I cannot drag web custom controls from toolbox to web form

I have created some web custom controls (both composite controls or derived/inherited controls).  I successfully added them to the toolbox.

However, when I try to drag them onto the form, the cursor changes into a black circle with a diagonal line, and cannot drag them.  I also tried double-clicking them from the toolbox but it still won't work.

I sent the Control Library (DLL) to a friend, and he managed to use it properly.  I am assuming this is a problem with my Visual Studio.

Has anyone encountered such a problem?  Any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks.

0
n8in

Is it a Web form or Windows form? Which class did you derive the custom control from?

Mikhail
5/5/2006 3:42:58 AM

Try close and reopen the Visual Studio.

Libor

0
robil
5/5/2006 4:59:02 AM

It's a web form, and I derived from the Control class, and implemented the INamingContainer interface.

I wanted to point out also, that if I created a derived/inherited control, it still doesn't work.

e.g. CustomTextBox control that inherits from System.Web.....TextBox Control

Any third-party controls, or any controls I create can be added to the toolbox, but then I CANNOT drag them onto the form.

0
n8in
5/5/2006 6:03:17 AM

Libor: I tried restarting VS.NET, and it didn't work.

I even restarted the PC, and it still didn't work! :(

0
n8in
5/5/2006 6:04:15 AM
I believe Web controls should be derited from WebControl.

Mikhail
5/9/2006 6:38:49 PM

The control works perfectly on another computer, but on my machine using the current Visual Studio .NET installation, it simply won't allow me to drag and drop any controls I create.

Only the included web controls work.

Any other ideas?

0
n8in
5/9/2006 8:49:44 PM
Well you can do this in your page code... Just add the reference to your control... and then add one the place you want.

<%@ Register tagPrefix="controls" tagName="WhataControl" src="..\Controls\MyControl.ascx" %>

0
rumbafum
5/9/2006 11:34:51 PM

I'm having exactly the same problem :( I might give up and just reinstall VS2003.

Any advice would be appreciated from anyone who's come across this.

mr_chris

Cant drag-and-drop Web Custom Control to Web Form!
Hi,I'm going insane here, I've read countless articles how to create a Web Custom Control and add it to the Toolbox and then just Drag-and-Drop it to a Web Form.And I have done exactly that except for the last step, any Web Custom Control I create refuses to be Drag-and-Dopped to the Web Form. What happens is the following, after I have added the Web Custom Control to the ToolBox I click it and drag it to the Web Form designer area. First I can see the icon of the Web Custom Control and I see a Referance being created but just after that the icon changes to one of those "you cant park here s...

Web Custom Control within a Web Custom Control
I was wondering if this can be done and how. I've created a simple custom control that displays a header which is my first custom control. So I'm just a baby when it comes to this.. Within the header I currently have a property for breadcrumbs which is a string. What I would like to do is have the breadcrumb property  be a Link Button List. I did find a custom control of a Link Button List which is exactly what I wanted. My question is how can/do  I include this into my custom control? Can it done? How? Please help? I'm at a lose here.   Susan You should be able to do ...

custom web user control and web form

Custom Web Control inside another Custom Web Control
Hi I created a custom web control (CusWebNew) that displays some textboxes by adding them to the ControlCollection of the webcontrol. I also created a custom webcontrol (CustWebButton) that inherts from Button control, and overrided the OnClick function. When I use CustWebButton on a regular web form, it seems to function correctly. However, when I added to be part of the ControlCollection of CustWebNew, it stops to work.   Any ideas why? Thanks Hey, What do you mean by stops to work?  Explain what you are trying to do with it and what it doesn't do.Brian"Trust in the...

Reusing custom web control in the same web control
Hello, I'm newbie in web development and of course asp.net. I am actually trying to build my first page and I'd like to know if it is possible to make a custom webcontrol that will contain itself. Let's say I want to draw a folder hierarchy in treeview-like structure. I thought I could make a control that will display a folder and if this folder contains subfolders then for each the control will include itself. Is this even possible? What would you suggest me to do to? Thanks in advance. TomTom Hagen http://thagen.dteam.info If the control can have child controls, then I s...

cannot drag web custom control onto form
I cannot drag web custom controls onto form designer. even the default template 'WebCustomControl1' i can't drag onto forms. These are built in a separate assembly than my web project code-behind. I have even added the 'TagPrefix' attribute to the assembly.The symptom: The cursor becomes the No symbol (circle with slash).However, i tried moving the web custom control classes to the web project assembly, rebuilding,and re-adding them to the toolbox-this works fine.thanks!nevermind- it's working now don't know whycheers :: thomas...

web web web

Server Web User Control or Web Custom Control
Ok, I made a DataGrid I like, stuck it in a Web Control Lib, and then to my toolbar. Now I want to take my nice little control and add it to a greater control, maybe place some buttons around it etc. I could always inherit from it in a new custom control and dynamically add the buttons, but I thought about using a Web User Control. I thought I could easily create a Web User Control, drop on my grid and the buttons on a form, and expose some properties and events, but once I got into it, I got a feeling that this isn't what a Web User Control is for. When designing a control li...

Use Web Custom control or Web User control?
Friends,  I have a generic aspx page and its functions which is used in many .NET web application. The generic page contains a HTML Div control, server drop down list, server buttons, server textbox and it have different server and client functions to do its tasks for calling aspx pages in web applications. My problem is I do not know whether I should make that generic page as a web user control (but this is tedious because all other application folders must store frontpage aspx and code behind files of the generic page) or as a web custom control (This seems to be good beca...

What is the difference between a Web User Control and a Web Custom Control
Hi ,please could you answer for the following question with example. i know wht they are. but i want to know hw they are existing in web pages with simple example. What is the difference between a Web User Control and a Web Custom Control?  Thanks in AdvanceDilip    Check this out .... hope these might help you out... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893667http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa651710(VS.71).aspx itsUrDAY  Hi, See the following URLs: https://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fb3w5b53(VS.71).aspx(Introduction to Web User Contr...

Web control in web control

Add .Net Control to Web Custom Control

Web resources about - I cannot drag web custom controls from toolbox to web form - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003

Control traffic as a cat sheriff in Street Fever: City Adventure
... as you play Marty the cat sheriff in this new part arcade, part puzzle game from Meow Studio. In Street Fever: City Adventure you will control ...

The little box that controls half your home’s energy use
(credit: Nest Labs) A thermostat can be such a simple device—so dumb a device if we’re feeling 21 st Century snobby—that a strip of metal coiled ...

How to perform Jedi mind control tricks using neuroscience
... looking for..." With those words, Obi Wan Kenobi inspired a generation of nerdy young men to try their hands at performing Jedi mind control ...

EU Acts on Refugees, Terrorism With Tougher Border Controls
Beset by the refugee crisis and fears of terrorism, the European Union floated plans to stiffen its external border controls for Europeans and ...

Sandy Hook parents assess victories, defeats in gun control mission
CBS News Sandy Hook parents assess victories, defeats in gun control mission CBS News NEWTOWN, Conn. Three years ago on Monday, a gunman opened ...

How to use iOS or Apple Watch as remote controls with Apple TV
... new feature for Apple TV owners using Apple Watch, iPad or iPhones last week – the capacity to use your iOS device as a remote control for your ...

Bart & Fleming: Don’t Come To Year-End Movies To Get Laid; Time For Movies About Gun Control Debate?
Peter Bart and Mike Fleming Jr. worked together for two decades at Daily Variety . In this weekly Sunday column, two old friends get together ...

Almond WiFi routers now control Nest gear in your home
Securifi's Almond routers just got much, much more useful if you use one of them as the center of your smart home. Both the base Almond and the ...

Google Updates BigQuery With New Cost Controls
Enterprises using BigQuery to run analytics against large data sets can now set a daily query quota on a project-wide or an individual basis. ...