Copying VS.NET web project to Win 2003 and opening it in VS.NET

Hi all,

Environment: ASP.NET 1.1; VS.NET Enterprise 2003; Windows Server 2003; IIS 6.0
I hope somebody can help me figure this out. I created a Web project on my XP Dev machine which I can open, run, debug and do everything else. I can "deploy" the project to my 2003 server and open the site in explorer browser. But now, I want to transfer the whole solution to my Win 2003 and continue the development and testing on it. So, I transferred the whole VS solution directory from my XP machine to the Win 2003 machine. I created a Web site (not a virtual directory under default website) on my IIS, designated the home directory as the physical dictory where my VS.NET solution and the web project is located. I also have VS.NET installed on the server machine. Can somebody please tell me how I can open my VS solution and the web project in VS.NET, edit and run it under debugger? I have tried everything I know but VS.NET refuses to open the web project asking me to choose a different file share.
I suspect that the problem could be that VS.NET tries to open a web project from http://localhost. But since my copied project is not on 'localhost' but under a "Website" that is not a "Default Website". I don't know how to fix this problem. Any advice anybody?
Babu.
0
babuman

The solution file will still have a reference to the old http://localhost web project so it will not find it in its new location. If your solution only contains the single web project, you should be able to open it using the Open Project from Web command and specifying the new URL of the web project. Alternatively, you can modify the solution file (in notepad) and change the URL to the web project to its new location. Make sure you back up your old solution file just in case.
Bill Hiebert

Visual Studio Web Tools
0
billhie
11/15/2004 11:18:14 PM
Thanks billhie.  I will try that.

Babu.
0
babuman

How to open a VS.NET 2003 project in VS.NET 2002
My colleague created a ASP.NET project by VS.NET 2003. I can not open it by the VS.NET 2002 in my machine. Can I call my colleague to modify some settings on this project and so I can open it by 2002? How to do that? thx...

Opening project created in VS.NET 2003 in VS.NET 2002?
hi everyone, Can this be done? i'm havin problems opening my applications. the solution file i created is not recognise by VS.NET 2002.. can anyone provide me with a solution? thanks very much.. It is not designed to do this, so don't think you are doing anything wrong. There is a tool designed to do this, it can be foundHERE You must register, but it is a free download. Hope this helps.Chris Paterra thanks very much.....

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Converting project from VS:Net 2003 to Vs.Net 2005
Hi there,can anyone help with converting a project from Vs.NET 2003 to vs.net 2005. Its not the internal workings that are a problem but the organization...I understand that under mydocuments\visual Studio 2005\  there are 2 directories (amongst others)1 is projects1 is websitesin projects these store the sln file and all the code for a gui app for examplefor websites in projects is just the sln which points to the websites directory where all the code is for a website i.e. under \mydocs\visual studio 2005\websitesam i right?So in simple terms, what is the best way of importing my vs.ne...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003
hi how can i convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003 and how i know that the application is made in vs.net 2002 and not in vs.net 2003 and thank for your time VS.NEt 2003 detects 2002 project format automatically when you try to open 2002 project with it. It also asks you if the project needs to be converted into 2003 format (if I remember right conversion must be done to use the project in 2003). If you say yes, it does the conversion and you don't have to do anything. Note that VS.NEt 2002 can't open 2003 projects.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU thank you for your...

VS.NET 2003 to VS.Net 2005
Hi   I just converetd my VS.Net 2003 project to VS.NET 2005 using the convert wizard in Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project. It compiled with no build errors and a few warnings. When Iam trying to view the project, then it gives me 404 error. Can someone help ? Thanks Could you confirm you are using WAP (Web Application Projects) versus the built-in WSP (Web Site model)? If you have a project file after converting, then you are using WAP. Could you post the actual 404 error you got? Also, did you set your start page in the converted project?  -Mike-...

Vs.Net 2002 and Vs.Net 2003
Hello: I've one question that keeps messing with my head, I want to know if you have: 1. VS.Net 2002 with Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in the same PC, which Framework it compiles apps for? 2. VS.Net 2003 with Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in the same PC, which Framework it compiles apps for? Is it possible to have an app compiled for framework 1.0 that uses DLLs or assemblies compiled for framework 1.1???? and still work ok?? thanks a lot....

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

I can't open .net web application from VS.NET 2003
I try to open one .net based web application from VS.Net 2003 in my Windows 2K server, get following error message "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1" and also tried to command line command aspnet_iisreg /i and aspnet_iisreg /r but didn't work. Could somebody give me some idea to solve this issue? Thanks a lot! Check if iis is installed and running if yes then uninstall .Net Frame work and install it again. I got same error few months ago and solved it by using above option. Arvind Malik First, I would see...

VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 on same machine
I've seen some postings indicating that you can have VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 side by side on the same machine.  I've also seen some comments that if doing this there is something that gets messed up, but I can't locate what it is and what the solution might be. Can someone shed some light on this for me regarding what might get messed up and where I can find the fixes to it? Thanks, Ira  Ira Richard Smith I have this set up. no prob at all.-DarrenNeese.com-DNN ROCKS!-DeveloperSchool.com Same here along with VS.Net 2002 & VS 6.0 I'm running 2003 and 2005 on wi...

Migrating from VS.NET 2003 to VS.NET 2008
 We are getting ready to start migrating all our applications from Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2008. Is anyone aware of any direct conversion issues? Also. a lot of our 1.1 apps use datatables as the datasource can we still do this in 2008? Yes you can.I have done some migration between 1.1 and 2.0 and there were some small issues but in general most of the things worked fine.For example Microsoft has changed the html validator in Visual Studio.also some events works a little different. If you share session cookie between some 1.1 and 2.0 (or) later apps you have to do so...

Upgrade IBS from VS.NET to VS.NET 2003
Anyone encountered any problems while performing this upgrade? Like "ASPNetPortal.PortalModuleControl could not be loaded." If so, what is the casue, how did you fix it ? Thanks I know it is of no help but ... It went painlessly for me Sorry DavidMVarious IBS Addons available at http://www.snowcovered.comLead Developer [vb & c#] - MCAD I not have any problem. check the project references or try a clean install hmmm - thanks for the replies. I'm trying to help out the user who posted this message I'm struggling to find a reason why he's having suc...

VS.NET 2000 Versus VS.NET 2003
Hi, I'm using VS.NET 2003 at home, but at my uni's using VS.NET 2000. So if i do work at home and bring to UNI and run on VS.NET 2000. Does any problem with that ? Thanks. Jeff. any projects you create in VS2003 won't open on VS2002 once you open a VS2002 project in VS2003 and covert it, it won't open again in VS2002 Nick www.vb-tech.comhttp://www.vb-tech.com Thanks nickswan....

Web resources about - Copying VS.NET web project to Win 2003 and opening it in VS.NET - asp.net.vs2002-vs2003

Copying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Copying is the duplication of information or an artifact based only on an instance of that information or artifact, and not using the process ...

Google Reportedly Copying Facebook’s Comment Plugin
The competition between Google and Facebook is about to spill over into plugins for websites: Reportedly launching soon, a comment system ties ...

Showing Apple employee #8 some of my artifacts. He remembers manually copying the Star Wars cassettes ...
jurvetson posted a photo: He has a rig that fed eight recoding tape drives from one master, and he would manually copy eight tapes at a time ...

Samsung Calls BS On Apple's Charges Of Copying - CONAN on TBS - YouTube
CONAN highlight: Samsung vigorously defends itself against Apple's absurd allegations! More CONAN @ http://teamcoco.com/video

CSAIL fixes software bugs automatically, in any language, by copying from safer applications
A new system can repair bugs in software using smart processing that imports functionality from other programs, all without access to source ...

Risk of other countries copying boat turn-backs low: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
The risk that other countries will copy Australia's hardline asylum seeker policies is low, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees ...

Hardware vendors sue Dutch government over copyright levies - regulation, legal, Dutch Home Copying Foundation ...
... on hard disks, smartphones, tablets and MP3 players that are meant to compensate the music and movie industries for losses caused by home copying. ...

Grace Jones slams Lady Gaga for copying her, describes her as soulless - The Courier-Mail Search Search ...
GRACE Jones has slammed Lady Gaga in a new interview, saying she didn’t “feel a soul” when she met the controversial pop star.

Iran claims to be copying US drone
CTV.ca Iran claims to be copying US drone Herald Sun AN IRANIAN military commander said the country is building a copy of a US spy drone captured ...

Hotel designer denies copying Aboriginal paintings
Guests at the Eclipse Hotel in Domaslaw, Poland, may be surprised to learn that its cutting-edge interior design is based on work by an Aboriginal ...