using Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1??

sorry if this is not the right forum, but i don't know where should i post this,
well...i have no problem exactly right now, i just wonder that i'm using two version of .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1. I get the .NET Framework 1.0 from Visual Studio .NET, which i installed the VB.NET and i get the 1.1 version because it says that ASP.NET requires 1.1 version so i download it in microsoft site. My question are, is this two version compatible? can i used only one version which is .NET Framework 1.1 only and remove the 1.0 version? I have Web Matrix that used .NET Framework 1.1 and VB.NET that used .NET Framework 1.0, is there some compatibility issue if i open my project in either way? thanks...for this forum.
Alek....
0
alek23

There are differences between the frameworks, but they can be installed side-by side.  So you can have one application running the 1.1 framework and another running the 1.0 framework.  Here's a link to an article that explains the situation.  Keep in mind that you can use one version for both VB.NET and web matrix, since web matrix is an IDE and VB.NET is a language that is supported by both frameworks.  HTH
Eric Landes

MADNUG President http://www.madnug.net
Crystal Alliance Editor
Blog http://aspadvice.com/blogs/elandes
Microsoft MVP
0
ericlandes
10/6/2004 5:45:27 PM
oh i see...thank for the tips, you've said that i can use one version of .NET, how can i do that? so..it means if my VB.NET using 1.0 and Web Matrix is 1.1 then i can switch the VB.NET to used the .NET 1.1?
0
alek23
10/7/2004 11:32:49 AM
I would say if you have time, try compiling that VB.NET from 1.0 into 1.1.  If there's a ton of errors, then it might be work running it side-by-side, unless you are going to add features to that application anyway.  If you're planning on making mods to the app, then just correct the errors from 1.0 and do all the new features in 1.1.

I did discover that my IIS has an ASP.NET tab (when you click properties on your virtual directory), that allows you to set the framework version for that directory. So setting versions for your application should be trivial. HTH.
Eric Landes

MADNUG President http://www.madnug.net
Crystal Alliance Editor
Blog http://aspadvice.com/blogs/elandes
Microsoft MVP
0
ericlandes
10/7/2004 1:04:49 PM
I just realized that asp.net tab is not available if you don't have the asp.net 2.0 beta installed.  So please disregard that and use the article I posted earlier on how to specify framework versions.
Eric Landes

MADNUG President http://www.madnug.net
Crystal Alliance Editor
Blog http://aspadvice.com/blogs/elandes
Microsoft MVP
0
ericlandes
10/7/2004 2:34:30 PM

thanks...yes i already read the article that you can change the version of .NET from 1.0 to 1.1 from IIS, i'm just working on it right now.
0
alek23
10/9/2004 2:14:00 PM
Is Visual Studio 2003 compatible with the .NET fremework 2.0 beta?  I have installed the VS 2005 VWD beta 1 which required it.  I also have .NET 1.1 installed for the support of Web Matrix, which was a cool product, but the help files were "No help".
0
Shea
10/12/2004 3:32:42 AM
If you've installed VS 2003 first, then VS 2005, you should be able to run both versions.  Just use the ASP.NET tab in IIS to set the version number for that Virtual directory.  I'm doing this at home with an XP box.
Eric Landes

MADNUG President http://www.madnug.net
Crystal Alliance Editor
Blog http://aspadvice.com/blogs/elandes
Microsoft MVP
0
ericlandes
10/12/2004 1:08:26 PM
Thanks,  but No, I have installed Web Matrix first with .NET 1.1, then VS 2005 with .NET 2.0 beta and plan to install VS 2003 next week.  I didn't even install IIS this time because neither Web Matrix nor VWD required it.

I had it installed previously because I was running a trial version of SQL 2000 and wanted access to the GUI controls that you don't get with MSDE.
I now know that if I need to develop a dynamic site ASAP, I can't wait for Beta 2 or final release of VS 2005/VWD next Summer. So I am planning to do so with VS 2003. Since this will become a production machine, should I just get rid of the .NET 2.0 beta, Web Matrix and VWD and just have VS 2003 and .NET 1.1?
Shea
0
Shea
10/12/2004 4:47:46 PM
Well, you can have both VS 2003 and VS 2005 living side by side on your machine.  Not having VS 2003 changes what I was talking about, since this forum is really on VS 2003, and it sounds like you were talking about using VS 2005 (maybe I just missed that part).  Were your questions about VS 2005?  If so there's actually another forum for that, where you might find better answers to your questions.  If they are about using Web Matrix, I'm not that familiar with that product, but I would think there is a forum for it also.

When you say production machine, you mean that will be your web server? If so, just install ASP.NET framework 1.1 and IIS on it (also maybe SQL Server). Your development enviroment would have Visual Studio on it.
Eric Landes

MADNUG President http://www.madnug.net
Crystal Alliance Editor
Blog http://aspadvice.com/blogs/elandes
Microsoft MVP
0
ericlandes

.NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1
If a .NET application has been developed under .NET Framework 1.0, are there any problems when deploying the application in a system running Framework 1.1? Please advise. From my knowledge there is no problem; in .Net back ward compatibility is there! Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti no problem as long as you have the configuration file with all the dll mapping stuff right.Christian CalderonNeed to work in Classic ASP? then do it the right way with CLASP!Classic ASP Framework I don't English. hi... im using windows xp pro, visual studio.net, an...

NET Framework 2.0 and NET Framework 1.1
Can framework 2.0 and framework 1.1 be installed and used on the same PC at same time? can asp.net 1.1 and asp.net 2.0 running site by site together? Thanks. Hi,yes they can. At my current machine I have these installed .NET 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 without any problems.Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons. after creating a website don't forget to check that this website uses which version of .net (go to website properties--> ASP .NET in IIS)feed the creative machine...

How to set WebMatrix to use .net framework 1.1 instead of 1.0
I have installed .net framework 1.0, followed by 1.1 and then Web Matrix. How do I set Web Matrix to refer to 1.1 ? Currently, it defaults to 1.0 ? Rgds. 1 - Open the WebMatrix.exe.config 2 - Add the following snippet immediately before the <runtime> section on line 18: <startup> <supportedRuntime version="v1.1.4322" /> </startup> After modification, the file should look like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <configuration> ... </configSections> <...

How to use .net 1.1 on webserver after adding .net 2.0 Framework
I have a web server with .net 1.1 installed on it. I am going to install the .net 2.0 framewrok on my server. How can I select the .net 1.1 framework for my existing applications that are already using 1.1 after I install 2.0. Someone told me about going onto IIS and in the properties there is a tab to select the version of .net, I have looked at this but it there is no tab to choose .net version, my web server is ms server 2000. Anyone any idea how to do this? Thanks macca macca:Someone told me about going onto IIS and in the properties there is a tab to select the version of .net, I...

how to upload vs2002 framework 1.0 to vs2003 framework 1.1
Hello,, Right now i m working with vs2002 framework 1.0 now i want update framework 1.0 to framework 1.1.. weather its possible to update vs2003 framework1.1.... if its possible give suggestion .. regards. Manjunath.H Install the 1.1 framework.  If you wish, remove the 1.0 framework. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Having 1.0 and 1.1 .NET framework on the same machine
Hi: I have two version of .NET installed on my machine (I just recently installed 1.1) and having some problem with some of the applications since I installed 1.1 serive pack 2. My first question is 1. which version of .NET will be running my application old 1.0 or new 1.1 2. how would I know which version of .NET is running my application 3. how can I configure my applications to run against a speccific version. I haven't look much into configuration, may be there are ways you can config your web.config to run against a specific version? Any help would be appreciated Th...

.NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 #2
I develop apps on a Windows server running Framework 1.1. Initially we had 1.0 installed on our local computers and was later on upgraded to 1.1. When I try to build a component that was made for 1.1, it gives me an error saying that I am using v1.0. When I go to Help -> About in Visual Studio, I see .NET 1.0 listed When I go to Add/Remove programs, I see both .NET 1.0 and .NET 1.1 listed Why is it using 1.0 when 1.1 is installed? Please help. Have you upgraded your version of Visual Studio to VS 2003? You'll need that version to build for Framework 1.1JimMS MVP ASP.NET [VC+...

Run application (with Framework .net 1.1) in Framework .net 2.0
Dear All Is it possible to make the application built in Framework .net 1.1 to run in Framework .net 2.0 or to install it in Framework .net 2.0 without modifying its codes? I was told that it will not be compatible, but I tried to run it in .net 2.0 and it can be run successfully. But I have not fully tested it. But if I open it in VS2005, it will give me a lot of errors and warning. So I wonder can I just run it in .net 2.0 without touching its code. By the way, I found that there are v1.0.3705 and v2.0.50727 in my C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework. I have already uninstall ...

Confused! DNN 1.0.10 on .NET 1.0 or 1.1?
What version of ASP.Net should I be running DNN 10.0.1d on? Currently i am running it on 1.0 on both test server and live, but this means that some 3rd party modules will not work and i get the "File or assembly name System, or one of its dependencies, was not found" error.. So what should i be running? can i just swicth over now to 1.1 and all will be fine and dandy? i do not want to have to go into the code and recompile. From the DNN 2.0 documentation i thought this would be the version for .Net 1.1 and that DNN 1.0 was for .Net 1.0 and therefore i should change over t...

Web resources about - using Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1?? - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message