I installed the IIS 5.0 after VS.Net 2003 (1.1). after that I did run the aspnet_regiis -i at the visual studio command prompt.

I am able to run local web application created on my PC.

But when I tried to copy an web application created at shared PC into the wwwroot folder, I get the following error while trying to open the project in VS.Net. I've created the virtual directory for the project and also set the integrated windows authentication under the directory security tab in the IIS.

Please help me resolving the problem.

Thank You.

-1
vishalsaheb

Do you have FrontPage Server Extensions installed in the IIS?

-1
Mikhail
7/26/2006 4:39:01 AM

Thanks for your reply.

How do I make sure I've frontpage extensions installed? I'd used the aspnet_regiis -i command at visual studio command prompt. Does it installs the froentpage extensions in IIS ?

I can run local web applicatoins created on the PC.

Thank You

1
vishalsaheb
7/27/2006 1:57:08 AM

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Components -> IIS -> Details -> check 'FrontPage Extensions'

On Win 2003 Server Windows Components -> Application Server -> IIS

Steps are differetn if you are running 64 bit OS since there is no 64 bit FPSE component. You'll have to tell IIS to run in 32bit mode and use 32bit FPSE.

Mikhail
7/27/2006 5:00:58 PM

Yes the FrontPage Extensions are installed.

If they were not installed, they would have showed me the same problem while running local web applications. right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My problem is sovled now. But I still do not know what was wrong. I tried running the aspnet_regiis command for few times and somehow it started working. I want to know what all can be the reasons for this error as I was very sure that I'd installed the required components.

Thanks very much for your interest.

1
vishalsaheb
8/2/2006 10:32:57 PM

I had the same problem.  I installed Visual Studio again selecting "Web Development" in the "Server Components" section.  This solved the issue.

-1
mossay

error message: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create the application <application>. The likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local Web server."
after enabling ssl using iis certificate services, creating and installing server and client certificates; i encountered this message when i try to reopen the project in vs 2003. how to work with ssl web apps in vs.net. please reply asap......

Unable to open existing Web application or create web application from Visual Studio.Net
I reinstalled MS office this morning. All of sudden, I can neither open existing web application nor create new Web application. The symptom is the same as described in thread: http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=417541 or http://www.dotnetcoders.com/web/Articles/ShowArticle.aspx?article=57 Tried every suggestion. Still can't do anything. When I tried to check server extention, I got following error message: can't open file "fontpg.lck" for writing Do anyone has any suggestion? Could anyone tell me what permission should I set? I added A...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

Visual studio cannot open application. Components are not installed on local webserver add web development component
 Hi I am trying to add so new functionality to an existing website developed in a visual studio 2003 and using the dot net framework 1.1 When I try to open the project in VS 2003 it gives me the follwoing error "Visual studio cannot open application. Components are not installed on local webserver  add web development component " Do i have to install the crystal reports on my machine even to setup this project?Muhammad Arsalan Ayub MVP ASP.NET Visual Developmnet User Group Leader DotNetOlympians MyBlog  Hi, I think it's nothing to do with Cryst...

Error: Visual Studio.Net cannot create or open the application.
I'm using VS .NET 2003, and I have a solution with one C# ASP.NET web project in it.More than 6 months this project in development stage on my computer, but last week I started to recieve the following error message:Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. The likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local Web server. Run Visual Studio .NET setup and add the Web Development component.I think it possibly becouse of some changes I put in Global.asax.cs moduleWhat must be done to repair the project?Thanks,AndreyAUTSORSING IT CONSULTING CA...

Error : Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application.....
Hi all,I have Downloaded a Sample CSharp Project fom the web But when i want to open it in the Visual Studio 2003,I recieve the following Error:---------------------------Microsoft Development Environment---------------------------Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. The likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local Web server. Run Visual Studio .NET setup and add the Web Development component.---------------------------OK   Help   ---------------------------Also I have Installed Full package of  VS-2003 .I have t...

Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

Web resources about - Error:Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. The likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local Web server. Run Visual Studio .NET setup and add the We - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003