Is it possible to migrate VS2005 Web Application Project to VS2005 Web Site.

Good afternoon.

On my first project using VS2005, it was a brand new project so we didn't have to face the migration issue.  As we were developing right after VS2005 was released, we created the code using File | New | Web Site.

I have now moved onto my second project and this one is a migration from a previously existing .NET 1.1 codebase to .NET 2.0.   We are currently investigating the best approach for migrating this code from VS2003 to VS2005.  We are thinking that at least initially, we might convert the code into a VS2005 Web Application Project using the steps located at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(VS.80).aspx.  However, there are several features of the VS2005 Web Site model that we would (eventually) like to use for this project.

Therefore, I wanted to find out if anyone has tried (or if it is even possible) to migrate a VS2005 Web Application Project to VS2005 Web Site?

Thanks,

Jim.

0
Jim_in_Washington

It is possible, but there isn't any tool support to assist you. If you were to attempt it manually, you would need to fully understand how the two compilation models differ. The easy part is changing the CodeBehind directive to CodeFile, the hardpart is dealing with things like code behind class visibility, standalone class files, pages and user controls that reference each other,  etc.

You should check out the following article: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336650.aspx

Bill Hiebert

Visual Studio Web Tools
0
billhie
4/4/2007 5:48:41 PM

Bill,

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate it.

 Jim.

0
Jim_in_Washington

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

vs2005 web application with vs2005 web deployment project build failed
We Migrated our faily large ASP.NET project (has several folder hierarchy and our aspx pages refers to usercontrols in parent folders) to a VS2005 Web Application (not web site) project.Migration went well. We can build and run the project successfully.But when we comes to deploy vs 2005 web application project we did not find publish web site option unfortunately.So we added a Web deployment project to our web application project. But we could not complie the web deployment projecteven though we can complie out web application project. We encounter the following error in all of our ascx pag...

Problem Converting VS2005 Web site to VS2005 Web Application
I have a 2005 Web Site (no profile, no xsd) I need to convert to a 2005 Web Application. I downloaded SP1 and followed Scott's tutorial. After conversion and build I had 32 errors and 4 warnings. One set of errors has to do with the fact that I have 2 modules containing some utility functions in the Web Site. All calls from web pages to functions in these modules fail in the Web Application (they work fine in the Web Site).The error says: Name [FunctionName] not defined I suspect I need to add the modules to the project namespace, but just putting "namespace ThisProjec...

How convert VS2005 site web to new Web Application Project
We found out about the new Web Application Project tool a few days too late. Our VS 2003 web app has now been moved to the default VS2005 model. Now that we know about the new Project model add-in, we'd love to convert to that. Our biggest problem with the standard VS2005 model is that non-GACed references aren't stored anywhere...it just looks in the bin. This is a pain for our build/deployment process (no more Copy Local). We can GAC a lot of assemblies (even though we don't want to), but some of them are third-party unsigned assemblies or COM interop assemblies, so they have to be in th...

Run-time problems after converting VS2005 web site to web application project
I've been reading about Web App Projects and how they eliminate the need for _vti files from FrontPage Server Extensions so I thought give it a try converting. I've read lots of stuff on this in this forum and elsewhere and I've gotten my project to build without any errors but I get failures trying to run the app. To give an idea, I have a public site for development at http://www.mortgagedataweb.com/devmdw/default.asp which resides in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\devmdw on a webserver running WinServer2003. I also have a copy of this on my desktop running WinXP at http://localho...

migrating web site project to web application project
hi i faced a different problem like i have all the namespace in my references folder but still the problem existed for scriptmanager,updatepanel,updateprogress     in default.aspx.designer.cs page it shows the error message can't found particular assembly  this is the declaration in default.aspx.designer.cs page protected System.Web.UI.ScriptManager ScriptManager1; Error 8 The type or namespace name 'ScriptManager' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Web.UI' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Web\web\web\Logged\default.aspx.des...

Migrating web site (vs2005) to web application (vs2008)
Hi!  I followed http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx tutorial and it seemed that everything was ok. But after successful start I got this exceptions: Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: CS0433: The type 'ASP.banerzone3sm_ascx' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\tisnet\00e65f37\54991e22\App_Web_jr-am_rq.dll...

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

Web Site Project or Web Application Project?
Hi all, I have a situation here.  My team's project has window and web clients, and we used Team System to control Source Code. We have a contract company that develop the generated codes for some of the web pages that being used in the web client.  They built it using Web Site Project.  We still need to develop some other web pages that has different functionalities than the code generator and one of our team member created a project which is a Web Application Project.  Now, the code generator doesn't work because it won't compile in our Web Application Pro...

Web Application Project/Web Site Project
Hello, I have some couple of questions... 1) How do I know a particular application already built in asp.net is "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ?2) Also I have a application built in ASP.NET and If I open the source code in VS2005, Its giving a message saying this application is built in old version and it should be converted into new version before even using. So should I migrate the application to "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ? . kindly advise..(Note: This application is NOT very big or complex.) Thanks in Advance..Renil. 1)A web application pro...

Web Site Project and Web Application Project
I hope someone can help me out with this question.I have been using Web Application Projects and like what it can offer because I am so used to how VS 2003 was structured. I am trying to teach someone the difference between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to create a new solution that is specific to the Web Site Project structure anymore. I thought when I installed Web Application Projects, I would have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects. Is there something I am overlooking when I ...

installing another Web Site Project inside my existing VS2005 website project
Hi,How do I go about installing another Web Site Project inside my existing VS2005 website project. I currently have both a forum WSP and my main WSP application within the same solution.  Both compile and run without error.  However they are separate applications and I would like to have them together in order to make use of my masterpages, and share controls between. Do I need to combine the web.config files? I figured I would just create a folder within my current main WSP ( Web Site PRoject ) and call it something like Forum and then copy the contents of the workin...

Trying to bring in 1.1 project as VS2005 "Web Application Project"
I have a 1.1 project from a few years ago and am trying to turn it into a 2.0 project, but when i open VS2005 (with SP1 installed) and then open the "sln" or "vbproj" file in the project, i get prompted with "The following web web projects must be convered to the new Web Site format" Where is the option to use Web Application Project instead of Web Site format?   Wasn't that one of the "gee whiz" things MS was bragging about in Service Pack 1?"If you make it idiot proof, they'll build a better idiot" I think you can try ...

Migrating from VS 2005 Web Site Projects to VS 2005 Web Application Projects witn vb and c# code
I've tring to migrate Web Site to Web Aplication in VS 2005. In my Web Site I have pages written using VB and C#. During converting to WA i choose VB and only pages with VB code i can migrate. If I choose C# as language for WA only pages with C# I can migrate. Is a way to migrate Web Site with mix of VB and C# code? Wieslaw Hi, As far as I know, The ASP.NET Web application doesn't support that C# application project contains VB page or VB application project contains C# page. But it can compile the different language class file in project. In your case, you can tr...

Web resources about - Is it possible to migrate VS2005 Web Application Project to VS2005 Web Site. - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

Development application for Holt golf course land open for public inspection
The developers selling 350 dwellings on disused parts of the Holt golf course have submitted their development application for public inspection. ...

Samsung Unveils the Latest Application Processor, Exynos 8 Octa, Built on 14-Nanometer FinFET Process ...
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced the newest member of its Exynos family of ...

MBA: Mortgage Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 18% YoY ...
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications fall 1.3%
Despite a sharp rise in mortgage interest rates, mortgage application volume was not affected as much as expected.

Thousands of Java applications vulnerable to nine-month-old exploit
A popular Java library has a serious vulnerability, discovered over nine months ago, that continues to put thousands of Java applications and ...

Sony Mobile, LG reportedly to develop smartphone application processors in-house
... Communications and LG Electronics reportedly will follow the steps of Apple, Samsung Electronics and Huawei to develop smartphone-use application ...