site project. There are many tutorials on how to either take a 2003 Web Application project, or 2005 Web Site project and turn them into into a VS 2005 Web Application project. (Not what I'm looking for)Also, is it possible to convert a 2003 Web Application project to a 2005 Web Site project. (too late for my current projects.... but for future refernce) Many thanx     There may very well be a reason why the road o...

migrating web site project to web application project
hi i faced a different problem like i have all the namespace in my references folder but still the problem existed for scriptmanager,updatepanel,updateprogress     in default.aspx.designer.cs page it shows the error message can't found particular assembly  this is the declaration in default.aspx.designer.cs page protected System.Web.UI.ScriptManager ScriptManager1; Error 8 The type or namespace name 'ScriptManager' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Web.UI' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Web\web\web\Logged\default.aspx.des...

Is it possible to migrate VS2005 Web Application Project to VS2005 Web Site.
Good afternoon.On my first project using VS2005, it was a brand new project so we didn't have to face the migration issue.  As we were developing right after VS2005 was released, we created the code using File | New | Web Site.I have now moved onto my second project and this one is a migration from a previously existing .NET 1.1 codebase to .NET 2.0.   We are currently investigating the best approach for migrating this code from VS2003 to VS2005.  We are thinking that at least initially, we might convert the code into a VS2005 Web Application Project using the steps located at...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

How to precompile a web application (not a web site) in a 2005 deployment project
I have a vs2005 vb.net based web application with some 300 aspx pages, one asmx page, and 6 standalone executables, one of which is a service. I already have a deployment project created and working. This is a proper vs2005 web application project, and not just opening a website. I want to be able to deliver precompiled web pages as the system is very slow after installation/reboot. I recently downloaded the "web deployment projects" thing as recommended by scottgu, but when I add this to my solution it always fails with       "asp...

VStudio 2005 SP1 and Web Site / Web App projects
Hi, Ive been using VStudio 2005 with Scott Guthries Web Application Projects add in.  Once the addin is installed, i get the option to create either a new Web Site (project-less model) or a new Web Application (project model).  On a different machine, Ive installed VStudio 2005 and then VStudio 2005 SP1.  I no longer get the option anywhere to create a new web site (proejct-less model).  The only option I have is for a new web application, which generates me a .csproj file. I know that SP1 has the new Web Application project support built in, but I thought the web site...

Difference between Web Application Project and Web Site in VS 2005
Hi There,  Please don't hit me if i ask this basic question - What is the difference between Web Application Project and Web Site in VS 2005?  I usually go ahead with a Website in VS but recently tried the Web Application Project and I saw a properties folder.  What is the use of that section? Anybody with descriptive post or link to a resource, would be of great help to clear the mist in empty head..Siva SenthilMy Share My Discoveryhttp://siva-senthil.stumbleupon.comhttp://del.icio.us/ksivasenthilPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you ...

Web Application Project/Web Site Project
Hello, I have some couple of questions... 1) How do I know a particular application already built in asp.net is "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ?2) Also I have a application built in ASP.NET and If I open the source code in VS2005, Its giving a message saying this application is built in old version and it should be converted into new version before even using. So should I migrate the application to "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ? . kindly advise..(Note: This application is NOT very big or complex.) Thanks in Advance..Renil. 1)A web application pro...

Web Site Project or Web Application Project?
Hi all, I have a situation here.  My team's project has window and web clients, and we used Team System to control Source Code. We have a contract company that develop the generated codes for some of the web pages that being used in the web client.  They built it using Web Site Project.  We still need to develop some other web pages that has different functionalities than the code generator and one of our team member created a project which is a Web Application Project.  Now, the code generator doesn't work because it won't compile in our Web Application Pro...

Web Site Project and Web Application Project
I hope someone can help me out with this question.I have been using Web Application Projects and like what it can offer because I am so used to how VS 2003 was structured. I am trying to teach someone the difference between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to create a new solution that is specific to the Web Site Project structure anymore. I thought when I installed Web Application Projects, I would have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects. Is there something I am overlooking when I ...

Conversion Error while converting from VS 2005 web site to Web application project
Hi all, I am trying to convert to WAP from Website VS 2005. I get the following error Error 3 Type 'frmXXX' already defines a member called 'Page_Load' with the same parameter types  I dont understand the error.Does this mean it compiling twice? Unable to research because of the vagueness of the error.   I followed the steps below 1) Move all the .aspx and *.cs files in new web application folder 2) Right click and convert to web application 3) rebuild the project. After following the steps above i get the error mentioned in the email   P...

Web resources about - Migrating 2005 AJAX-Enabled Web Site to 2005 SP1 Web Application Project - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

AJAX widget security enabled
OpenAjax Alliance Hub 2.0 is offered to isolate third-party widgets