How to create database and run it in Web Project Setup (VS.NET 2003)

I already create a Web Setup Project by VS.NET 2003. And I have some script files (*.sql) for creating database in SQL Server. How can I use it. I want the Web Setup Project creates for me a new database using script files (*.sql). It's like the Rainbow Portal Setup (sourceforge.net) or the instalation of ASP.NET forums.

Can everyone help me ?
0
mtalibaba

I'm confused.  Do you mean you want to create a database using scripts everytime you create a new project in Visual Studio?  If that's it, look at this article on altering Enterprise Templates.  Even if you don't use Enterprise Templates, it explains enough to help on other templates, IMO.  So you can create a new template for your web project, and possibly initiate your sql scripts (I haven't done that so not positive).  That's where I'd start to look.
Eric Landes

MADNUG President http://www.madnug.net
Crystal Alliance Editor
Blog http://aspadvice.com/blogs/elandes
Microsoft MVP
0
ericlandes
8/6/2004 4:04:09 PM
No, I mean that:

- First I've created and completed my Web Applition Project (My Project included database - SQL Server). I called my Web Application Project A
- After that I want to package project A. I created new Setup Project by choose: File / New Project / Setup and Deployment Project. I called this B
- I imported all files that relate to each other in project A except my database because I want to use project B to create database using SQL scripts (*.sql) and I don't know how to do that ?
0
mtalibaba
8/7/2004 2:40:05 AM
Do you have any solution to your research because i've the same problem ... i've to execute some script *.sql in the setup project and i've no idea.... if you resolve it. contact me
0
olog
10/7/2004 10:02:29 PM
If you're creating an msi file, why not create a cmd file that executes osql commands that run the scripts in the right order to the correct db and server?  We move our database between development, testing and production servers this way.  So your msi would at the end run a command (chgdb.cmd) file similar to this:

set SERVERNAME=%1
set DBNAME=%2
set DRIVEUNC=%3
osql -E -S%SERVERNAME% -d%DBNAME% -i%DRIVEUNC%create_table.sql
osql -E -S%SERVERNAME% -d%DBNAME% -i%DRIVEUNC%stored_proc1.sql

Your MSI may have to get the servername and dbname. We use DRIVEUNC to specify the directory the sql can be found in, which you may already know. If you are not familiar with what this is doing I can go into more detail, but all your db commands can be accomplished this way. This script assumes that the logged on user has dbo rights to the database this is writing to. HTH
Eric Landes

MADNUG President http://www.madnug.net
Crystal Alliance Editor
Blog http://aspadvice.com/blogs/elandes
Microsoft MVP
0
ericlandes

Opening project created in VS.NET 2003 in VS.NET 2002?
hi everyone, Can this be done? i'm havin problems opening my applications. the solution file i created is not recognise by VS.NET 2002.. can anyone provide me with a solution? thanks very much.. It is not designed to do this, so don't think you are doing anything wrong. There is a tool designed to do this, it can be foundHERE You must register, but it is a free download. Hope this helps.Chris Paterra thanks very much.....

Copying VS.NET web project to Win 2003 and opening it in VS.NET
Hi all, Environment: ASP.NET 1.1; VS.NET Enterprise 2003; Windows Server 2003; IIS 6.0 I hope somebody can help me figure this out. I created a Web project on my XP Dev machine which I can open, run, debug and do everything else. I can "deploy" the project to my 2003 server and open the site in explorer browser. But now, I want to transfer the whole solution to my Win 2003 and continue the development and testing on it. So, I transferred the whole VS solution directory from my XP machine to the Win 2003 machine. I created a Web site (not a virtual directory under default...

How can I create a Setup Project in VS.NET That Creates a Database
How can I create a Setup Project in VS.NET which creates a database on a selected server during setup? Hi TImalle,   Here is the link for your requirement.   Walkthrough: Using a Custom Action to Create a Database at Installation http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/49b92ztk(VS.80).aspx    Sincerely,Benson YuMicrosoft Online Community Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread....

VS .Net 2003 remote web project, windows xp & windows server 2003 setup
Hi everyone, I have a windows server 2003 setup as a server with IIS 6 & VS 2003 .Net I created an account programmatically for a user with frontpage extensions 2002. The accont works fine when using VS Studion .Net 2003 on the server machine however when I try to create a web project using a windows xp client machine with VS .Net 2003 it fails with a combination of "this user is not a member of the author group" (the user is setup as an administrator on the server and also has administrator front page author privilege) & the user has correct inheritable privileges on th...

simple web application created in VB.net(VS.Net) will not run
I tried to run the ASP.net samples created by VB.net. But it doesn't run successfully. For example, I copied VB project folder at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\VB\Project. From the web browser I typed http://localhost/VB/Project/Project.aspx Only the text for some LabelControls showed up, not the content Text generated by project.aspx.vb. Does that mean that I didn't set the IIS and ASP.net correct? Can you post the source code for your application. This may make it easier to debug what is going on. Thanks. Glen Kowalski Software Design Engineer / Test Microsoft Corporation This posti...

Cannot create new web/win project in vs.net 2003
Recently I began having this problem using vs.net 2003.  When I create a new project (no matter it's vb/c# or win/web), no solution/project is created.  Solution explorer is empty.I also try opening an existing project, it opens.  But, I cannot add new form/item into the project.I've reinstalled vs.net and run aspnet_iis.exe.  No help.I run filemon when creating new project.  Somewhere along the filemon log, I found:Process: devenv.exe Request Query InformationPath: C:\program Files\Microsoft VIsual Studio .Net 2003\Common7\IDE\http:\127.0.0.1\WebApplication100\WebAp...

Converting project from VS:Net 2003 to Vs.Net 2005
Hi there,can anyone help with converting a project from Vs.NET 2003 to vs.net 2005. Its not the internal workings that are a problem but the organization...I understand that under mydocuments\visual Studio 2005\  there are 2 directories (amongst others)1 is projects1 is websitesin projects these store the sln file and all the code for a gui app for examplefor websites in projects is just the sln which points to the websites directory where all the code is for a website i.e. under \mydocs\visual studio 2005\websitesam i right?So in simple terms, what is the best way of importing my vs.ne...

Problem running web service created with vs. net 2003
I created a simple sales tax computation web service called Service1.asmx using vb .net 2003 and verified that it works fine on my laptop (i.e., on http://localhost/Webservice2/Service1.asmx). Then  I ftp'ed the folder Webservice2 with all its contents (.bin, *.asmx, etc.) from c\inetpub\wwwroot\webservice2 to my workplace server ...\Webservice2\*.*. (This is the same folder where I have my home page index.htm and that works fine as well.) Then I tried to test by typing ...\Webservice2\Service1.asmx on my laptop's IE browser. I get the following error:  Server error...

How to open a VS.NET 2003 project in VS.NET 2002
My colleague created a ASP.NET project by VS.NET 2003. I can not open it by the VS.NET 2002 in my machine. Can I call my colleague to modify some settings on this project and so I can open it by 2002? How to do that? thx...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

Problem in opening / creating new web project in vs.net 2003
Hi all,I have been having this problem for 3 days. What's happening is, I will always get " Unable to open Web project '<project_name>'. The Web '<project_name>' located on server 'http://Localhost:' does not exist. " when I try to open existing web project.And when I create new web project, I will always get "Unable to create Web project 'WebApplication2'. The file path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\InetPub\wwwroot\WebApplication2' does not correspond to the URL 'http://localhost/WebApplication2'. The tw...

convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003
hi how can i convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003 and how i know that the application is made in vs.net 2002 and not in vs.net 2003 and thank for your time VS.NEt 2003 detects 2002 project format automatically when you try to open 2002 project with it. It also asks you if the project needs to be converted into 2003 format (if I remember right conversion must be done to use the project in 2003). If you say yes, it does the conversion and you don't have to do anything. Note that VS.NEt 2002 can't open 2003 projects.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU thank you for your...

VS .NET 2003 can't create new web project
This post was moved from the Microsoft Technical Forums on MSDN: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=9402 hi,after install the .NET framework 1.1 and Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Architect. I can't create any new web application (ASP.NET web application)it gives the following error message. It works for Windows ApplicationThe Web server reported the following error when attemping to create or open the Wb project located at the following URL: 'http://localhost/WebApplication1'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.What I am doing wrong? Please help!-FrontPage Extension install...

Web resources about - How to create database and run it in Web Project Setup (VS.NET 2003) - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003

GOP rivals condemn Donald Trump for backing Muslim database
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson said Saturday that he wants to expand the government's surveillance operations aimed at ...

Animal Venom Database Could Be Boon To Drug Development
A new public database that catalogs animal toxins could spur the development of new drugs made with compounds found in animal venom.

WATCH 'TROJAN HORSE' Trump wants database for Syrian refugees in US
WATCH 'TROJAN HORSE' Trump wants database for Syrian refugees in US

Donald Trump is Under Media Assault for Suggesting ‘Muslim Database,’ But Here’s What He Says About It ...
"Donald Trump's plan for a Muslim database draws comparison to Nazi Germany"...