Report freezes up when report data is changed

I'm operating Visual Studio .net 2003 with Windows XP.

When I make any type of change in the data tab section of a report the programs locks up or freezes up when I run it will in that tab or when I try to advance to the Preview or Layout Tab. This has been going on for about two months. Two months ago I could make changes to the same reports with no problems.

 I have sent my .rdl to a coworker and he opens it up and can make changes and runs the report fine.

 I have reinstalled the visual studio 2 times. And still the same issue.

I did uninstall the program before I reinstalled however the new install still had some of my preferences so I'm not sure if it was ever completely uninstalled.

It is not all reports and if I don't make any changes in the Data tab section the report runs fine.

Please any help or suggestions.

Sincerely,

edited 112/02/2008

I uninstalled and reinstalled a thrid time and still the same reports hang up when a change is detected in the data tab section. Even if you so added something and the delete what you added before you do anything, so you really didn't change anything, run it or select the layout or preview tab and it freezes up for an hour.

CardGunner
0
Card

It seems that the IDE hangs when we change it from Visual Studio 2003.

Please install Visual Studio 2003 SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=69d2219f-ce82-46a5-8aec-072bd4bb955e&displaylang=en

If we disable Add-ns (“Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) and run “devenv.exe /safemode”, do we still have the problem? This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems.

We also can create a simple test project with Report to see if it works.

We also can try to use Visual Studio debugger to troubleshoot hang conditions in the Visual Studio .NET IDE to get the root cause of Visual Studio hang. For more information, see How to debug error messages and hang conditions in the Visual Studio .NET IDE (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893661).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
12/4/2008 6:48:16 AM

Thank you Thomas for your reply.

 I already had the update installed but did it again for good measure.

I have nothing in my Add-in Manager to disable. I selected view> then other windows> then Command window. I inserted the code as above devenv.exe/safemode in front of the ">" and I got  Command "devenv.exe" is not valid. I'm not familiar with the command window and this is the first time I have seen it or tried to use it.

I tried the debugger but not sure if I did it right. I opened the 2 VS sessions and did as the instructions asked. I ran the report. Nothing happened for about an hour like ( The report does that), Finally when the report unfoze, or finished running the degguer thrown up a pop-up error. it said :

A first chance exception of type 'System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaException' occurred in system.xml.dll

Additional information: System Error

I had 3 choices to select - Break, Continue, or help. I selected Help and it said I did not have the right documentation loaded to help. I selected continue for about twenty times (It came up with the same pop up error as above) till I accidently hit break. After I hit break A window in the bottom populated with the following:

> system.xml.dll!System.Xml.Schema.CompiledContentModel.CheckContent + 0x5d2 bytes
  system.xml.dll!System.Xml.Schema.Validator.ValidateElementContent + 0x94 bytes
  system.xml.dll!System.Xml.Schema.Validator.Validate + 0x18e bytes
  system.xml.dll!System.Xml.Schema.Validator.Validate + 0x23 bytes
  system.xml.dll!System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.ReadWithCollectTextToken + 0x1ff bytes
  system.xml.dll!System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read + 0x1b bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.b.d + 0x93 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.i + 0xd78 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.a + 0x656 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.a + 0x30 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.a + 0x8e bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.b + 0xb3 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.c + 0x135 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.d + 0xce bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.a + 0x29b bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.b + 0x130 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.a + 0x76d bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.a + 0x30 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.a + 0x2b6 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.am + 0xb01 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.a + 0x177 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.as.a + 0x96 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessing.a + 0x50 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.processing.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessing.CreateIntermediateFormat + 0x8e bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.reportpreview.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportPreview.ReportCompiler.CompileReport + 0xd8 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.designer.dll!Microsoft.ReportDesigner.Project.ReportProjectPreviewStore.GetCompiledReport + 0x14e bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.reportpreview.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportPreview.PreviewService.GetPublishingResult + 0x28 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.reportpreview.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportPreview.LocalReport.CreateCompiledReport + 0x8a bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.reportpreview.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportPreview.WinReportServiceViewer.WinReportControl_ReloadReport + 0xe4 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.reportpreview.dll!Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportPreview.WinReportServiceViewer.ReportPreview + 0x347 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.designer.dll!Microsoft.ReportDesigner.Design.PreviewFrame.RefreshPreview + 0x1e4 bytes
  microsoft.reportingservices.designer.dll!Microsoft.ReportDesigner.Design.RootDesigner.OnActiveViewChanged + 0x4f bytes
  microsoft.datawarehouse.dll!Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.EditorWindow.OnActiveViewChanged + 0x1b bytes
  microsoft.datawarehouse.dll!Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.EditorWindow.outlookBar_SelectionChanged + 0x29 bytes
  microsoft.datawarehouse.dll!Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.OutlookBar.OnSelectionChanged + 0x1b bytes
  microsoft.datawarehouse.dll!Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.OutlookBar.set_SelectedIndex + 0xd2 bytes
  microsoft.datawarehouse.dll!Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.OutlookBar.toolBar_OnButtonClick + 0x2b bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.OnButtonClick + 0x16 bytes
  microsoft.datawarehouse.dll!Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.VsStyleToolBar.OnButtonClick + 0x7e bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WmReflectCommand + 0x49 bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WndProc + 0x2f bytes
  microsoft.datawarehouse.dll!Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.VsStyleToolBar.WndProc + 0x198 bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage + 0xb bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc + 0xbc bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback + 0x30 bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.SendMessage + 0x42 bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.ReflectMessageInternal + 0x2a bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand + 0x5c bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc + 0x205 bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc + 0x36 bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage + 0xb bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc + 0xbc bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback + 0x30 bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc + 0xde bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.DefWndProc + 0xb bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp + 0x75 bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc + 0x468 bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WndProc + 0x121 bytes
  microsoft.datawarehouse.dll!Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.VsStyleToolBar.WndProc + 0x198 bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage + 0xb bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc + 0xbc bytes
  system.windows.forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback + 0x30 bytes

 I'm not sure what any of that means. Hopefully you will (If it means anything).

As far as the samle test project with a test report. I have about 60 reports. Out of those 54 run fine. No performance or freezing issues. I have found 6 that freeze up. I have printed the SQL text and compared tables, fields, number of unions, number of tables, the datasets, the data sources, and on and on. I can not find a single common thread between them. The thing about this is they all ran without error a couple of months ago. I have been "dealing" with the frustration since then. Lucky for me I haven't had to do many changes, or addjustments to the SQl statement, untill know.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong with the safemode and the debugger. I feel I have looked at everything and then someone such as yourself offers HOPE in the way of a suggestion. Thank you.

CardGunner
0
Card

Thanks for your response.

We can run these command lines from Visual Studio .Net Command Prompt (Start->Programs->Visual Studio .Net 2003->Visual Studio .Net Tools->Visual Studio .NET 2003 Command Prompt).

The /safemode is used to launch Visual Studio in safe mode, loading only the default environment and services.

Thanks.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
12/5/2008 3:07:03 AM

I can't follow your senetence. I go to start-> I go to programs-> I go to VS 2003 - it then starts the VS 2003 program -> I go to tools - for me in tools there is debug process, Connect to database, add/remove toolbox item, add-in manager, macros, external tools, customize, options- there is nothing in any of those that resembles a command prompt. if I went to View instead of Tools -> Other Windows-> Command Window-> i type in /safemode I get command was not specified.

 I did find in a forum -"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /safemode - I ran that from ->Start->Run

It open VS 2003. I tried to open a project and I got an error:

Package 'ReportDesignerPackage' has failed to load properly ( GUID = {11B8C903-8FFD-4DFC-87CE-F6A82D77AF6B} ). Please contact package vendor for assistance. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future? You may use devenv / resetskippkgs to re-enable package loading. Apllication restart is recommended, due to possible enviroment corruption.

I selected NO, and when I did I get another error :

The applicication for project 'C:\ Documents and Setting\ user\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Accounting\Acoounting.rptproj' is not installed.

Make sure the application for the project type (.rptproj) is installed

With the system like this I could not find any of the reports. It was like they where not there. I would select a project and in the soltion explorer window there was 0 Projects for the Accounting Solution

I then ran from the run command "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /resetskippkgs to get my projects to load.

I banged my head, keyboard, mouse and chair yeasterday and that didn't work either. ;-(

I tried to figure out how this debugger works but found MSDN tutorials to be as frustrating as the problem itself.

Can you or anyone reading this suggest an online tutorial that explains how to use the debugger for VS 2003 in novice terms.

CardGunner
0
Card
12/5/2008 1:25:38 PM

I uninstalled SQL 2000 Reporting Services and then reinstalled it. Ran a report. One of the 6,  I was having issues with. It ran like they did months ago fast, quick, and no problems.

I installed SP1 and ran the same report. It froze up my system. If I changed anything in the data tab and hit the layout tab or the preview tab it runs and runs for about an hour and spikes my computer CPU's to the point I cannot run any other program. I have to end the process or wait till it gets done. Again if I don't change anything in the data tab or don't alter it in anyway I can go to preview or layout with out any issues. It's a little slower then it should be. The problem is when I change, add, or alter the SQL in the data tab.

I then installed SP2 and it didn't do anygood or anyhurt, as far as I can tell. Same report taking an hour to run while robbing my computer of resources.

I do need at least SP1. It gives me the abilty to link to images from the web and have them show up in my reports.

What now?

CardGunner
0
Card

It seems that Package 'ReportDesignerPackage' is corruption.

Did we install any pre-RTM version of Visual Studio .Net? If so, we can try to remove it clearly (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstsstart/thread/3366c32f-2ba2-491f-bd16-0cf928c6d0fd/).

We also need to make sure services for report are running. For more information, see http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=91900

Thanks.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
12/8/2008 2:22:36 AM

Thomas,

I went to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstsstart/thread/3366c32f-2ba2-491f-bd16-0cf928c6d0fd/ . I don't have any previous version of VS or Report Services. We had SQL 2000 and VS NET 2003 from the start. We have not upgraded yet. I did run the program, the VS removal tool, however it stated there was nothing to install. Probably because the tool was looking for VS 2005.

I went to  http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=91900. I went to start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and both, Cryptographic Services and Protected Storage services, are running.

I'm having a hard time following alot of the suggestions because I'm not schooled in this stuff. I came from sales and given the job of creating detailed report for sales using this method.

What about the my post before this where the problem / issue / bug is brought on by the Service Packs, or a least SP1 of reporting services?

CardGunner
0
Card

Reporting and Report Data
I have a few questions about reports.   First, can anyone tell me where the customer datat is stored. I assume it is on the momsql01  server but in which database is the live data stored? I have checked a few and cant seem to locate any accurate data about customers on the system.   Also, i am running  a unmolested 3.5 HMC install with a few customers on it. IM pulling up the reporting pages and under cumulative reports and im not seeing accurate numbers. (to be more accurate HOME>Hosted Messaging and Colab Services Reports>Cumulative Reports) If i click on a ...

Crystal Reports or Data Reports?
 Hi everybody, I'm in a big dilemma! Crystal reports or Data reports?As I see a lot of things are not editable in Crystal Reports cause I'm using the Visual Studio version. Will I have more style solutions by using the data reports?  I just want to produce some graphs from a Database and add them to my website.Your opinion will be much appreciated!  Hi you are in CR forum and asking about which is good.. sure we all will say CR only. But in ur case u wanna design charts. its not advisable to u to design charts using CR Lite(shipped with VStudio). You cannot f...

Programmatically changing shared data sources when running SQL Reporting Service 2005 Reports
Can someone please help me or point me to the right sources on how I can possibly programmatically change the shared data source that was assigned to an RDL when a user runs it from my asp page? I have to create several reports and would like to have the option to let users choose the sql server to connect to and possibly different login credentials. What should I do? Please help. Hope these articles can help you - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252085(VS.80).aspx http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/ASP.NET/Binding-Data-to-the-ReportViewer-Control-Dynamically-in-ASPNET-20/When ...

Report "Load report failed" while report using data field
hi all, I'm develop asp.net and crystal report from visual studio 2003 environment. all the completed program & report will place in 1 folder running by IIS5, currently the problem is: if the report is without using database fields is runnable and display well in my page; but if the report need to uses of database's field (no matter from xml or dataset), the page always throw error message "Load report failed", the stack trace always stop in the code "rpt.SetDataSource(ds)" or " rpt.Database.Tables(0).SetDataSource(ds.Tables("tbl1")" or "rpt.ExportToStream (CrystalDecisions.Shared.E...

How do I change in runtime the data source of a report created using microsoft reporting technology in Visual Studio 2005?
How do I change in runtime the data source of a report created using microsoft reporting technology in Visual Studio 2005? Hi, From your description, it seems that you want to switch the datasource programmatically during the run-time, right? If so, I think you should use the LinkedServer in sql statements which is a widely used method for parametric data source needs in reporting services applications. For more information, see: http://www.simple-talk.com/community/forums/post/2735.aspx  Thanks.This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is...

about report reports generation and emailing reports
hi i am a bit new to Bugzilla, i am using 2.18rc3version. and i am facing two problems with report generation. 1) the checksetup.pl shows all the perl modules includig optional perl modules to be installed and available including thse required for graphical report generation. but despite this i am able to get tabular reports generated but when i click for line/bar reports of the same tabular report the next page does not show the required pie/bar reports. 2) is there any facility for sending these generated reports to the client via email through Bugzilla? kindly help. regards...

First Time Report Viewer Question
I will post the code from my aspx page. I have two dropdownlists. When customer name changes it displays the list of Mixing Records for that customer. When I pick a new Mixing Record for that customer, the ReportViewer doesn't change. I thought I would go into ddlMixingRecord_SelectedIndexChanged and be able to say something like ReportViewer1.Bind().....but I don't see any reference to ReportViewer1. Can some give me a quick idea on how to change (refresh) the ReportViewer to match the dropdownlists. <body> <form id="form1" runat="server"> <div ...

Report data not showing on generated report
I'm working with a ReportViewer control, and my report is being generated with correct column names from the .rdlc. However, #Error shows in the columns on the report, rather than the actual data. My dataset is strongly-typed, and contains a DataTable with 73 columns (excessive, but required in this case) .  The query runs OK, and produces the correct data, in Embarcadero Rapid SQL. Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!  In debug mode, the DataSet Visualizer reflects the data resulting from the query, so it must be a minor problem with my ReportViewer Control.&nbs...

Changing SQL For A Report Within A Report
Hello, I have a report which has 2 report objects contained within it. I need to be able to change the name of the tables within each report object. The Column lists will stay the same it is just the table names. Any suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ira :( Hello Again, Please disregard this. I have figured it out Thanks "Ira" <ira@mistraldata.com> wrote in message news:CyVFA0sQCHA.298@forums.sybase.com... > Hello, > > > I have a report which has 2 report objects contained within it. I need to be > able...

Change to "Report" for Reports
I am trying to change the first page of a report "REPORT" to something else e.g. Entity Attribute Description Report. How do you do this ? I have read the manual but cannot figure it out. Walt In the Report Editor, select the Report menu and then select the "Title Page" menu item. You can now change the title. This is documented in the Report User's Guide on page 91 in the 7.5 guide and page 90 in the 7.0 guide. HTH, Anthony Hill PowerDesigner Product Support On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:37:48 -0400, walt@lehman.com wrote: >I am trying to chan...

Does anyone know if we can save the Graphical report or tabular report after I set some value and generate the data for the report?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C5D448.521BE5D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, =20 Does anyone know if we can save the Graphical report or tabular report after I set some value and generate the data for the report?=20 =20 =20 Thanks, Kevin ------_=_NextPart_001_01C5D448.521BE5D0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =...

Report Control (report viewer and report designer)
Hi there! ive looked over the forums and other websites that you referred but i dont have any luck for reports. i created a page that has simple data-entry, aside from that, i do want to have a printable report on what are the items i have added this day. i am using a report designer (rdlc) and a report viewer, which is in a aspx page. ive explored how it works for a simple select statement but i want to know how it will work for parameter passing. a referral for a tutorial website for the report viewer and report designer is very much appreciated. or if you want to share your...

Web resources about - Report freezes up when report data is changed - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003

CS:GO Screen Freezes Steam cmon - YouTube
Thats whats happening with my cs:go client at the moment . Brand new PC have not finde any problem in the first 2 weeks and this happened after ...

Animal of the Day: Bird Freezes Up When Owner Looks at Him
Big Bird’s not the only one that can play games. This little pet bird is just chilling out on his owner’s shoulder pecking away, but he freezes ...

Parliament freezes in a moment that stopped time
Should Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe have strolled from his hotel in Canberra's frigid morning, rehearsing what would be the first speech ...

Polar vortex freezes Niagara Falls (01:08)
RAW VISION: Arctic blast freezes parts of iconic Niagara Falls on the US-Canadian border.

Singapore Airlines freezes hiring of cadet pilots
Singapore Airlines freezes hiring of cadet pilots

Rudd Bank freezes on starting block
THE Federal Government's rescue package for commercial property was dealt a potentially fatal blow in the Senate yesterday during a strident ...

New York City banker Kate Matrosova freezes to death while hiking
Her husband dropped her off at the base of the mountains early in the morning. With a blizzard approaching, there was no room for error.

Polar vortex freezes Niagara Falls (01:08)
RAW VISION: Arctic blast freezes parts of iconic Niagara Falls on the US-Canadian border.

Egypt freezes assets of top Islamists after ousting of president Mohamed Morsi
EGYPT'S public prosecutor has ordered the freezing of assets belonging to 14 top Islamists, as the US dispatched its first senior official to ...