Web Deployment problem ... please, need help.

 Hello,

I am using VS 2008 and and just downloaded Web Deployment Projects:
http://connect.live.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=319288

I need the connection string in my web site Web.config file to be replaced.

So I created a new file named ConnectionStrings.config that contains only the following:

<connectionStrings>
  <add name = "MyConn" connectionString = "Provider = Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source = C:\MyDomain\\wwwroot\App_Data\DB.mdb; User Id=; Password=;" providerName = "System.Data.OleDb" />
</connectionStrings>

And in my Web Deployment Web.Config File Section Replacements I have:

connectionStrings=ConnectionStrings.config;

I get the following error:
web.config(1): error WDP00002: missing section connectionStrings

What am I doing wrong?

And just another question on the side:
Is it possible to have 2 files: ConnectionStrings.config and ConnectionStringsServer.config.

The first would have the connectionStrings section to be used in my computer.
The second would have the connectionStrings section to be used when deploying the web site to the server.

Thanks,
Miguel

0
shapper
1/5/2008 2:49:16 AM
asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects 789 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Miguel,

I am sorry you are running into the connection string error.  You are seeing a known bug with the CTP and web config replacement.  We will be fixing this in the final release and in the meantime, you can go to this discussion for a work around: http://forums.asp.net/t/1189079.aspx

-Alison

alisonlu
1/8/2008 7:29:08 AM

Hello,

Could you tell me when the final release will be available?

Thanks,

Miguel

0
shapper
1/8/2008 1:31:11 PM

Hi Miguel,

No official date has been announced, but we plan to release it soon.

-Alison

alisonlu

problems deploying my VS.NET web project
i'm a first time user of VS.NET Enterprise Edition (used to coding everything by hand in a text editor). i followed the deployment walkthrough that ships with VS.NET, and encountered difficulties when i attempted to set up my new solution on the server. my site is hosted by a company at a remote location. my Debug folder contains three files: fileName.msi, setup.exe and setup.ini. i copied all three to the root directory of my website, and executed setup.exe. problem: a dialog window popped up with a message: "The loaded did not find the file 'D:\Temp\dsp99.ini' " ...

help!!
Hi,     I have a website developed using c# vs 2005 (.net 2.0) and i added a web deployment project to it. I also have a customconf.config file which is a replica of the web.config but with some changes in the connection strings. I specified in the property pages of the web deployment projects as "connectionStrings=customconf.config;" and the problem is that when I build this, it copies the customconf.config file to the build folder, deletes it (i saw it getting copied into the folder and then disappearing automatically!!) and says the customconf.config could not be found. ...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Problems deploying Dynamic Data web application using "Web Deployment" project
Hi,  When I attempt to deploy a dynamic data web application using a "web deployment" project, only about half of the folders inside the "DynamicData" folder get copied properly. Here are the steps to reproduce. Prerequisites: Visual Studio 2008 .NET 3.5 SP1 Web Deployment projects add-on installed (I forget the exact name of this tool) In VS2008, go to File, New Project, Dynamic Data Web Application Right click on WebApplication1 and select "Add Web Deployment Project..." Accept the defaults and click OK. Right clik the web dep...

Duplicate ProfileCommon
My setup is as follows: I have a web project setup in VS.Net 05 that has custom profile, membership and role providers defined within the web.config file. This all works fine. I have another web project, that is essentially a library of .ascx user controls that also has the same profile, membership and role providers defined within it's web.config file - this all works fine also. By using a web deployment project, this second web project is compiled into a single dll that is referenced within the first web project. When I try to load a web page within the first website, I get an err...

Duplicate ProfileCommon
My setup is as follows: I have a web project setup in VS.Net 05 that has custom profile, membership and role providers defined within the web.config file. This all works fine. I have another web project, that is essentially a library of .ascx user controls that also has the same profile, membership and role providers defined within it's web.config file - this all works fine also. By using a web deployment project, this second web project is compiled into a single dll that is referenced within the first web project. When I try to load a web page within the first website, I get an e...

Need helps on deploying a web services or web app to an existing web server
Hi people, I am going to deploy a new web service and a new web application to an existing web server, which is also hosting several other web apps. I am told that the IIS CAN NOT BE STOPPED, which means I can not build a MSIs to install them. Looks like only two options I can use: 1) XCOPY 2) Publish the web service or web app through the VS 2008. Can anyone please give me some advices what is the best way to have a deployment without any interruptings and less problems. Thank you.    use FTP to copy files from your system to web hoster system. you ca...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

Web Deployment Newbie...can I still deploy the regular way if Web Deployment doesnt work how I need?
Hi guys. I have some projects I need to deploy to a remote server(outisde the company firewall)I am using the current 2.0 method of publishing the files to a local directory and FTP'ing to the remote server. I replace DLL files when needed. If I install Web Deployment will any of the existing methods of publishing a website be affected ?Can I use the PRE-web development method to publish once its installed ?   Thanks     I am assuming you are talking about Web Deployment Projects addin. Yes, publish will still work without any problem if you install Web Deployme...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

How to deploy web project in VS 2005 using web setup project
I have developed a new .NET Web application in C#. It is working find in localhost, i want to deploy the application to the production server. Please let me know what are the steps i need to follow to create an MSI file with VS.NET Installer in VS 2005. When i am trying to create a websetup project with a new solution option, it is not giving me the primary output file selection, i mean to say i am not at all getting the list of resources to select in the drop down list and also my project in the projects drop down list. Please some boyd help me and tell me is there any thing need to be done...

Deployment :: Publish Website vs Web Deployment Project
Hi All,   We have a Web Application that we have moved it form VWD to Visual Studio 2005 and are about to deploy. Our project type is currently a file based web project and we use web.config files in sub directories to control access.   We are wondering whether we should use the “Publish WebSite” option, or whether the new Web Deployment Project that has been introduced, is a better fit. (We have also looked into the Web Application Project option but that is not being considered at this point)   From our investigation, it seems that if we choose the “Publish Website” op...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web resources about - Web Deployment problem ... please, need help. - asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects

Deployment diagram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To describe a web site, for example, a deployment diagram would show what hardware components ("nodes") exist (e.g., a web server, an application ...

Second Facebook Building In Luleå, Sweden, To Test New Rapid Deployment Data Center Concept
... at Facebook’s data center in Luleå, Sweden , will be the first of the social network’s data centers to be built using its new rapid deployment ...

The Current State of SMTP STARTTLS Deployment
A lot of sensitive data is sent over email, so we encrypt emails in transit via STARTTLS when available. STARTTLS has been around for 15 years, ...

Deployment Manager (@redgateDeploy) on Twitter

Children welcome Georgia National Guardsmen home from deployment to Afghanistan - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
In this photo taken on March 9, 2010 photo, Blake Cochran, left, 7, Brooke Cochran, center, 6, and Bailee Cochran, 3, welcome home Georgia's ...

Motive Security Guardian (formerly Kindsight Security) now supporting virtualized deployments - YouTube ...
Patrick Tan, General Manager of Network Intelligence at Alcatel-Lucent, discusses enhancements to the Motive Security Guardian – a cloud based, ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop: Military deployments and peacekeeping to count as foreign aid
Australia will begin to count the costs of its military and police deployments in humanitarian disasters and UN peacekeeping operations as part ...

Iraq deployment decision in days: Bishop
The national security committee and federal cabinet will meet this week to decide on Australia's deployment to Iraq.

Full fibre NBN deployment costs artificially inflated: NBN Co critic
The cost of rolling out a fibre-to-the-premises NBN may not be as high as that posited by the Coalition government, according to University of ...