Where is Visual Web Developer within Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition?

I have VS2008 Standard Edition installed on a Win XP Home Edition which of course does not have IIS. I've seen in the doc how "Visual Web Developer" is not only free with an "Express Edition" of its own but is good for precisely doing web page development without IIS.

Now I am guessing that to do this in Standard Edition one simply has to create web sites using the "File System" (rather than HTTP). That is effectively using "Visual Web Developer" when one is fortunate enough to have the Standard Edition. Asking another way, "where is Visual Web Devl inside Standard Edition? I cannot find it!".

Is my understanding above correct? I hope the question makes sense? Thanks!

John
0
jjamjatra

You kinda talking in circles and seems you don't understand the terms you are using.

 Here some clarification:

  1. Visual Studio Standard Edition: Comes with Visual Web Designer. There are no sub editions off of standard. (Standard comes with alot of modules or what they call products)
  2. Visual Web Developer, Express Edition - You are limited to using Visual Web Developer and no other module that comes with standard (like the module used to work with WIndow Forms Apps). The Express version of Visual Studio  is sub skued.
  3. Visual Web Developer- A design surface for ASP.NET and Web applications. Visual Web Designer uses the Cassini web server client in cases where the web project isn't hosted in IIS.

I have professional here is what I have installed (I highlight Visual Web Developer for your benifit) You'll also notice I have third party products installed which is not possible with Express:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762  (SP.050727-7600)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727 SP1

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Visual Basic 2005
Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
Microsoft Visual J# 2005

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
Version 8.0.50727.762
Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005
EventToaster   1.0
PowerToy demonstrating how to respond to IDE events from a package.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

SourceOutliner   1.0
Creates a tool window that provides an outline view of a source code file.

SuperDiff   1.0
Implements the WinDiff engine in a Visual Studio tool window.

 So in short Standard Edition gives you much more than just the web developer product.

0
odujosh
6/25/2008 9:14:05 PM

Neither VS 2008 or VS 2005 require IIS.

The Web Features are built in to the existing IDE of both so a separate Web Developer is not required

When you create a web site it will be created in your VS 2008 (or VS 2005) Web Site folder by default or you can put anywhere else in your file system that you might prefer.

All the web related tools will also be in your toolbox and be available to your .ASPX page.

Hope that's clear and answers all of your questions.

0
bluejeanbaby
6/25/2008 10:46:45 PM

Thanks for responding. I realize my question is kind of fuzzy. I have used VS2005 for a long time on my XP professional machine at work where I have IIS installed and where I can develop sites on the File System, HTTP localhost or remote web servers. On my home PC running XP Home Edition without IIS I presume all my web pages developed with VS2008 Standard Edition will need to use the File System not HTTP.

I guess I just want to know where is "Visual Web Developer" launched from. Start->All Programs->Visual Studio 2008 (or 2005) exposes ONLY Visual Studio as a choice.

Please understand I have never installed the "Express Editions" of these products. I suppose perhaps these editions expose something called "Visual Web Developer" in the Program Tree.

When I look at the Help->About box I see roughly the same thing that "Visual Web Developer" is installed but since there seems no way to "start it" I presume it just means the IDE of Visual Studio.

Are these presumptions correct? Here is my COPY INFO from Help-About:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 3.5

Installed Edition: Standard

Microsoft Visual Basic 2008   91851-136-3930094-60934
Microsoft Visual Basic 2008

Microsoft Visual C# 2008   91851-136-3930094-60934
Microsoft Visual C# 2008

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008   91851-136-3930094-60934
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008

John
0
jjamjatra
6/26/2008 4:48:00 PM

jjamjatra:

I guess I just want to know where is "Visual Web Developer" launched from. Start->All Programs->Visual Studio 2008 (or 2005) exposes ONLY Visual Studio as a choice.

I have the same set up on my home pc except that it's a tablet so I have access to IIS. However, I don't need to use it with VS 2005 Standard.

All I do is go to the File Menu and Create a Project or a Web Site using the default file locations that VS 2005 sets up when it installs in the My Documents folder. Web sites will be saved to the Web Sites folder in the VS 2005 folder and Projects will be saved to the Projects folder.

You probably know this but I'm just giving a little more detail in case you don't or in case someone else reads this and needs more specifics.

So, the process is identical to the one that you would use at work except the location of the Web Files. At work you probably place these in wwwroot.

The creation of the web site will create a default.aspx page as per normal, again, no different from developing in an IIS environment and when you run the Debugger a page will display.

At this point, you will see an icon in your toolbox which, if you scan it, should give the port number it's using and say local host: http://localhost:<portnumber>

This is the built-in Web Server.

Does this explain it more clearly?

0
bluejeanbaby
6/26/2008 5:27:52 PM

 Just one more comment. As far as I know there is no independent component (or need for one) that you need to access.

They call it Visual Web Developer but in VS 2005, as far as I know, it's integrated into the IDE.

When you do your initial install you do have the option of starting in that mode but that mode also appears automatically when you Create a Web site project.

It's my understanding that the Express versions split all the modes into smaller independent packages, one of which is called Visual Web Developer.

0
bluejeanbaby
6/26/2008 5:35:09 PM

 Thank you, bluejeanbaby, for a very clear explanation. I am going to try to re-summarize briefly for any other confused people:

  • In VStudio2005/2008 Standard Edition, "visual web developer" is not something you START as from the Program Tree but rather simply a "mode" within the IDE which is building a web site project or a "web site" - each model defaulting to a different folder within the My Documents\Visual Studio 200x\ hierarchy.
  • Using VStudio2005/2008 Standard on Win XP Home Edition means any web site or web app project must use the built-in server (not IIS) which in turn means it cannot be HTTP but instead must be stored within the File System (one of the choices in the dropdownlist).
I think I have it now (assuming the above recap is correct) !Smile

John
0
jjamjatra
6/26/2008 6:03:57 PM

 You got it John. :-)

0
bluejeanbaby

Difference between visual studio 2008 development edition and visual studio 2008 team edition?
i see some menus changed but what is the actual difference The following link has the VS product Comparison chart: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=727bcfb0-b575-47ab-9fd8-4ee067bb3a37&DisplayLang=en In short, Team Suite has tools that are in the Architectute, Database, and Test editions that the Development edition does not have....

Which is best for web pages
Which is best to buy to develop aspx web pages. Visual Studio 2008 or Visual web developer 2008? http://forums.asp.net/p/1137916/1824119.aspx#1824119http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx We All move to our original place.Don't forget.Imran Baloch Visual Web Developer of course, because it's free!! visual web developer is build into visual studio. in the free copys the desktop apps and websites are two diffrent pages. if all you are looking to do is to make a page you can download your app on make an install file and host it somwhere. ...

Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions , Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express
Newbie questions....    What is the difference between all this products, i understand now all of them are free of charge, my intention is to build a website, then i do not know if    Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express,  are independent produckts or just some kind of adds to  the last oneI have downloaded visual web developer 2005, and the starter kit, is this all that i need starting to work building my pages or am i missing something else? See the Express Products column in the Visual Studio 2005 Product Lin...

Can Visual Web Developer 2008 & Visual Studio 2008 run on the same machine?
Can Visual Web Developer 2008 & Visual Studio 2008 run on the same machine?  Machine running Windows VISTA. Looking for simplified text formatting options.  Wondering if both programs can be run (not at the same time) VWD for graphics developer and VSP 2008 for programmers.     Quick answer: I believe you can. Why not try it? zoltac007:VWD for graphics developer Why not Expression? (Which shares the same solutions/projects with VS, to make sharing easier.)Richard We 'tried' VISTA way too early and set our development team back three months.&nb...

Visual Studio 2008 -or- Visual Web Developer Express 2008 -or- SharePoint Designer / Etc.
It's been a while since I actively designed in dot net.  Now it's time to do some serious updating to our website (from dot net 1.1 to 3.5).  I haven't used any of the new design tools but want to be able to take complete advantage of all the new features of v3.5 and the features of development applications. What are the differences between Visual Studio 2008 / Visual Web Developer Express 2008 / SharePoint Designer / Etc. and are there any others I should consider for development?  I just want to settle on a development platform so I can start moving forward...

Silverlight tools with Visual Web Designer 2008 or just Visual Studio Standard 2008?
Should Silverlight tools work with Visual Web Designer 2008? It won't install, even though it is Orcas. It says Orcas has to be installed.  I am trying to play audio for a bunch of songs from my website, and display the lyrics.  Thanks---Bill Rosshttp://woundedego.com hello. make sure you've installed beta 2 and are using the corresponding silverlight tools.-- Regards,Luis Abreuemail: labreu_at_gmail.comEN blog:http://msmvps.com/blogs/luisabreu...

Installing Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 With Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 On Machine
I recently completed a successful installation of Visual Studio 2005 on my machine that had Visual Studio 2003 on it already.  I am interested in the beta of Visual Studio 2008, but I'm not sure if there will be conflicts with the previous versions.  Has anyone done this successfully?  Are there any special steps that need to happen for these three development environments to exist together?You can't stop entropy so why even try? I have installed it on my machine but havent had any problems until now though I have not done a lot of work on 2008 yet. This is the only ...

What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?
 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?www.buggrep.comBest error repository site on the web!! If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.I think that the older sql expr...

Visual Studio 2008 advantages over Visual Web Developer?
What are the advantages of using Visual Studio 2008 over Visual Web Developer?I know I can create windows programs in Visual Studio, but my reason for using it strictly web development.I will basically be building many intranet sites pulling information out of a business system.Are there massive differences in Visual Studio vs Visual web developer that would make me really need the Visual Studio? Thanks in advance for the help!Cavall  I found that comparisonhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/products/cc149003.aspx Mohamed Abb@s------------------------Please remember to click...

Visual Studio 2008 & Visual Web Developer 2005
I've been watching the great video series on ASP.NET development and am thrilled by what I've learned.  However, one feature of Visual Web Developer 2005 that is conspicuously absent from Visual Studio 2008 (which I am using) is the Layout menu.  Layout==>Position==>Autoposition Options is simply not available in VS2008 and although I've found something similar under Tools==>Options HTML Designer==CSS Styling where I can select "Change position to absolute for controls added using Toolbox, paste or drag and drop", it seems the application is...

Visual Studio 2008 +Visual Basic 2008
Hello, I am wondering if I can use Visual Studio 2008 pro to create a project in Visual Basic 2008 for PDAs...? Should it have an option to create a PDA's projects?   Yes, you can create one under New Project --> Visual basic --> Smart Device Project.  Good Luck....

How to use Visual Web Developper 2008 Express Edition with Visual C# 2008 Express Edition for n-tier development
Can these products be bundled when working in a n-tier project? What are the best practise methods? Or is moving to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon the solution? In most cases you will find all you need is in VWD 2008, If you install SP1 then you can compile class libraries now as well, so less need for c#2008. Also you might find this good to read http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will know which post solve...

How can I convert the project developed in 2003 visual studio to 2008 visual studio?
 Hello People,I have web application developed in visual studio 2003. How can I convert the whole project developled in 2003 visual studio to 2008 Visual studio? Please give me  the steps  or procedures.Thanks in advance. Try simply opening the project in 2008 and follow wizard steps.Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.  Hello Mikhail, I have not seen Wizard for converting  web application from 2003 projectto 2008 Project.I have just seen a wiz...

I Have visual studio 2008 how can i convert my web project to work in visual studio 2005?
 I Have visual studio 2008 how can i convert my web project to work in visual studio 2005? where is the option to convert the project to work in vs2005 area? The best way to go about this is to create a new web application by going to:  file -> open -> website -> then select the folder that your website lies in then save the solution as a visual studio 2005 project. but i dont have in save as property, the ability to convert the project to work in visual studio 2005   ok, then lets create a new asp.net web application, then add the existing files from t...

Web resources about - Where is Visual Web Developer within Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition? - asp.net.visual-studio-2008

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Pixel (game developer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amaya's other work includes the game Ikachan which he released in 2000, as well as many other low-profile games. He is currently developing a ...

Apple announces it will discontinue iAd App Network for developers on June 30th
On its developer news blog, Apple has announced that it is closing the iAd App Network on June 30th. Targeted at smaller publishers, the iAd ...

Developers Get On Survival Mode In The Wilderness Of Lapland
... isn’t enough of a challenge. Now one of the largest game development events, Finnish Game Jam Goes Survival Mode , gathers together 20 developers ...

How malware developers could bypass Mac’s Gatekeeper without really trying
(credit: Patrick Wardle) In September, Ars reported a drop-dead simple exploit that completely bypassed an OS X security feature known as Gatekeeper ...

How dying baby salmon inspired these developers to build a better building for Tableau
When they go to work in their new Seattle office building in 2017, Tableau Software (NYSE: DATA) employees who commute by bicycle will be able ...

Create promo codes for your apps and in-app products in the Google Play Developer Console
Posted by Yoshi Tamura, Product Manager, Google Play Over the past six months, a number of new tools in the Google Play Developer Console have ...

Developers love this startup with a funny name — and it just raised another $63 million
... in different categories. In less than 6 years since launching, App Annie has practically become the de facto analytics tool for app developers, ...

Watch app developer won’t sleep until vets with PTSD can
A watch app developed by the son of an Iraq war veteran could help veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder finally get good sleep.

Judge Denies Developer's Bid to Overturn Landmark Status of UES Buildings
A State Supreme Court judge denied an owner&#39;s request&nbsp;to overturn landmark status on two&nbsp;buildings. UPPER EAST SIDE — A developer ...