Drag and Drop from Solution Explorer onto Web Form doesn't drop object but drops file name instead

I can't seem to figure out why, when I drag and drop a user control from Solution Explorer onto my Web Form that the filename, including the directory spec., is dropped on the form rather than the object itself.  This is also true when I drag and drop onto the toolbox.  I can't seem to figure this one out...

0
MichelleBaker10

Hi MichelleBaker,

From your description, I understand that when you drag and drop a user control from Solution Explorer to your aspx page, instead of getting a user control instance, you can only get the link with file path of the user control. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

Actually, this behavior depends on the view of current opened aspx page. We encounter this issue when current view is “Source View”. Please change the page to "Design View" and then try again.

Sincerely,
Benson Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Benson

Web resources about - Drag and Drop from Solution Explorer onto Web Form doesn't drop object but drops file name instead - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects