how to package VS Web Site App to be published as a Project web site on a production web server in a sub folder of the main website

Hi, I created a VS2k5 Website and used the web site using the small business starter kit as a model.  I published the website to a folder and runs fine.  I decided to copy the website to a folder within another website so when you click on a link it will open up the website start page.  That does not work.  My problem is that I need to publish the website as a project that includes all the tools I used so it can be uploaded to a subfolder into the website and the main webdb page will open.  Is their a way for me to deploy the website a a project? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

ptown
0
ptown
4/1/2009 8:13:01 PM
asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects 789 articles. 0 followers. Follow

web app vs web site vs web project
Could someone describe the differences between web sites, web apps and web projects? (or send me a link that contains this comparison?). Is one of these terms synonomous with another? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?  How does one choose when starting new development? Can one type be converted into another?     Thank you. Here is my definition: Website: perspective of users. Collection of web pages.Webapp and project: perspective of developer (and webmasters). Collection of web pages and resouces (database, code, etc.). Maybe software installers...

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

Migrating from VS 2005 Web Site Projects to VS 2005 Web Application Projects witn vb and c# code
I've tring to migrate Web Site to Web Aplication in VS 2005. In my Web Site I have pages written using VB and C#. During converting to WA i choose VB and only pages with VB code i can migrate. If I choose C# as language for WA only pages with C# I can migrate. Is a way to migrate Web Site with mix of VB and C# code? Wieslaw Hi, As far as I know, The ASP.NET Web application doesn't support that C# application project contains VB page or VB application project contains C# page. But it can compile the different language class file in project. In your case, you can tr...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the Web Deployment projects output (I don't think this can be edited once the Web Deployment project has been compiled, correct me if I'm wrong please!!!!!)  http://learnerps-dotnet.blogspot.com Hi, You can use a Web Deployment Project with a Web Setup Project. Create custom install actions in the Setup project and use the primary output of Web Deployment project. Since the custom actions will fire after the project has been physically deployed, there is no case of "modifying embedded" file as you will modify the file which is present in the user's installation directory. Hope this helps, VivekSocial Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". I see, so the installation functionality works on the already installed website files, but is this not dictated by the developer pointing the functi...

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

WebSite --> Web App vs WebSite --> Web Deployment Project
HelloJust had a total nightmare few days trying to get our large WebSite project documented properly. After discovering I need to convert it to a Web App just to get the XML output, i've been battling with a load of errors to get it building and working properly as a Web App. However, since NDoc does not support .Net 2.0 and the unofficial NDoc http://jonas.lagerblad.com/blog/?p=4 crashes before completing our documentation I am wondering if its worth continuing this precarious path... and also wondering if it would be easier to convert it to a Web Deployment Project? I dont wanna have to go...

Ajax error calling Web Service from Web Application Project vs Web Site
I am implementing the code from the Asp.Net Ajax Video Demo “How Do I: Make Client-Side Network Callbacks with ASP.NET AJAX?”  The Web page is generating a javascript error (‘SimpleService’ is undefined) and is unable to recognize the Web service.  The downloaded examples work, however I have created the Demo (both the page and the web service) in a Web Application Project, rather than a Web Site.  The demo uses a Web site.  Because of this the page does not recognize the Web service. To ask the question another way: What needs to be done differently in a Web Service...

Which is best web application projects or Web site projects in VS 2008
Hi, Using VS.NET 2008 We are developing a web based product (inventory, accounts,etc). This product has DA, BO layers. We are currently using web site project model. We are using webdelopyemnt project for deploying at client place.I want to know that, which model Web site model or web applicaton model is a best model for applications?I read most of the blogs and also articles for knowing difference between these two models.  But I am not coming under conclusion.Let me know your views and alos best answers Regards S. Muhilan   As you probably know, the difference between...

Converting web site project to web application in vs 2008
I am converting web site project into web applicatio project in vs 2008 and running into web reference related issue.  I am not so sure how to address this.  Our old web site application had app_webreferences folder with AllServices as sub folder and then all of the web services under that folder. for example:  AllServices\AService.wsdl  AllServices\BService.wsdl   AllServices\CService.wsdl   etc... our code references AllServices.BService in the code or AllServices.AService etc...  It seems like when I Right Clicked on web application project and clicked "Convert to Web Application" it did not do anything as to adding web reference. I guess I can add it manually but the problem I am having is how do I create subfolder called AllServices under web reference and put all web services (AService, Bservice, CService) in that one folder to minimize some of code changes.   It seems like in WebSite apllication the proxy class that was generated was just one because it was under AllService folder.  I essentially want to duplicate that in Web Applicaton project.  Anyhelp would be appreciated.   Thanks. Hi, You need to re-add these web services in your new Web Application. Before migrating any code into your new Web Application Project (using "Convert to Web Application"), you should first setup assembly references for it, such as add Service Reference. You also need to ma...

VS 2005 Web Application project >> Web Site project
Hello,I am trying to do the uncommon, change a VS 2005 Web Application project (originally a converted 2003 Web Application project) to a VS 2005 Web Site project. There are many tutorials on how to either take a 2003 Web Application project, or 2005 Web Site project and turn them into into a VS 2005 Web Application project. (Not what I'm looking for)Also, is it possible to convert a 2003 Web Application project to a 2005 Web Site project. (too late for my current projects.... but for future refernce) Many thanx     There may very well be a reason why the road o...

Web Site VS Web Application Project?
Hi,   I am heading up a project to help develop standards for development in asp.net 2.0 at my company (2 years late) and would like to hear some advice from the forum, from developers with experince on using VS2005, specifically about the topic of Web Site VS Web Application Project.   It seems that the Web Site is what is being pushed? Does Microsoft plan to eliminate the Web Application Project eventually? We have come to the decision that the Web Application Project is the right choice for upgrading existing projects but what is everyone using ...

VS. 2003 => VS 2005 Web Site => Web Application Project?
Hi We converted our VS 2003 solution which contained 2 web application and 5 Class Lib projects to the standard Web site 2005 model. Now. Is there a way to convert from this to the new Web Application model automatically? Thanks in regards Anders   Via Scott Guthrie:  If you want to migrate an existing VS 2005 Web Site Project to be a VS 2005 Web Application Project, please also review these other VB and C# migration tutorials that walkthrough the Web Site to Web Application conversion process step-by-step.  This article here also describes some of the diff...

UpdatePanel & Form View in Web Site Project vs. Web Application Project
I am seeing two different behavour patters when using the UpdatePanel in a Web Application Project (File > Add New Project > ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Application) vs a Web Site Project (File > New Website > ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site) The exact same code will complie in one project type but not in another. The code is: <asp:FormView ID="FormView1" runat="server">   <EditItemTemplate>     <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">       <ContentTemplate>        ...

web application project VS Web site
When I have to create a new website in VS I normally  go to the File Menu and then select new website.But when I create a web application project and when I click on the properties of that I see so many options like for Build: Platform target, Errors and Warnings.why i don't see these properties in normal web site. Also where is all this setting info about the web application project is stored? Is it even important to mention the platform target like X86, X64, ItaniumThanks.   hi, just mention the source where u want to store, when u r creating a project and that project...

Deploy VS 2003 Web Site with web services Web Refrences
I have developed a web site that communicate with web services in another server, but when i was running it locally on my development machine it was working fine, but now when i have deployed on the server, i have changed the URL on the web refrences folder to point to the web services server. But it keeps giving me Page Not Found 404 error. As it couldnt find the web services, even though when i put the same URL in browser it gets the services okay?  When deploy web services, is there any other task that i should do rather than chaging the URL of web refrences in the .disco, .wsd...

Can "Add Web Reference" if web service deployed to new web site, Can't add ref if deployed to Virt Server under Default web site (Sharepoint)
I have created a web service wich I can deploy successfully to a new IIS Web, but of course I have to set the port to something other than 80 (and I'd rather just use a virtual server under the Default web). If I try to deploy my web service under the Default Web as a new virtual server, and then try to "Add a web Reference" to the service, it fails with a 404: not found error. Notes: WServer 2003 My IIS server is running Sharepoint Portal Server (SPPS)sp2.  VS2005 Any ideas? /Bob C in GRR In Sharepoint Portal Admin I had to add a Path Exclusion.  Took me a whi...

Deployment of a vs 2005 web site to web server
Hi, When using the visio studio 2005, I just use the project / copy project menu to copy all the files needed to run my application, then would just upload the generated files to the web server.   When I only make a code behind change, I would just do the same thing and ONLY needed to upload the project name DLL of the project to the web server bin folder.  I am hoping that there is a similar way with VS 2005 with Ajax enabled web site.With VS 2005, I have done a build / publish web site from the menu but there is no project name dll produced on the bin folder, there was ...

Determining If a Project is Web Site vs Web Application
For an web application migrated from VS2003 to VS2005 (.Net 1.x to .Net 2.0 / C#), how can I tell if the application in VS 2005 is indeed a web application project type or web site project type?    in visual studio , inside solution explorer , right click on the Project(website) , if the last Context menu item is " Property Pages" , it will be a website,but if its "Properties" it will be  web application project (WAP).I recommended to look at this thread: http://forums.asp.net/t/1260520.aspx Note :Always Ask your questions in the most rele...

Web Site vs. Web App
I've been reading a lot of the posts with everyone on the web site projects vs. web application projects.  What concerns me is why did MS put this web site option in?  What really concerns me is if the development community doesn't like it, why should I consider using that option if no one will use it and MS might eventually drop it as an option?  It has to be there for a reason and what I'm interested in is what that reason is...if anyone can add into that. Hi Razor, Some people love the web site option and others prefer the web application option.  It really comes do...

General design error in web deployment projects for web site projects?
  When you create a Web Site Project in VS2008 and add a Web Deployment Project you can choose to create a single output assembly and leave the aspx and ascx files updateable. In this scenario you can deploy your unfinished Web Site to a Webdesigner that modifies the layout. The problem now is, to get those files back in the source tree. As the web deployment project removes the CodeFile attribute of such files I need to readd it manually or write a program that does this step for me. Is my scenario so uncommon and why or am I missing a point? I don't want to give my ...

How to deploy a setup project to a web site instead under default web site?
Hi, I like to illustrate my point of confusion. In my case, I can not see any web site defined as virtual directory under Default Web Site over the internet. I like to know how to configure my web setup project, so that I can deploy my new project under the WEB Site instead of under the Ddfault Web Site. I have tried a long time to find out the answer and no luck so far. IIS WebServerName WEB SITE --------------------You can create new web site right click here .........DEFAULT Web Site----You can create new virtual directory right click here ....................FTP ...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

How to deploy web project in VS 2005 using web setup project
I have developed a new .NET Web application in C#. It is working find in localhost, i want to deploy the application to the production server. Please let me know what are the steps i need to follow to create an MSI file with VS.NET Installer in VS 2005. When i am trying to create a websetup project with a new solution option, it is not giving me the primary output file selection, i mean to say i am not at all getting the list of resources to select in the drop down list and also my project in the projects drop down list. Please some boyd help me and tell me is there any thing need to be done...

Web Site Project and Web Application Project
I hope someone can help me out with this question.I have been using Web Application Projects and like what it can offer because I am so used to how VS 2003 was structured. I am trying to teach someone the difference between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to create a new solution that is specific to the Web Site Project structure anymore. I thought when I installed Web Application Projects, I would have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects. Is there something I am overlooking when I create a new solution or project?I hope someone can answer this question.Thank you.    Is there anybody out there that can answer this question? Thanks. I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I figured I would post just in case it is.To create a website using VS (without creating a project):File | New | Web SiteDoes that answer your question?Thanks,Jim.  You ask a very good question and I thought I would add in my two cents worth of explanation to this posting. All versions of the purchased Visual Studio.NET 2005 product and the Visual Web Developer Express free download can create Web Site Projects.  For the purchased versions of Visual Studio.NET 2005, you go to File - New - Web Site.  For the free download Visual Web Developer Express you choose File - New Web Site. The purchased versions of Visual Studio.NET 2005 can have an add-...

Web resources about - how to package VS Web Site App to be published as a Project web site on a production web server in a sub folder of the main website - asp.net.vs-web-deploy-projects

Video production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Video production is videography , the process of capturing moving images on electronic media (e.g., video tape , direct to disk recording , or ...

BHP's deadly dam collapse linked to ramping up production
Testing reveals high levels of arsenic and lead in the river system after the collapse of a dam at a BHP joint-owned iron ore mine in Brazil. ...

Curious Signs Phares, Hanour Joins The Cavalry - Production Moves - AdAge
Sydney-based Curious Film has added U.S. director Brian Phares to its roster. Phares, who has decided to relocate to Australia, began directing ...

Toyota C-HR stays sharp from prototype to production
Filed under: 2016 Geneva Motor Show , Scion , Toyota , Crossover , Budget The new C-HR marks Toyota's entry into the ultra-competitive sub-compact ...

SunEdison Partnering With Jinergy For 1.5 GW Integrated N-type Heterojunction Solar Cell Production Facility ...
... Technology Company, are partnering for the creation of a 1.5 gigawatt integrated N-type mono-crystalline hetero-junction solar cell production ...

Ford moves up Mustang production
Production for the latest Ford Mustang has been pushed up two years, reports Mashable.

Apple’s top chipmaker will double production ahead of iPhone 7
For all the talk of slowing iPhone sales, you wouldn’t get that impression from the manufacturer set to build Apple’s A10 chips for the upcoming ...

Jeff Robinov’s Studio 8 Mints Four Creative Execs As Albert Hughes’ ‘Solutrean’ Starts Production
... creative executives. Rishi Rajani , Greg Self , Kevin Shih and Liz Varner have all been promoted in Jeff Robinov’s expanding film and TV production ...

Gabe Newell fires Dota 2 host and production company during live tournament
... That was a mistake. James is an ass, and we won't be working with him again. 2) As long as we're firing people, we are also firing the production ...

Nan Ya Photonics to quit LED wafer production, says paper
Nan Ya Photonics will stop producing LED epitaxial wafers and chips and focus on LED lighting products, according to Chinese-language newspaper ...