Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Studio 2008

I have 2 systems. One running XP Pro SP2 + updates second Vista + Updates (and SP1 when its released)

I have a copy of Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008.

Should i use Visual Studio 2008 on both systems as it allows me to target different .Net platforms? or should i use XP with VS 2005 and Vista with VS 2008. My aim is to create projects for different platforms but still have the advantages of a new product and features i.e. WPF, AJAX, intellisense etc.

Is there a reason why someone would want to have VS2005 running on XP rather than VS 2008. Im under the impression VS 2008 can do everything VS2005 can but has the added benefits of new technology where in VS2005 you have to add new feature by manually installing them (AJAX etc)

EssCee

That is correct, VS 2008 includes all of VS 2005's features. There wouldn't be an advantage to using 2005 over 2008. However, if you are working in a Team environment, VS 2008 will convert the project and solution files to VS 2008 format, which VS 2005 cannot open, even if the target framework version is 2.0. However, some features were removed from VS 2008 that were in 2005 in favor of newer technologies, such as WSE was replaced by WCF.

Cheers,
       Kevin Jones

0
vcsjones
3/3/2008 4:01:06 PM

Excellent guess VS2008 on XP and Vista is the way to go.

Shame some little features such as having the option to select the masterpageFile when adding a new apsx page is not available in VS2008 but is in VS2005. Other than that VS2008 i think is a lot "speedier".

0
EssCee
3/3/2008 4:25:47 PM

Hi there Kevin

Would you know if the 'Web Application Project" for VS2005 is perhaps available for VS2008?

I'm having difficulty finding anything to that regards.

I've setup a virtual pc running XP and VS2008 and I want to start messing around porting my VS2003 and VS2005 projects to VS2008 with the exception that my VS2005 projects was comiled using the web app project and the convertion gave me a problem:

This is the result:

Conversion Issues - Website\AIG_SAR.csproj:
Project file successfully backed up as C:\Projects\AIG_SAR\VS2005_Backup\Backup\Website\AIG_SAR.csproj
Project converted successfully
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

The highlighted one above is i think the troublesome one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

0
MariusEls
3/3/2008 6:45:09 PM

 Would you know if the 'Web Application Project" for VS2005 is perhaps available for VS2008?

Yes, VS2008 has the "ASP.NET Web Application" project templates listed under VB and C# project types.

0
anhphan
3/3/2008 11:30:21 PM

Well I've learned something: maybe spend the same amount of time scratching around in the VS IDE, than scouring the web for answers....

Thanks, I found it.

0
MariusEls
3/4/2008 6:57:05 AM

I think my problem was that i was too eager to get into VS2008, because i started the conversion process without the website being created in IIS that the project uses....
So I created the website and pointed it to my projects' website directory, then did the conversion again, this time without any problems!

0
MariusEls

Installing Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 With Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 On Machine
I recently completed a successful installation of Visual Studio 2005 on my machine that had Visual Studio 2003 on it already.  I am interested in the beta of Visual Studio 2008, but I'm not sure if there will be conflicts with the previous versions.  Has anyone done this successfully?  Are there any special steps that need to happen for these three development environments to exist together?You can't stop entropy so why even try? I have installed it on my machine but havent had any problems until now though I have not done a lot of work on 2008 yet. This is the only ...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Studio 2008 #2
Are there any known issues with decimal rounding in VS 2008.  I have developed a timesheet app that calculates hours based on start and stop times.  It works fine when I use debugger in VS 2005 and a local host.  My boss uses VS 2008 to publish my app.  When he publishes it, my calculations are not rounding properly.  Example:  Someone clocks in at 11:30pm and clocks out at 11:59pm,  in debug mode on my localhost, it rounds it to .5 hours.  When this code gets published, it rounds it to 0 hours.  Thanks  Considering that both the VS 2005...

upgrading from visual studio 2005 to visual studio 2008
Hi,Im using visual studio 2005 currently and due to new features provided in visual studio 2008 want to use that. But im in fear of uninstalling visual studio 2005 tha installing visual studio 2008 . it take a lot time. Is there any upgradatio wizard so that i can upgrade my older version of visual studio with the new version i.e. with 2008. If no than please tell me every possible way and alternatives.   Please Help Me OutThanks in advance!! Hi, You shouldn't have any problem running 2005 and 2008 on one machine.  .net 3.5 is pretty much .net 2.0 with new feature...

Convert Visual Studio 2008 code to Visual Studio 2005
 I had created my website in  in Visual Studio 2008 in our college, but now I want to run this website at my home,but problem is I have Visual Studio 2005 at my home, so please tell me how can I run this website on Visual Studio 2005.Is there any conversion tool available.Thanks a lot in advance There is no backward conversion tool that I know of. If you are using a web site project (not a web application project), just create a new web site project in VS2005 and point it at a copy of the code.If it is a web application project, you'll have to create a new project and then us...

Shifting to Visual Studio 2008, should i uninstall Visual studio 2005
I have a Web application which has been developed in Visual studio 2005 (.NEt 2.0) . Now i am shifting to Visual Studio 2008. I am not aware what all errors will i get in Visual studio 2008 (.NET 3.5). However i read that Visual Studio 2008 has an option of Choosing the .NET Framework (2.0,3.0,3.5). Does that imply that any web application which is currenlty having no errors in Visual studio 2005(.NET framework 2.0) will build successfully in Visual studio 2008 if i choose the .NET Freamework as 2.0 or are there any other dependies.   Hi, for my former project we upgraded to v...

What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?
 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?www.buggrep.comBest error repository site on the web!! If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.I think that the older sql expr...

Difference between visual studio 2008 development edition and visual studio 2008 team edition?
i see some menus changed but what is the actual difference The following link has the VS product Comparison chart: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=727bcfb0-b575-47ab-9fd8-4ee067bb3a37&DisplayLang=en In short, Team Suite has tools that are in the Architectute, Database, and Test editions that the Development edition does not have....

Visual Studio 2005 vs. Visual Studio 2005 BETA 2
In terms of functionality and features, I was wondering whether there any major differences between Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 Beta2. Thanks From the C# Windows Apps & Web Apps - pecadillos more than anything.  I have several sizeable projects in bothe.g. MDI child/parent Mensu/toolstrips no longer automergesome complaints about rafting property that no longer exists in Windows forms controlsIf it was easy, everybody would be doing it. The primary difference was mainly a lot of bug fixes.  Two areas that we enhanced were website projects and ...

Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition beta VS Visual Studio.net 2003
Is Visual C# 2005 Express Edition Beta better than Visual Studio.net 2003 ? HighOnCodingWanna get high! in my opinon no. vs.net 2003 is a released application, and is used for more than just c#. visual studio whidbey beta is pretty cool except it's a little quirky still. I swear I can't wait til august.Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? Zero. Is Visual C# 20...

I Have visual studio 2008 how can i convert my web project to work in visual studio 2005?
 I Have visual studio 2008 how can i convert my web project to work in visual studio 2005? where is the option to convert the project to work in vs2005 area? The best way to go about this is to create a new web application by going to:  file -> open -> website -> then select the folder that your website lies in then save the solution as a visual studio 2005 project. but i dont have in save as property, the ability to convert the project to work in visual studio 2005   ok, then lets create a new asp.net web application, then add the existing files from t...

Visual studio 2005 Vs Visual studio 2003
Hi,  Can anyone please tell me the difference between Visual studio 2003 and visual studio 2005 ?  What are the main features that are available in visual studio 2005 ?   And also please let me know any url where i can get more idea about visual studio 2005. Thanks in advance  Regards, RamCheers,Ramaswamy T.S.  Check VS.NET 2005's 400 plus new features/differences here - http://www.microsoft.com/germany/msdn/400differences/default.mspxM.V. 'Anil' Radhakrishna Web Development Tips, Tricks & Trivia | My Code Gallery Recent article - How To Create...

from Visual Studio .NET to Visual studio 2005 (VB)
Good evening, i hame one quistion about diffrenece Visual studio 2005 and older version.In Visual studio .NET to work with table from data base i do next steps:1. Create new connection to data base in data explorer2. Push my table from data explorer to my form, and master automatically create two components (SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter)3. Add to from new object - Dataset for transering data to client application (i amke a web service) and execute command from menu Data | Generate DataSet, then in Dialog box i Add this dataset to the designerThat's itThe quistion is how to do this st...

Web resources about - Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Studio 2008 - asp.net.visual-studio-2008

Visual Basic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Visual Basic was derived from BASIC and enables the rapid application development (RAD) of graphical user interface (GUI) applications, access ...

Microsoft’s Android emulator coming soon to Mac as it open-sources Visual Studio Code
During Microsoft’s Connect 2015 event today live from New York, the company announced it is open-sourcing its Visual Studio Code program for ...

Visual Studio now supports debugging Linux apps; Code editor now open source
The Visual Studio Code editor, now open source, editing TypeScript on OS X. (credit: Microsoft) NEW YORK—Developers can now debug apps running ...

Read This: The visual development of Darth Vader
Brian Muir, the legendary artist who sculpted the original Darth Vader helmet based on Ralph McQuarrie’s designs, recently announced on Twitter ...

How to Stop Visual Hacking. Yes, That’s a Thing!
... you or your company from the high-tech hackers of the world, but it means nothing if someone can simply steal information with a glance. Visual ...

How to use Maps To Make Your Blog More Visual
... a topic or piece of content that has to do with places and locations. Nowadays (and often in the olden days), readers gravitate towards visual ...

Visual Effects On ‘The Martian,’ ‘Ant-Man’ And ‘The Walk’ Stand Out In Blockbuster Year For VFX
It's been a transformative year for the art of visual effects , demonstrated not only by the increasingly ordinary and realistic depiction of ...

The Good Dinosaur's Visual Grandeur Makes Up For Its Lack Of Wit
One of the constant accolades Pixar receives about its movies is that they’re not made just for kids. This is meant as a compliment: While they’re ...

Clannad visual novel on Steam, briefly outsells Call of Duty
Visual novel Clannad released on PC in Japan back in 2004 and since spawned various adaptations, including an anime series. Publisher Sekai Project ...

Microsoft Integrates IncrediBuild Into Visual Studio 2015 Update 1
The integration of IncrediBuild into Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 provides enhanced acceleration and build visualization to users of the IDE. ...