opening a solution file in VS.NET 2003 ( in Windows Server 2003)

Hi,

I could not open a visual studio 2002 solution file (ASP.NET application) in Visual Studio 2003. VS.NET simple hangs up with message "Contacting web server" in Windows Server 2003. If i tweak something on IIS Default web site folder, i get different message like "web access failed", "could not map <localfolder> to http://localhost".
I have gone through various forums and applied almost all suggested solutions like
0. tweaking ".sln" file
1. deleting VSWEBCache files
2. renaming the web.config file
3. added temp MIME metadata
4. changed IIS 6.0 native mode to IIS 5.0 Isolation mode
5. provided enough permission to "IIS_WPG" group, IUSR_<machinename>, VSDevelopers group etc for the folder where application files are existing
6. Restarted IIS couple of times
7. Reinstalled IIS
Still there is no success at sight. Please let me know the reason behind it and any solution for this problem.
I have heard that installation of Share point portal services somewhat messes up with IIS 6.0 in Windows Server 2003. Is it true? If that is the case, please let me know how to uninstall share point portal services.

TIA
Ganesan Krishnamurthy
0
KGanesh

When Sharepoint is installed, any virtual server extended with sharepoint (WSS) is completely under sharepoint control. It installs an ISAPI filter at the root of the virtual server and handles all requests to that virtual server. In this configuration, if you or your application depend on virtual directories that live underneath the WSS-extended virtual server, it won't work , because WSS will attempt to handle that request, and if that request is for something that doesn’t live in our virtual directories of the WSS database, then a  404 is returned .

There is a feature in WSS called “Managed Paths” for just this scenario. In the Central Administration pages, you can create an excluded managed path. Before servicing a request, the WSS isapi filter compares the requested URL with the WSS list of excluded managed paths. If that URL is in our list of excluded managed paths, it does not attempt to do anything with the request, and it is passed back to IIS to determine who should get it.
So, if your ASP.NET application uses a virtual directory called MyASPNetApp, create an excluded managed path in WSS called “MyASPNetApp”. After doing this, all request that come in targeted for http://server:80/MyASPNetApp/... will be ignored by WSS and will be properly routed to your apps virtual directory.
The other option is to unistall sharepoint. This can be done via Control Panel's Add Remove Programs. Select "Add/Remove Windows Components". When windows setup comes up Select "Appliction Server" - note this may vary on the versoin of Windows 2003 installe - Click the details button. Select "Internet Information Service" and click details again. There should be an option to uncheck Sharepoint. I think you can also do this using the sharepoint administration web pages.

Bill Hiebert

Visual Studio Web Tools
0
billhie

VS .Net 2003 remote web project, windows xp & windows server 2003 setup
Hi everyone, I have a windows server 2003 setup as a server with IIS 6 & VS 2003 .Net I created an account programmatically for a user with frontpage extensions 2002. The accont works fine when using VS Studion .Net 2003 on the server machine however when I try to create a web project using a windows xp client machine with VS .Net 2003 it fails with a combination of "this user is not a member of the author group" (the user is setup as an administrator on the server and also has administrator front page author privilege) & the user has correct inheritable privileges on th...

HELP
I am having troubles understanding what I need to do to integrate Visual Basic .NET 2003 with IIS 6.0, where VS.NET is installed on my Windows 2000 machine, but the IIS is running on a separate Windows 2003 Server.We purchase Visual Basic .NET Standard.   I assume that is all that is required for creating ASP.NET pages, Web services and Web applications?We ran the setup on the Windows 2000 machine.   The prerequisites were installed, followed by VB.NET.   We installed the .NET Framework 1.1 SDK and then the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1.On the Windows 2...

VS .NET 2003 crush with APPLET tag (Windows 2003 server)?!?
I have Visual Studio .NET 2003 (v. 7.1.xxxx) running on Windows 2003 server. When i try to insert APPLET tag in HTML mode into an ASP.NET page my Visual Studio crushs on attempt to switch to Design mode. There is same problem with all ASP.NET pages with <APPLET></APPLET> There isn't problem do similarly thing on Windows XP. Any ideas? Thx ...

IIS server works with vs.net but not vs.net 2003 ?
Trying to program in asp.net 1.1 via visual studio and running IIS 5.1. After getting asp.net to work, i am getting the dreaded '...Internal Server Error 500..." if I try to start a new Solution in VS.Net 2003. However, VS.Net will allow me to start a web application with no problems. Truth is stranger than fiction, but nothing is stranger than visual studio.... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

Convert a VS.NET 2003 solution to VS.NET 2002?
Hi, I am working on my personal site now, but I only have an evaultion version of VS.NET 2003, so I want to convert it to an VS.NET 2002 solution. Is it possible to do that?Mikael Söderström Found it :) http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20030425.aspMikael Söderström...

How to open a VS.NET 2003 project in VS.NET 2002
My colleague created a ASP.NET project by VS.NET 2003. I can not open it by the VS.NET 2002 in my machine. Can I call my colleague to modify some settings on this project and so I can open it by 2002? How to do that? thx...

Opening project created in VS.NET 2003 in VS.NET 2002?
hi everyone, Can this be done? i'm havin problems opening my applications. the solution file i created is not recognise by VS.NET 2002.. can anyone provide me with a solution? thanks very much.. It is not designed to do this, so don't think you are doing anything wrong. There is a tool designed to do this, it can be foundHERE You must register, but it is a free download. Hope this helps.Chris Paterra thanks very much.....

Copying VS.NET web project to Win 2003 and opening it in VS.NET
Hi all, Environment: ASP.NET 1.1; VS.NET Enterprise 2003; Windows Server 2003; IIS 6.0 I hope somebody can help me figure this out. I created a Web project on my XP Dev machine which I can open, run, debug and do everything else. I can "deploy" the project to my 2003 server and open the site in explorer browser. But now, I want to transfer the whole solution to my Win 2003 and continue the development and testing on it. So, I transferred the whole VS solution directory from my XP machine to the Win 2003 machine. I created a Web site (not a virtual directory under default...

windows 2003 and VS.Net 2003 problem ?
i have installed windows 2003 and after that i installed VS.Net 2003 but when i am developing windows application with VS.Net then it is running but when i am going to work with asp.net then i am getting error message.even when i type localhost in the address bar of IE then no pages come but IIS is running.IIS is chaged in win 2003, which i could not fix.please help me to run asp.net app on windows 2003 platform. Is IIS is installed in WIN2003 box? and if so do you enabled 1.1 extensitions in webservice extensitions of IIS? If not that could be the problem!Sreedharhttp://www...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Can I go from VS .NET 2003 to Visual Basic .NET 2003?
Hi, I just developed a commercial application using the trial version of Visual Studio .NET 2003.  My trial is about to expire.  I was hoping .NET 2.0 would be released by now, but that is obviously months away so I'm wondering if I could save a few hundred bucks by buying Visual Basic .NET 2003(around $110 i think) instead of having to buy Visual Studio .NET 2003, which I believe is up around $600 or so.   All my code is Visual Basic, so that's why I'm thinking that's all I need.  And it's mostly web development that I do if that matters.  T...

Can I buy VB .NET 2003 instead of VS .NET 2003?
Hi if I code my web applications using just Visual Basic can I buy Visual Basic .NET 2003 instead of having to buy the whole Visual Studio .NET 2003?  Will that work the same?  Thanks Hi,     When I got VB.NET 2003, it included VS.NET 2003 (Standard Edition).  I don't think there is a version of VB.NET 2003 that doesn't include VS.NET as the IDE.  While there are some projects templates that are not include in the standard edition, you still have the ASP.NET web application, web service, win forms, etc..., projects available.  If you are asking...

ADO dataset with VS.NET 2003 and Windows 2003
Hi all, Just wanted to share my solution with some of you to the login failed problem and others... I've been banging my head on the wall trying to figure out this piece of (use your imagination). Anyways, I was able to get the CR.NET report to run on my XP workstation using the instructions provided at: http://support.crystaldecisions.com/communityCS/FilesAndUpdates/vbnet_win_classicado.exe.asp?ref=devzone_netzone_howto However, when I migrated the project to my windows 2003 server with multiple websites running on it, I was unable to get it working. I tried adding various msm f...

Web resources about - opening a solution file in VS.NET 2003 ( in Windows Server 2003) - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003

Solution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In chemistry , a solution is a homogeneous mixture composed of only one phase . In such a mixture, a solute is a substance dissolved in another ...

Solution to overheating lithium-ion batteries close: study
The problem of lithium-ion batteries overheating &ndash; the likely cause of the hoverboard fire that destroyed a family's home last week &ndash; ...

Kuwait Oil Company opts for Cisco Security Solutions for high-security network
Al-Bawaba Kuwait Oil Company opts for Cisco Security Solutions for high-security network Al-Bawaba Cisco today announced that Kuwait Oil Co. ...

Conexant Announces New Audio Processing Solutions At CES
At CES, Conexant gave me a demo of some of the audio processing technology that they've been working on. Conexant is a company that probably ...

Why is Compromise Always the Best Solution?
... what I want, or at least compromise so I get a little of what I want while you get nothing." For years, I've been taught that 'win-win' solutions ...

CounterPath Achieves Cisco Compatibility Certification With the Cisco Solution ...
CounterPath Achieves Cisco Compatibility Certification With the Cisco Solution ... Benzinga VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA(Marketwired - Jan. ...

WestRock and T+ink Introduce Internet of Things Inventory Optimization Display Solution Working with ...
WestRock and T+ink today launched the first-ever merchandising display solution to incorporate printed electronic sensors in smart shelves and ...

CounterPath Achieves Cisco Compatibility Certification With the Cisco Solution ...
CounterPath Achieves Cisco Compatibility Certification With the Cisco Solution ... CNNMoney CounterPath (NASDAQ:CPAH) (TSX:CCV) announced that ...

Ben Carson Cites Home Schooling As Education Solution For America
The Jack Kemp Foundation to develop, engage and recognize exceptional leaders who champion the American Idea is actually just a cavalcade of ...

7 Ways The Grand Solution We’re All Looking For Could Actually Be In Nuclear Power
7 Ways The Grand Solution We’re All Looking For Could Actually Be In Nuclear Power