Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project

Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I can access pages that were not supposed to be included by the associated web application project.  Currently my Release configuration is set to build the AjaxControlToolkit, our own framework, and the web deployment project.  (It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I build the web application project).

The only solution I found that works was to create a temporary folder and then select the Web Application Project in solution explorer and Publish to the Temporary folder.  I then added the temporary folder as am existing web site project and created a deployment project for it, then removed the temporary folder project from the solution.  I then have to build the web deployment project that points at this temporary folder and then publishes to another folder.  This seems to work, but I would prefer a one step process as I don't trust everyone else to do this properly. I tried writing bat files to do this, but never figured it out.

It seems to me that web deployment projects should respect the file inclusion choices specified in the web application project they are associated with.  If anyone knows a way to do this, without manually specifying the exlusions in the web deployment project, I would really appreciate any suggestions.

0
AgentBond
8/9/2007 7:23:14 PM
asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects 789 articles. 0 followers. Follow

 I'm also having this same exact issue. The deployment projects seem to just cause a build of all files in the folder ("Web Site" style instead of "Web Application" style build). I'm guessing this is an oversight by someone as there doesn't appear to be an option to honor the project file. What's strange is that the project file is referenced in the deployment project file (and "Web Site" projects have no project file), but it doesn't appear to use it.

0
jusbuc2k
8/15/2007 6:08:48 AM

 Has this issue been resolved yet?

 I know that it's possible to exclude files/folders by adding <ExcludeFromBuild> tag(s) to the <ItemGroup> tag, but I still think that this should not be neccesary. The Web Deployment Project build process should be able to read information this from the project begin built, shouldn't it?

0
einar

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Deployment Project outputs too many files from Web Application Project
Hi everyone, I just downloaded and installed the final releases of the Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project. I created a simple Web Application Project, and then a Web Deployment Project for that web app. When I click Build on the Web Deployment Project context menu, the build succeeds, but in the target folder, I find more files than are necessary. Included are the vbproj, "My Project" folder, "obj" folder, and the files within those folders. This may be naive, but I was expecting the same results as right-clicking the Web App project and choosing Publish; just with the add...

Web deployment project tries to compile files EXCLUDED from web application project
I am confused about the compiling process. I have a solution with 3 projects:a. class library projectb. web application projectc. web deployment projectThings were fine with this until I added a new .aspx file to the web app (item b above). I decided it wasn't ready for inclusion yet so I marked it with "Exclude from project". Now these 3 files get a different icon and are in fact excluded from the web app project (i.e. after this Exclude, I can Build the web app project without any errors).  BUT - if I try to run the app or I try to Build Solution or if I try to Build the...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

Web Deployment Project failing for Web Application Project
I have a solution containing 40+ projects including a Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project.  When I compile the solution excluding the WDP, it is successful.  When compiling including the WDP, it fails.  The failures are odd because they include compile time errors with the user controls code-behind complaining ala: Error 19 'Picis.Web.Applications.UserPreferences.UserPreference' does not contain a definition for 'GetCategoryName' c:\PWA\Development\Sources\PicisWeb\Picis.Web\Apps\UserProfile\UserPreferences\Engine\UserProfileEngine.ascx.cs 4...

Web Application Projects & Web Deployment Projects
What is the difference between both? I can't find the answer! thanks Hi, A Web Application Project (WAP) is simply another project model aprt from the default Website Model in VS 2005. WAP is similar to VS 2003 web project model. http://webproject.scottgu.com Whereas a Web Deployment Project(WDP) is used to deploy a web project and provides flexiblity while deployment. See this link for details: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Hope this helps, VivekSocial Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community Please mark the most helpful repl...

Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects
....what's the difference? Web App Projects sounds like everythng I want, but what does it do that Web Deployment doesn't? First of all, here are two highly recommended blog posts that you may want to read about Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects.  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx In a nutshell, a web deployment project is associated with a web site project and is a step that you may want to take before your deploy your application.  You can do post processing on ...

How to use web deployment projects with multiple web application projects.
I followed the guide on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307467 "How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team Development" and I now have my main app at the root of the application and I have all of the sub applications as sub directories of the root application.  It all works great when I do a normal debug build or a normal publish.  The problem is that I have nested sitemaps, nested master pages, and of course, nested web.config files.  Basically the root app has a master page, sitemap, and web.config file and each child app ...

Web Deployment Project & Web Application Project
Hi.It seems as if you don't have a "traditional" web project (i.e. not a Web Application Project) in your solution, the "Add Web Deployment Project..." option is  not available for a Web Application Project. However, once you add a "non-Web-Application-Project-web-project", the option appears.Thought I'd share if anyone else runs into the same issue. (Or maybe it's just my environment) Daniel Brüntesonhttp://www.numlock.se Hi Daniel, Do you have the lastest version of Web Application Projects?  I have the February release installed (http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/i...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

Web resources about - Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project - asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects

Second visa application 'likely' to be approved
The family of a terminally ill Pakistani student can 'hopefully come to Australia sooner rather than later' says Immigration Minister Peter Dutton. ...

Apple patent application reveals exciting possibilities for twin-camera system rumored for iPhone 7
We heard a report in November that Apple was testing an iPhone 7 model with dual rear cameras , and a patent application published today not ...

Panasonic Develops a Stretchable Resin Film and Its Application Materials for Stretchable Electronics ...
A stretchable film is developed. This film stretches to 2.5 times the original length and then returns to the original form. A conductive paste ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 37% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance, Purchase Applications Both Up in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 7.3 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush

Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released
CNN Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released CNN (CNN) The visa application of one of the San Bernardino shooters was released ...