Web Deployment Project IIS Deploy error

I get the following  when I build locally

 if exist ".\TempBuildDir\" rd /s /q ".\TempBuildDir\"
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebSite -p C:\Projects\YourClubMatters\Trunk\YCM\WebSite -f -c .\TempBuildDir\
Running aspnet_merge.exe.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\aspnet_merge.exe .\TempBuildDir -o WebSite_deploy -a  -r -copyattrs
Successfully merged '.\TempBuildDir'.
if exist "C:\Projects\YourClubMatters\Trunk\YCM\WebSite_deploy\Release\" rd /s /q "C:\Projects\YourClubMatters\Trunk\YCM\WebSite_deploy\Release\"
if not exist "C:\Projects\YourClubMatters\Trunk\YCM\WebSite_deploy\Release\" md "C:\Projects\YourClubMatters\Trunk\YCM\WebSite_deploy\Release\"
if exist ".\TempBuildDir\" rd /s /q ".\TempBuildDir\"
Initializing IIS Web Server...
Successfully created virtual directory 'ycmbuild'.
Granting IIS read access to the folder 'C:\Projects\YourClubMatters\Trunk\YCM\WebSite_deploy\Release'.
C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\WebDeployment\v9.0\Microsoft.WebDeployment.targets(676,5): error : Some or all identity references could not be translated.
Warning: Unable to grant IIS access to folder 'C:\Projects\YourClubMatters\Trunk\YCM\WebSite_deploy\Release'.

Done building project "WebSite_deploy.wdproj".
========== Rebuild All: 7 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

 I get this error when building locally or on the team foundation server.

 Not exactly sure how to solve it, have the iis app pool and web site running as the tfs user so it doesn't have any problem viewing the website but the error is really irritating as its always telling me my build is broken.

0
selkies
3/13/2009 3:20:38 PM
asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects 789 articles. 0 followers. Follow

 still haven't solved this issue

0
selkies

The error is often a permission issue caused when the process identity cannot access the directory. The process identity is ASPNET for IIS 5.1 and is Network Service for IIS 6.0, 7.0.

To resolve this issue, we can grant IIS process identity access permission on that file. For more information, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525.aspx.

We also need to make sure ASP.NET has the required permissions. For required permissions, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kwzs111e.aspx

I look forward to receiving your test results.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
3/18/2009 2:52:36 AM

 IIS is saying that it can't access the folder

The server is configured to use pass-through authentication with a built-in account to access the specified physical path. However, IIS Manager cannot verify whether the built-in account has access. Make sure that the application pool identity has Read access to the physical path. If this server is joined to a domain, and the application pool identity is NetworkService or LocalSystem, verify that <domain>\<computer_name>$ has Read access to the physical path. Then test these settings again.

However I can run the application by going to browser and enter in http://localhost/application

This happens when application pool identity is set to NetworkService

When I set it to administrator it works fine

0
selkies
3/18/2009 1:15:24 PM

 just to clarify when I set it to administrator it works fine but web deployment project still gives the same error

0
selkies

Thanks for your response.

Since the error is thrown when we try to build it with Visual Studio, please make sure you log in system using Administrator role and run Visual Studio as Administrator(right-click Visual Studio, and then click Run as administrator).

I look forward to receiving your test results.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
3/19/2009 3:49:58 AM

When I run Visual Studio as the administrator it still produces the same result.

I normally run it using an admin account but I actually right clicked on the app and ran as admin like you said.

0
selkies
selkies

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

General design error in web deployment projects for web site projects?
  When you create a Web Site Project in VS2008 and add a Web Deployment Project you can choose to create a single output assembly and leave the aspx and ascx files updateable. In this scenario you can deploy your unfinished Web Site to a Webdesigner that modifies the layout. The problem now is, to get those files back in the source tree. As the web deployment project removes the CodeFile attribute of such files I need to readd it manually or write a program that does this step for me. Is my scenario so uncommon and why or am I missing a point? I don't want to give my ...

How to deploy web project in VS 2005 using web setup project
I have developed a new .NET Web application in C#. It is working find in localhost, i want to deploy the application to the production server. Please let me know what are the steps i need to follow to create an MSI file with VS.NET Installer in VS 2005. When i am trying to create a websetup project with a new solution option, it is not giving me the primary output file selection, i mean to say i am not at all getting the list of resources to select in the drop down list and also my project in the projects drop down list. Please some boyd help me and tell me is there any thing need to be done...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web Deployment Project error when deploying to UNC path
Hi all, When trying to deploy a web deployment project to a server using a UNC path like this \\servername\websiterootpath two errors occur: 1) Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation. 2) The "ToggleDebugCompilation" task failed unexpectedly.System.ArgumentNullException: Parameter "message" cannot be null.   at Microsoft.Build.Shared.ErrorUtilities.VerifyThrowArgumentNull(Object parameter, String parameterName)   at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.TaskLoggingHelper.LogMessage(MessageImportance importance, String message, Object[] messageArgs)   at Micros...

Deployment :: Publish Website vs Web Deployment Project
Hi All,   We have a Web Application that we have moved it form VWD to Visual Studio 2005 and are about to deploy. Our project type is currently a file based web project and we use web.config files in sub directories to control access.   We are wondering whether we should use the “Publish WebSite” option, or whether the new Web Deployment Project that has been introduced, is a better fit. (We have also looked into the Web Application Project option but that is not being considered at this point)   From our investigation, it seems that if we choose the “Publish Website” op...

Web Setup Project versus Web Deployment Project
Is there some good article on when to use which project?Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". Hello, You could check here - http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Actually you can easily configure the WebSetup project to pipe in the output from your WebSiteDeployment project into the MSI. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting ThanxJohan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================...

Web Deployment Project failing for Web Application Project
I have a solution containing 40+ projects including a Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project.  When I compile the solution excluding the WDP, it is successful.  When compiling including the WDP, it fails.  The failures are odd because they include compile time errors with the user controls code-behind complaining ala: Error 19 'Picis.Web.Applications.UserPreferences.UserPreference' does not contain a definition for 'GetCategoryName' c:\PWA\Development\Sources\PicisWeb\Picis.Web\Apps\UserProfile\UserPreferences\Engine\UserProfileEngine.ascx.cs 4...

Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects
....what's the difference? Web App Projects sounds like everythng I want, but what does it do that Web Deployment doesn't? First of all, here are two highly recommended blog posts that you may want to read about Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects.  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx In a nutshell, a web deployment project is associated with a web site project and is a step that you may want to take before your deploy your application.  You can do post processing on ...

Web resources about - Web Deployment Project IIS Deploy error - asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects

Quality function deployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... developed QFD in Japan in 1966, when the author combined his work in quality assurance and quality control points with function deployment used ...

Second Facebook Building In Luleå, Sweden, To Test New Rapid Deployment Data Center Concept
... at Facebook’s data center in Luleå, Sweden , will be the first of the social network’s data centers to be built using its new rapid deployment ...

Massive Growth in SMTP STARTTLS Deployment
When we posted in May about the state of STARTTLS deployment, we had no idea that we would see such significant changes to email encryption across ...

Deployment Manager (@redgateDeploy) on Twitter

Children welcome Georgia National Guardsmen home from deployment to Afghanistan - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
In this photo taken on March 9, 2010 photo, Blake Cochran, left, 7, Brooke Cochran, center, 6, and Bailee Cochran, 3, welcome home Georgia's ...

Rosetta: close orbits to lander deployment (annotated) - YouTube
Animation showing Rosetta’s orbit in the lead up to, during and after lander separation. The animation begins on 1 October 2014, when Rosetta ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

South China Sea: US agrees to spy plane deployment in Singapore
The United States has agreed with Singapore on a first deployment of the US P8 Poseidon spy plane in Singapore this month, in a fresh response ...

Iraq deployment decision in days: Bishop
The national security committee and federal cabinet will meet this week to decide on Australia's deployment to Iraq.

Full fibre NBN deployment costs artificially inflated: NBN Co critic
The cost of rolling out a fibre-to-the-premises NBN may not be as high as that posited by the Coalition government, according to University of ...