Web Deployment of a Web Application:why the vbproj file is in the Web Deployment folder

Hello, I'm an old ASP and new ASP 1.1 developer.
Now I have to work with ASP 2.0 and I'm testing the new features but there are things that are not clear..

I created a web application (converted from an ASP.NET 2.0 web site) and I was trying to build the web application project.
These are the Property Pages Settings:
Configuration:Release
Compilation: Allow this precompiled site to be updatable .. checked
Output Assemblies: Merge all outputs to a single assembly  is checked
                             Merge options : Version output assemblies is checked

The rest is all unchecked..
When I build the Web Deployment Project I see that within the Web Deployment folder/Release there are also the vbproj and vbproj.user files and the folders obj/Debug and obj/Release..
I don't understand why but the main problem is that when I create the Web Setup Project to install the Web Application on the Test environment I set the Project Output on the Precompiled web Outputs of the Web Deployment project and when I install the web application the vbproj and vbproj.user files and the folders obj/Debug and obj/Release are inside the inetpub/wwwroot/mywebapp as well.

I think that it shoudn't be like this...I forgot to check something??

Thankx for any help!

Marina B.

Marina B.
0
Marina
2/12/2007 1:13:08 PM
asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects 789 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project outputs too many files from Web Application Project
Hi everyone, I just downloaded and installed the final releases of the Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project. I created a simple Web Application Project, and then a Web Deployment Project for that web app. When I click Build on the Web Deployment Project context menu, the build succeeds, but in the target folder, I find more files than are necessary. Included are the vbproj, "My Project" folder, "obj" folder, and the files within those folders. This may be naive, but I was expecting the same results as right-clicking the Web App project and choosing Publish; just with the add...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web deployment project tries to compile files EXCLUDED from web application project
I am confused about the compiling process. I have a solution with 3 projects:a. class library projectb. web application projectc. web deployment projectThings were fine with this until I added a new .aspx file to the web app (item b above). I decided it wasn't ready for inclusion yet so I marked it with "Exclude from project". Now these 3 files get a different icon and are in fact excluded from the web app project (i.e. after this Exclude, I can Build the web app project without any errors).  BUT - if I try to run the app or I try to Build Solution or if I try to Build the...

Problems deploying Dynamic Data web application using "Web Deployment" project
Hi,  When I attempt to deploy a dynamic data web application using a "web deployment" project, only about half of the folders inside the "DynamicData" folder get copied properly. Here are the steps to reproduce. Prerequisites: Visual Studio 2008 .NET 3.5 SP1 Web Deployment projects add-on installed (I forget the exact name of this tool) In VS2008, go to File, New Project, Dynamic Data Web Application Right click on WebApplication1 and select "Add Web Deployment Project..." Accept the defaults and click OK. Right clik the web dep...

Web Deployment Project failing for Web Application Project
I have a solution containing 40+ projects including a Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project.  When I compile the solution excluding the WDP, it is successful.  When compiling including the WDP, it fails.  The failures are odd because they include compile time errors with the user controls code-behind complaining ala: Error 19 'Picis.Web.Applications.UserPreferences.UserPreference' does not contain a definition for 'GetCategoryName' c:\PWA\Development\Sources\PicisWeb\Picis.Web\Apps\UserProfile\UserPreferences\Engine\UserProfileEngine.ascx.cs 4...

Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects
....what's the difference? Web App Projects sounds like everythng I want, but what does it do that Web Deployment doesn't? First of all, here are two highly recommended blog posts that you may want to read about Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects.  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx In a nutshell, a web deployment project is associated with a web site project and is a step that you may want to take before your deploy your application.  You can do post processing on ...

Web Application Projects & Web Deployment Projects
What is the difference between both? I can't find the answer! thanks Hi, A Web Application Project (WAP) is simply another project model aprt from the default Website Model in VS 2005. WAP is similar to VS 2003 web project model. http://webproject.scottgu.com Whereas a Web Deployment Project(WDP) is used to deploy a web project and provides flexiblity while deployment. See this link for details: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Hope this helps, VivekSocial Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community Please mark the most helpful repl...

How do I add changes to a deployed web application without re-deploying a new web application
I recently built a setup project in VS.  I deployed the project to my production web server. Later, I made some changes to a few aspx.vb pages.My question is: How do I add those changes to the production web site  WITHOUT  building another setup project and re-deploying the entire web site. I tried to copy the new <webapplication.dll> to the production server. I got an error.I made no changes to the .aspx pages.I later created a completely new setup project, then it worked. I found the solution. What was your solution? Are you able to share it. ...

web web web

Web resources about - Web Deployment of a Web Application:why the vbproj file is in the Web Deployment folder - asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects