Windows and Web-based Applications

What are the advantages & disadvantages of Windows and Web-based applications? Which one of the two should be preferred to develop internet applications?
0
tmaora

First of all, you're talking about two distinctly different things

Windows forms - desktop apps (the kind you normally install on your computer and run from there
Web Forms - you create web pages/apps to be viewed through a browser. -- Internet Applications....

Also - take a look at this MSDN article I found today:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/mdiappsmenus.asp
David Wier
MCP/ASPInsider
ASPNet101.com - where to look first!
Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!
augustwind

Thanks for your reply. Actually I want to develop an Inventory Application which will hosted at Head Office Server & would receive online transaction from different sites i.e Factory etc.
My question is that which of the two approaches (Windows/Web application) should I adopt in VS .Net to develop the system.
regards
0
tmaora

How to call a windows based application through a web based application
 Hi All, I am using a web based application in which i need a particular windows based application at a given time when the user wants it. But i am not able to link them. Plz give any solution Ok this will be a good game for you. Go to the local computer whose windows application is to be accessed. Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Component Services, browse to Component Services->My COmputer ->DCOM Config -> Here select your application..right click it..select properties...click security tab...access permission...customize...edit....in access permission ...

How to extract xml file from window application to web application in .net
hi..i have two software solutions both in .net one is desktop and another is web application.And i want to transfer data between these application using xml. In desktop solution i have created a xml schema and create a xml document that conforms to that schema.XML doucment is created which contains the data.Now i have to extract this xml document into my web application and store the data of this xml file into my database and vice versa. So tell me what are the different methods to get the document from desktop to web and from web to desktop.Actaully i am not much aware of this type i...

How i call windows application in web application without using dll of windows application
i want to call Windows application in web Application Without using dll of Windows application in ASP.net 2.0  hi!try this: ProcessStartInfo pi = new ProcessStartInfo("app.exe"); pi.CreateNoWindow = true;  Process p = Process.Start(pi); p.WaitForExit(); if (p.ExitCode != 0){//report error } orzeh  code less, think more!...

Web Based Windows Application
Hi, Our application is not purely web based application developed in C#.net. It's a web based windows application. We normally load Windows User control on a web page. Since this is a web application once the package of our application is installed it gets installed in DefaultWebsite in IIS directory. All the assemblies refered by this application remains in the Application Virtual Directory itself. The application works fine while accessing the URL. But in client machine we use a Internet Explorer add on tool named Fiddler in order to monitor the network traffic. The actual problem ari...

How to deploy .Net Windows/Web applications
Hello can anyone please advise me guide me how to deploy .Net Windows/Web applications. I know how to do basic deployment but i want to know more about database connection string, Support files specific to application.   Please help--------ThanksSK Hi there,Database connections will not change too much, you will only need to change the Uid,password, server and sometimes database name.you can also create a setup file which will setup all the things. check out these:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818016 http://15seconds.com/issue/041229.htm http://www.microsoft.com/tec...

how to convert existing web application to AJAX based web application
 Hy, i have developed a web application in asp.net 2.0 but due to so many post backs i want to convert this application to AJAX based to fulfill the future requirements, if you have any idea then please share with me, thanks in advance Regards, Aamir Dharani  This post has the answer you're looking for: http://forums.asp.net/p/1144152/1854320.aspxHanan Schwartzberg--------------------http://www.lionsden.co.il...

Web Application our Windows Application
Hello I am Mona ali, I am developing  a project for HR Management.There is a bank with a lot of people information and about 40 users will work with this bank.  I dont know if  it would be better to design this project in web our windows apllication. Please guide me ASAP! Thanks Mona A windows application would be more secure if the data will be sensitiveMark this post as 'Answer' if (answer == true)Construction Software : www.proccm.comHomeowners place to find contractors www.benspost.org Hi could you be more specific as to your requirements....

Converting a VS 2005 Web Application to a VS .NET 2003 Web Application
Well it seems that I am going against the stream here, but one of our clients wants the web application I wrote in Visual Studio 2005 to be deployed using Visual Studio .NET 2003. What's the best way to go about this without rewriting the whole dang thing? I would probably create a new 2003 project, copy all of your aspx and other files into it, attempt a build and see what happens.  If you didn't use a lot of the new controls (like membership, personalization, masterpages etc, then you will probably be ok with just minor changes.  If you did rely on a lot of the newer c...

web based windows application........plz help!
Hi........i'm a  novice here.....i really dont know if i can ask this question here..........I want to develop a windows application (web based windows application) which should run in tandem with a web site.The windows application will have 3 sections 1) List 2) Visuals 3) Text and a built in web browser...........Let us suppose in the list section we have 2 sub lists namely Fruits and Vegetables in the sub list Fruits we have 5 buttons 1) Grape 2) Banana 3)Orange 4) and 5) are empty slots. when a user clicks the button Grape in the visuals section photographs of the grapes will b...

how to embed windows based exe into the web application
Hello, I have a windows based .exe which will send sms to a particular user at it's sms number from my data base. What I need to know? How to embed this exe in my web based applicationhow to pass sms nymber to the exe and text to send the messge.It will run in backup, like when user clicks on the send sms button, it will automatically pick sms number and message text from the databse and send this message to the sms number.Please help me, waiting for  a prompt reply, junior   I notice that you have a backend database. This makes integration a fairly ...

Web resources about - Windows and Web-based Applications - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003

Application developers struggle to adapt to changing licensing models
Application producers are aware of rapid change impacting their ability to make money from their software products, but they're not adopting ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Slightly Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 0.2 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

LED market saturation to drive industry to seek profits in new applications in 2016, says LEDinside
According to LEDinside, LED makers had an especially tough year in 2015. "Despite rising LED lighting market demand and the large scale replacement ...