Creating Web Service - Web Site vs. Web Application

Hello everyone,

I am creating a new web service, and was wondering what you all thought the advantages and disadvantages of creating it using a Web Site vs using a Web Application Project...thoughts?  Is one better than the other in terms of deployment?  Is one better for development and debugging?

Thanks!

0
d_helland

Hi d_helland,

To understand which one is prefer to your situation, please read the following two articles.

What's New in Web Projects
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f7fb46ye(VS.80).aspx

Introduction to Web Application Projects
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(VS.80).aspx#wapp_topic2
Purpose of Web Application Projects
The goal of Web application projects is to address some of the feedback we have heard from customers. Some developers find migrating Visual Studio .NET 2003 applications to the new Web site model in Visual Studio 2005 impractical, especially because precompiling (publishing) a Visual Studio 2005 Web site creates multiple assemblies.
The new Web application project type also enables some scenarios where Visual Studio 2005 Web projects are different than in the previous version of Visual Studio. For example, the new model has different semantics for Web subprojects where the subproject is not an ASP.NET or IIS application, but instead feeds its generated assembly to a parent application's Bin folder.
The new project type also provides a model that will feel familiar to developers who do not want to change how they structure their Web projects from how they use Visual Studio .NET 2003 today—for example, they want to continue to use a project file.
The new Web application project type does not replace the Web site project type introduced in Visual Studio 2005, which provides many new features and additional flexibility in how you manage Web applications. Instead, it is an alternative project type that you might choose depending on your requirements and your preferred development workflow. Some developers will find the default Visual Studio 2005 Web site project model natural and easy to use. Other developers will prefer a model in which project resources are defined explicitly (rather than implicitly by simply being in a folder) and in which they have tighter control over their project, and will therefore choose the new Web application project model. Rather than forcing developers to use just one project model, we will support both project models and allow developers to choose whichever Web project model works best for them.

Sincerely,
Benson Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Benson

Opening project created in VS.NET 2003 in VS.NET 2002?
hi everyone, Can this be done? i'm havin problems opening my applications. the solution file i created is not recognise by VS.NET 2002.. can anyone provide me with a solution? thanks very much.. It is not designed to do this, so don't think you are doing anything wrong. There is a tool designed to do this, it can be foundHERE You must register, but it is a free download. Hope this helps.Chris Paterra thanks very much.....

How can I create a Setup Project in VS.NET That Creates a Database
How can I create a Setup Project in VS.NET which creates a database on a selected server during setup? Hi TImalle,   Here is the link for your requirement.   Walkthrough: Using a Custom Action to Create a Database at Installation http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/49b92ztk(VS.80).aspx    Sincerely,Benson YuMicrosoft Online Community Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread....

Can't create vs.net project (server not runing.NET 1.1)
I am trying to start an asp.NET application project in my vs.net and I'm getting error after error.. I fix one, and the next one shows up.. == ERROR: == Server not running asp.net v1.1 I found an update to 1.1 on Microsofts site and installed it, restarted and I'm still getting this error. What is an easy way to find out the version of asp.Net that I'm currently running? == OTHER SUSPECTED PROBLEM: == When I request //localhost from IE, I get: No web site is configured at this address. But I am currently running a sebserver and my webpage works fine, but the only way...

vs.net 2005 Solutions and Projects question
kinda confused. I have this folder called C:\PROJECTS with a bunch of projects .. some are websites, some are webservices, one is a console ap, another is a Data Access layer (I presume classes). I'm suppose be taking over support for this code so the folder was dropped off on my local machine. Somehow, the prior developer was working on all of these under one solution, but i don't see a solution file anywhere. Also, everything appears to be under version control. If I attempt to open one of the projects, i see dependancies that are failing, by virtue of the underline and name XX...

Converting project from VS:Net 2003 to Vs.Net 2005
Hi there,can anyone help with converting a project from Vs.NET 2003 to vs.net 2005. Its not the internal workings that are a problem but the organization...I understand that under mydocuments\visual Studio 2005\  there are 2 directories (amongst others)1 is projects1 is websitesin projects these store the sln file and all the code for a gui app for examplefor websites in projects is just the sln which points to the websites directory where all the code is for a website i.e. under \mydocs\visual studio 2005\websitesam i right?So in simple terms, what is the best way of importing my vs.ne...

How to open a VS.NET 2003 project in VS.NET 2002
My colleague created a ASP.NET project by VS.NET 2003. I can not open it by the VS.NET 2002 in my machine. Can I call my colleague to modify some settings on this project and so I can open it by 2002? How to do that? thx...

Creating a new VS.NET project
I am trying to create a web form project by browsing and selecting an unused empty folder that I created for the project outside of the wwwroot directory but after selecting the folder the ok button is grayed out. VS.NET will only let me create a project called http://localhost/application1.aspx What am I doing wrong? Also, please recommend a good book on VS.NET (cause I need help!) Thanks, Justin. You don't want to create the folder using windows explorer first. You want to open the vs and create the new project. You would then change application1 to whatever you want it to...

Unable to create a VS.NET project.
I'm trying to create my first new project in Visual Studio.NET 2002 on Windows 2000 Professional. However, VS.NET won’t complete the process. Instead, I'm getting an error message referencing an invalid character in one of my system folders. I’m almost certain that the apostrophe in the system folder "Chris O'Connor" is the invalid character it's referring to. The error message reads as follows: "Cannot create the offline cache in 'C:\Documents and Settings\Chris O'Connor\VSWebCache\CJOCONNOR\WebApplication1'. Invalid character in web name "/C:/Documents and S...

How to deploy a VS.VB net project to websever withour VS.net
The VB app is developed on VS.net professional. I plan to deploy it on a web server that doesn't have VS.net. Would the code behind files cause problems? Should I compile the app and deploy the assembly only? I'd appreciate some quickstart tips on how to deploy a VS.net VB project to websever withour VS.net. Thanks. Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer" The only thing you would need to do is compile the project and push the .aspx files and the bin folder to the server, and of course any other sub-folders that are used in your app like images. The...

VS.NET Projects on the Net
If I'm done with a project/solution that I created with IIS(Localhost) and VS.NET, what files from the solution will I need to upload to the host? (Host in this case is Brinkster(Free Plan)) only the aspx and ascx files ... in the bin folder you will need the compiled dll files ... Also in the root you need: web.config and flobal.asax That's itVerhoeven Bart MCSD.NET Technical Project Leader There is only 2 files in the .bin folder. ..dll file and .pdb All the ACSX and ASPX files are in the project's folder. When ever I try building the project, I get nothing in the B...

Issue using control created in VS.net 2003 in VS.net 2002
I have a friend that has an issue using my asp.net C# custom control in Visual Studio.net 2002 that I have compiled under Visual Studio.net 2003. I never did test it with that version, but I was under the impression that it should still work as long as you don't use any features specific to the 1.1 framework (which I really don't think I did). My guess now is that this is correct, but only when using 2002 controls in 2003. I have searched the web, these forums, and MSDN for the last 30 minutes with no real answer. The guy that runs MetaBuilders (http://www.metabuilders.com/Faq.aspx) tell...

How to create a dll while building project in VS.NET ?
Hello, I got a control as a dll file. It works great : only have to add reference to it in VS.NET However, the source file in *.vb being provided, I thought of making some little text changes in the control, but I don't know how to do to see those changes in the actual dll and web page. I rebuilt the project, but there is no effect on the web page. Anyone knows what to do? Thanks JohannWebsite - Weblog After you built/rebuilt the project, a dll is generated in the bin/debug (/release is you set your project to release mode) folder. You need to copy that new dll to t...

Need Help With My Project. Creating a Customer service application
Hi,  I am currently working on a school project using Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition (VB language). I need some help in creating my customer service application and wondering if you guys could help me along.  My Project is to create a front desk customer service application for mobile company staff to handle customers. I have already create the following: 1) Login Page 2) 3 basic tables (Customer, Product and Service Information) I need help in the following and hope you guys will be able to help me out: 1) How to create a search page so that when the staff k...

How to generate/create site map in VS.NET 2005?
Is there an easy way to do this other than manually? thanks.  Sadly, no..... There are some projects on CodeProject.com that may help. http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/DynamicSitemapASPNET2.asp http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/ScionSiteMapProvider.asp http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/MutlipleSiteMap.asp http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/Dynamic_Sitemap.aspChris LoveASP.NET 2.0 Your Visual Blueprint for developing Web Applications Fist add 3 Web pages  to the Project    Steps For Sitemap  first Right click ur Soluction explorer and New Items...

Problems creating new projects in VS.Net 2003 EA
I have recently installed Visual Studio .Net 2003 Enterprise Architect and am having problems creating new projects. The error message I encounter is as follows: "The application for the project 'f:\Program Files\Microsft Visual Studio .Net 2003\VC#\VC#Wizards\DefaultWinExe.csproj' is not installed. Make sure tha application for the project type (.csproj) is installed." I have tried repairing / reinstalling Visual Studio, but to no avail. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks, Martin Try doing a "Find files" in Windows for "DefaultWinExe.cspr...

Web resources about - Creating Web Service - Web Site vs. Web Application - asp.net.vs2005-webapp-projects

Pre-Christmas job application rush hits Australian public service
Speed required for pre-Christmas job window opening for public servants. Check out who is hiring.

New application delivers predictive personalization for Oracle users
... their customers so they can accurately target their efforts. Machine intelligence-based marketing platform Boomtrain is launching a new application ...

NASA is accepting astronaut applications, and this quiz will tell you if you qualify
... gone before, then you might want to sign up to be a NASA astronaut. On Dec. 14, for the first time in four years, NASA began accepting applications. ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 34% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.1 percent from one week earlier, ...

SMIC and M31 introduce differentiated IP solutions for storage controller applications
China-based IC foundry Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC) has announced the company will expand its IP portfolio with M31 Technology's ...

NASA accepting applications for the position of 'astronaut'
Wanted ads aren't usually newsworthy, unless the company is NASA and the job is "going to space." The US space agency has started recruiting ...

Businesses Struggling with Application Performance Issues
Many IT teams still don't have a monitoring solution in place or don't have a solution equipped to detect certain types of performance issues. ...