Web Site Project or Web Application Project?

Hi all,

I have a situation here.  My team's project has window and web clients, and we used Team System to control Source Code.

We have a contract company that develop the generated codes for some of the web pages that being used in the web client.  They built it using Web Site Project.  We still need to develop some other web pages that has different functionalities than the code generator and one of our team member created a project which is a Web Application Project.  Now, the code generator doesn't work because it won't compile in our Web Application Project since the web pages that being generated by the code generator missing the *.designer.cs file.

My question is, which should we create?  Web Site Project or Web Application Project?  If we want to use the code generator as it is right now (Web Site Project) and change our Web Application Project to Web Site Project, what would be the impact?

Thanks!

QBui

0
qbui66

Hi There,

Have a look at this article, would clear some of your cloud .

 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(VS.80).aspx#wapp_topic5

Hope it helps!

DC517
This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved.
0
d4dennis
6/5/2008 12:28:17 AM

An easy way to automatically create/recreate a *.designer.cs file in any Web Application Project for any type of Web file (*.aspx, *.ascx, etc.) is to right-click the *.aspx file and click "Convert to Web Application".

If you decide to go with the Web Site model instead of the Web Application Project model, create a new Web Site and copy/paste the existing files from the Project to the Site. It's easiest when the Web Site and Web App Project are in the same Visual Studio Solution.

Let me know if I didn't answer your question.

Good luck.

0
corkwatchr

Which is best web application projects or Web site projects in VS 2008
Hi, Using VS.NET 2008 We are developing a web based product (inventory, accounts,etc). This product has DA, BO layers. We are currently using web site project model. We are using webdelopyemnt project for deploying at client place.I want to know that, which model Web site model or web applicaton model is a best model for applications?I read most of the blogs and also articles for knowing difference between these two models.  But I am not coming under conclusion.Let me know your views and alos best answers Regards S. Muhilan   As you probably know, the difference between...

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

Web Application Project/Web Site Project
Hello, I have some couple of questions... 1) How do I know a particular application already built in asp.net is "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ?2) Also I have a application built in ASP.NET and If I open the source code in VS2005, Its giving a message saying this application is built in old version and it should be converted into new version before even using. So should I migrate the application to "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ? . kindly advise..(Note: This application is NOT very big or complex.) Thanks in Advance..Renil. 1)A web application pro...

Web Site Project and Web Application Project
I hope someone can help me out with this question.I have been using Web Application Projects and like what it can offer because I am so used to how VS 2003 was structured. I am trying to teach someone the difference between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to create a new solution that is specific to the Web Site Project structure anymore. I thought when I installed Web Application Projects, I would have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects. Is there something I am overlooking when I ...

Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005
 Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005 What are the main benefits of using a Web App project over a Website project or vice-versa? Web App Project: You have to jump through hoops to use edit and continue with a Web App where in a website it just works. I’ve figured this out with the help of ScottGu. Thanks! http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/VS-2005-Web-Application-Project-V1.0-Released.aspx Web App Project: what are the *.aspx.designer.cs files for? Website Project: how do you set up the project to use a ...

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

Difference between Web Site Project, and Web Application Project?
Hi - can anyone please explain, in simple terms, what the difference is between a Web Site Project, and a Web Application Project? I've read Scotts blog at http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBasic/Migration/Migration.aspx - but am none the wiser. I'm about to upgrade from VS2003 to VS2005 - and don't want to waste a lot of time upgrading existing 2003 web apps to 2005 web site projects, if web application projects are more appropriate. Thanks for any guidance, Mark Hi.I have exactly the same question, and can't find any information about it.Can anyone help us?Sérgio Also i...

migrating web site project to web application project
hi i faced a different problem like i have all the namespace in my references folder but still the problem existed for scriptmanager,updatepanel,updateprogress     in default.aspx.designer.cs page it shows the error message can't found particular assembly  this is the declaration in default.aspx.designer.cs page protected System.Web.UI.ScriptManager ScriptManager1; Error 8 The type or namespace name 'ScriptManager' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Web.UI' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Web\web\web\Logged\default.aspx.des...

Converting a Web Application Project to a Web Site Project
I converted a VS 2003 web application to VS 2005 using the Web Application Project model.  Is it possible to convert this to a Web Site Project once it is upgraded to VS 2005? We don't have any automated tools to convert from VS2005 WAP to Websites.  If you really prefer to use the website model, I would recommend converting directly from VS2003 to Websites.  To do that you can open the VS2003 app using the "Open Website" command.Omar KhanVisual Web Developer Team I thought you were going to say that.  I have spent quite a bit of time getting rid of most of the warnin...

Converting a Web Site Project to a Web Application Project ?
I upgraded my .NET 1.1 apps to Web Site Projects long before this add on was released and was wondering if there's  a way to convert these Web Site Projects to Web Application Projects because I really did like the old way of just uploading one dll to the web server when updates came around.   Is there a way to do this?In this world there are 10 types of people, those that know binary and those who don't. Here are a couple of tutorials that describe how to do this: C# - http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx VB - http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBa...

Converting web site project to web application in vs 2008
I am converting web site project into web applicatio project in vs 2008 and running into web reference related issue.  I am not so sure how to address this.  Our old web site application had app_webreferences folder with AllServices as sub folder and then all of the web services under that folder. for example:  AllServices\AService.wsdl  AllServices\BService.wsdl   AllServices\CService.wsdl   etc... our code references AllServices.BService in the code or AllServices.AService etc...  It seems like when I Right Clicked on web application project...

Difference between Web Site project and (NEW) Web application project?
Hi there,i have been reading about the new Web application project (addon) for Visual Studio 2005, all sounds really nice but i just can't put my finger on it...Whats the differences really? And why is  one better than the other?I also read about the Visual studio 2005 Web deployment projects, which from what i can gather allows us to deploy our code like back in 2003 i..e. with a BIN directory  and dll which is the compiled code behind stuff..are these in anyway linked together?Thanks in advacne for any info..Best rregardsIan Have a look here http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...

Integrate/combine web application projects with web site project
I have a (dnn) website, using the standard vs 2005 web site project. In it, I use a virtual directory that to develop modules. They are defined in web application projects, that build to the bin map of the main site. This works great: I can use web application projects to manage my modules (consisting of ascx controls and class libraries), and use the code I downloaded for dnn without changes.Now, when I add an aspx page in a web application project, I got a problem: It builds, but when I want to open the aspx page with the browser, I get an error that an http module defined in the web.confi...

Web application project or Web site project which is "better"?
Hi,We are a bit confused as to which web project type is best to use.Currently we have a number of large projects in the old style with .vbproj files. These have been upgraded to VS2008 web application projects. Compilation seems slower of upgraded projects than created from scratch web site projects. I do get the impression MS is pushing the new style format for future releases.What are the advantages/disadvantages of the new web site project?Where do references get stored in the new style project?Where do the control declarations get hidden in partial classes?Thanks, Alex ...

Web resources about - Web Site Project or Web Application Project? - asp.net.visual-studio-2008

Development application for Holt golf course land open for public inspection
The developers selling 350 dwellings on disused parts of the Holt golf course have submitted their development application for public inspection. ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 24% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Surve Mortgage applications decreased 3.2 percent from one week earlier, according ...

Mortgage applications fall 3.2%
A definitive rise in mortgage interest rates over the last month is keeping borrowers at bay.

Sony Mobile, LG reportedly to develop smartphone application processors in-house
... Communications and LG Electronics reportedly will follow the steps of Apple, Samsung Electronics and Huawei to develop smartphone-use application ...