Web Application Project & Web Deployment Project, but not aspnet_merge.exe?

I have a solution that is made up of 1 Web Application Project, and several different Class Library projects.  When I build the solution, I build the class libraries first and the Web App Project builds last.  Everything works perfectly.

I have specific namespaces set up such as:

  • MyCompany.MyProject (Class Library)
  • MyCompany.MyProject.Common (Class Library)
  • MyCompany.MyProject.Persistance (Class Library)
  • MyComapny.MyProject.Web (Web Application Project, that references the other projects)

I have been deploying to a staging area via the Publish Web feature of VS 2005 (which then publishes to a file share).  But, I would also like to make Web.Config edits during deployment.  For that, I started using Web Deployment Projects.

The problem occurs in the "deployed" bin directory that is created by the deployment project.  There should be the following DLL's - one for each project:

  • MyCompany.MyProject
  • MyCompany.MyProject.Common.dll
  • MyCompany.MyProject.Persistance.dll
  • MyCompany.MyProject.Web.dll

But when I use my Web Deployment project, the Project Properties-->Output Assemblies page asks for an additional merged assembly name - and it then creates that additional output assembly.  I assume this is done by aspnet_merge via the <SingleAssemblyName></SingleAssemblyName> tag if you look in the build file.  I tried commenting this tag out, but it broke the deployment.  This may serve a purpose for Website Projects, but my Web Application Project only has one DLL being created by it - thus I don't need anything merged?

I would like to only have my 4 simple DLL's listed above.  So, I tried entering in MyCompany.MyProject.Web (which of course already exists) for the merged assembly name, thinking it might just overwrite my Web App DLL with one named the same, but that does not work.  If I enter say MyCompany.MyProject.Blah as my output assembly name, it works (not sure what it merged) but I am left with an additional DLL which appears useless (I found this out my removing it and the deployed website still performed as it should).

So, my question is how might I perform deployments and get the benefit of Web.Config modifications, but not be forced to have additional assemblies created?

Thanks in advance!

0
caseyrubano
9/26/2006 9:31:22 PM
asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects 789 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Web Application Projects & Web Deployment Projects
What is the difference between both? I can't find the answer! thanks Hi, A Web Application Project (WAP) is simply another project model aprt from the default Website Model in VS 2005. WAP is similar to VS 2003 web project model. http://webproject.scottgu.com Whereas a Web Deployment Project(WDP) is used to deploy a web project and provides flexiblity while deployment. See this link for details: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Hope this helps, VivekSocial Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community Please mark the most helpful repl...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project & Web Application Project
Hi.It seems as if you don't have a "traditional" web project (i.e. not a Web Application Project) in your solution, the "Add Web Deployment Project..." option is  not available for a Web Application Project. However, once you add a "non-Web-Application-Project-web-project", the option appears.Thought I'd share if anyone else runs into the same issue. (Or maybe it's just my environment) Daniel Brüntesonhttp://www.numlock.se Hi Daniel, Do you have the lastest version of Web Application Projects?  I have the February release installed (http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/i...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

Web Deployment Project failing for Web Application Project
I have a solution containing 40+ projects including a Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project.  When I compile the solution excluding the WDP, it is successful.  When compiling including the WDP, it fails.  The failures are odd because they include compile time errors with the user controls code-behind complaining ala: Error 19 'Picis.Web.Applications.UserPreferences.UserPreference' does not contain a definition for 'GetCategoryName' c:\PWA\Development\Sources\PicisWeb\Picis.Web\Apps\UserProfile\UserPreferences\Engine\UserProfileEngine.ascx.cs 4...

Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects
....what's the difference? Web App Projects sounds like everythng I want, but what does it do that Web Deployment doesn't? First of all, here are two highly recommended blog posts that you may want to read about Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects.  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx In a nutshell, a web deployment project is associated with a web site project and is a step that you may want to take before your deploy your application.  You can do post processing on ...

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

How to use web deployment projects with multiple web application projects.
I followed the guide on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307467 "How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team Development" and I now have my main app at the root of the application and I have all of the sub applications as sub directories of the root application.  It all works great when I do a normal debug build or a normal publish.  The problem is that I have nested sitemaps, nested master pages, and of course, nested web.config files.  Basically the root app has a master page, sitemap, and web.config file and each child app ...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

Web resources about - Web Application Project & Web Deployment Project, but not aspnet_merge.exe? - asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects

ASP.NET Merge Tool (Aspnet_merge.exe)
Specifies that the AssemblyKeyFileAttribute attribute should be applied to the compiled assembly. The attribute specifies the name of the file ...

Archive
Archive - Forever Breathes The Lonely Word