Visual Studio.Net and Visual Database Tools (SQL Server)

I am using Visual Studio.Net and SQL Server 2000 Developer's Edition. When I open VS.Net and try to use the Visual Database Tools with SQL Server 2000 I don't get all the editing options. I can connect to the database fine, read data from all the databases and tables but I don't have options to create new stored procedures or edit existing ones or edit tables, etc. I figure this is a permissions issue but I haven't been able to get it to work. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Jason
0
Jason_Hedges

Jason,

What edition of VS are you using?
--Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP - Directory Services
http://www.briandesmond.com
0
bdesmond
3/2/2003 5:07:39 AM
I'm using Visual Studio.Net Professional (2002), SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition, and Windows XP Professional (SP1).

Thanks,
Jason
0
Jason_Hedges
3/3/2003 1:10:25 AM
Professional doesn't support what you want to do.

Take a look at this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/howtobuy/choosing.asp
--Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP - Directory Services
http://www.briandesmond.com
0
bdesmond
3/3/2003 1:41:15 AM
What exactly are you looking at on the MSDN website? The Professional version comes with the Visual Database Tools. It does not come with SQL Server 2000 but I have my own license for SQL Server 2000 Dev Edition seperate from Visual Studio. I have used the feature I am referring to on another machine running Visual Studio.Net Professional. I am just having trouble getting it to work on with my current configuration.

Jason
0
Jason_Hedges
3/3/2003 9:29:09 PM
Have you tried it with the sa password, or reinstalling VS?
--Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP - Directory Services
http://www.briandesmond.com
0
bdesmond
3/3/2003 9:44:25 PM
"In Visual Studio .NET Professional, these design capabilities are limited to the SQL Server Desktop Engine. "

WHY WHY WHY !!!!!!
I wish I had know this before ordering.
0
gsc4
7/4/2003 6:56:38 AM
Can you say exactly what it is you are looking for functionality wise? I have the student edition of VS 2002 (basically the pro version really) and sql server 2000 (I think Enterprise edition at the moment but it doesnt matter)

Thing is, I get the functionality that you mentioned - I can create stored procedures and even new tables I think
Simon
0
sh856531
7/4/2003 9:37:23 AM
VS2003 seems to fix this issue.
--Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP - Directory Services
http://www.briandesmond.com
0
bdesmond
7/4/2003 3:19:36 PM
Ok, now I am confused.  Can someone outline the answer:

1. under vs 2002 professional, I could create / modify / edit data in sql (used msde then)
2. under vs 2003 professional, I can only edit data (use sql 2000, not msde)
What, if any, are the limitations to modify sql data structures. If the limitation is to msde only, why? It seems the point of most of vs development is to use the server the data is based on (mostly sql, not msde).
Thanks for the clarifications.
Thanks.

David Knoble

davidmknoble@msn.com
0
dknoble

Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

Visual Basic.NET or Visual Studio.NET?

Create a New SQL Server Database from Within Visual Studio .NET
Hi I am having trouble creating a new database from within visual studio.net. I have this server "compaq" where all the existing databases are stored and now when I am trying to create a new database I am getting a message that says I cannot create a database on this server . Also I am not able to add new tables in the existing databases from within visual studio.net. Infact there is no option as new table when I right click Tables.Infact I cant add anything new from within visual studio.net. I just dont seem to get it. I need help.ThanksNew_bee Sounds like your user doesnt have permission...

Visual C#.Net vs Visual Studio.Net
I have read in other posts a lot of people recommending Visual Studio.Net over the Web Matrix. My query is: why is there a £700 difference between VS.Net and Visual C#.Net? As a c# developer, I won't need any VB functionality. I also don't require Visual Source Safe, as projects are generally small and manageable. What features are lacking in Visual c#.net that justifies the price difference? Does it have Intellisense / Dubuggers / Compilers? These are the features that would make me pay for it instead of continuing with WM, but I need to know if tehre is serious functionality missin...

can't connect to sql server database with same connection used in visual studio .net 2003
I have the following code that works fine in visual studio .net 2003 but not with VWD.  I have sql server 2000 developer edition installed locally and this connection works fine with visual studio.  With VWD it fails with the exception "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'DARRELL\ASPNET'".  It fails on the conn.Open line.   any ideas on what the issue is?Dim conn As SqlConnectionDim connstr As Stringconnstr = "Data Source=DARRELL;Initial Catalog=Event;Integrated Security=SSPI;"Dim daEvents As New SqlDataAdapter("select * from events", connstr...

Web resources about - Visual Studio.Net and Visual Database Tools (SQL Server) - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003

ERISA and All Claim databases
... laws, on the books in 18 states, requiring self-insured employers to report data about the prices they pay to “all payer claims databases.” ...

Five million customers affected by Vtech database hack
Toy and educational material seller Vtech has revealed five million customers were affected by a hack of its app database and has also suspended ...

Old database dump from Nexus Mods circulating in criminal circles: Change password
Nexus Mods, a gaming site which has mods for 216 games , warned users about a “ potential database breach ” after a Reddit user was alerted by ...

Change your passwords: NexusMods suffers database breach
... security breach by posts on reddit. Cybersecurity firm REN-ISAC had apparently contacted several university IT departments about a database ...

EFF confirms that the DEA has deleted its phone call database
Earlier this year, it was revealed that the NSA's massive surveillance program had a precursor: the Drug Enforcement Administration's USTO, which ...

VTech Admits Lack of Database Security Opened Door to Hack
A SQL injection, a common software flaw, was found to be the root cause in the VTech breach.

Animal Venom Database Could Be Boon To Drug Development
A new public database that catalogs animal toxins could spur the development of new drugs made with compounds found in animal venom.