unable to select/edit text in design mode

Hi all,

I have a really annoying problem with vs2008. I'm opening a remote website. When ever i open an aspx page and try to edit the text of the page, my first click on any text in the page selects the whole page - in this case it selects the table that all of the content of the page is in. if i click a 2nd time the cursor is now blinking at the point where i clicked and i can edit the text using the keyboard. But if i try to use the mouse to highlight any text or do anything, on the next click it goes and selects the entire table again. Click-drag select does the same thing - selects the whole table.

Anyone know what this happens and how to stop it? Makes it a real pain in the rear to do simple text edits since most of it has to be done in code view since i cant actually select any individual items.

All the pages use the same master page and i have the same problem trying to edit the master page as well.

Any suggestions?

thanks
0
merk

Hi if i have understood your issue correct, try using the z-index in the css. Hope this should solve this. I happen to face a llr issue like this.

Hope this helps

0
spbtech
4/30/2009 12:07:20 AM
thanks for the reply.

How exactly would I do that? There was on section of css dealing only with my menu bar where the z-index was set to 100.

removing that didn't alter the behavior of VS.

thanks
0
merk
4/30/2009 1:15:32 AM

Be very careful with absolutely positioned content. If someone zooms your text in a broweser, it could break things pretty badly.

Are you editing the site live? If so, that could be the problem, especially if you are using ftp. I suggest that you create a disk-based web site and download your site to it. You can then work on it more easily and upload your changed pages after testing.

I am curious if working a disk-based site affects your text selecting issue.

-Preston

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA USA
0
Preston
4/30/2009 4:39:22 AM
Yes a live site. Going in through frontpage extensions, not ftp. But i'll try downloading a copy and giving that a try as well and see if it has any effect. I didnt think it would, but easy enough to find out.
0
merk

Difference between visual studio 2008 development edition and visual studio 2008 team edition?
i see some menus changed but what is the actual difference The following link has the VS product Comparison chart: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=727bcfb0-b575-47ab-9fd8-4ee067bb3a37&DisplayLang=en In short, Team Suite has tools that are in the Architectute, Database, and Test editions that the Development edition does not have....

A compatible version of Visual Studio 2008 was not detected on the system. This update is designed for only the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (ENU) product family, and is not compatible with any Expres
 Hello,          I'm trying to install VS2008 SP1 on Vista Ultimate but I receive this error "A compatible version of Visual Studio 2008 was not detected on the system. This update is designed for only the Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (ENU) product family, and is not compatible with any Express editions." Either I download the installer from here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FBEE1648-7106-44A7-9649-6D9F6D58056E&displaylang=en) or after downloading the ISO from here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?
 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?www.buggrep.comBest error repository site on the web!! If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.I think that the older sql expr...

Visual Studio 2008 -or- Visual Web Developer Express 2008 -or- SharePoint Designer / Etc.
It's been a while since I actively designed in dot net.  Now it's time to do some serious updating to our website (from dot net 1.1 to 3.5).  I haven't used any of the new design tools but want to be able to take complete advantage of all the new features of v3.5 and the features of development applications. What are the differences between Visual Studio 2008 / Visual Web Developer Express 2008 / SharePoint Designer / Etc. and are there any others I should consider for development?  I just want to settle on a development platform so I can start moving forward...

Silverlight tools with Visual Web Designer 2008 or just Visual Studio Standard 2008?
Should Silverlight tools work with Visual Web Designer 2008? It won't install, even though it is Orcas. It says Orcas has to be installed.  I am trying to play audio for a bunch of songs from my website, and display the lyrics.  Thanks---Bill Rosshttp://woundedego.com hello. make sure you've installed beta 2 and are using the corresponding silverlight tools.-- Regards,Luis Abreuemail: labreu_at_gmail.comEN blog:http://msmvps.com/blogs/luisabreu...

Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition beta VS Visual Studio.net 2003
Is Visual C# 2005 Express Edition Beta better than Visual Studio.net 2003 ? HighOnCodingWanna get high! in my opinon no. vs.net 2003 is a released application, and is used for more than just c#. visual studio whidbey beta is pretty cool except it's a little quirky still. I swear I can't wait til august.Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? Zero. Is Visual C# 20...

Selecting Label controls in Visual Studio 2008 Design view
Hello, I am facing a strange issue with selecting Label controls in design view of Visual Studio 2008. As I start everything works fine and when I click on a Label control the designer brings up the properties window where I can modify the properties of the selected Label control. But then as soon as I add any custom control from my long list of custom controls suddenly I am no longer able to select Label controls in my designer and when I hover the mouse cursor over them it remains in the form of the cursor which appears in cases when you would select a place where to type text. Then I r...

Can't edit in design view in Visual Studio 2008
Hi all, For some reason, I can not work in the design view to edit, drag controls or type in VS 2008. When I click in design view, nothing gets selected and the "I-bar" cursor does not appear, just a white arrow cursor.  I've clicked and clicked, and all that happens is the source view page opens, (which I understand double-clicking on the page will do that, but I don't want that response, I just want to select text to edit).  I've closed and reopened VS several times and I still can not work in design view, only in source view.  Now the w...

NORTHWIND.SDF connection problem - Trouble with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition
I have installed Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition and have made sure SP1 was installed before hand. I am try to complete the Visual Basic Training exercise module1 and everything is fine until I try to add a data connection to the NORTHWIND.SDF database file. I get an error message saying '....Access to database file is not allowed...'  However I can clearly 'see' and the file and it's path when using the Browse funtion from the 'ADD Connection' window. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Visual Basic 2008 Express edition but this does n...

"Editing of mobile controls is not supported in the Visual Studio 2008 Designer"
looks like ALL mobile controls that were in VS 2005 are missing? Do I need to use VS 2005 ? IF the VS 2005 mobile controls arent in VS 2008, can be depend on them being supported in VS 2008  when they arrive ? Hello Dean, we had the same topic in the following thread: http://forums.asp.net/t/1206283.aspx If you need ASP.NET Mobile Controls you will have to work either only with the source view in Visual Studio 2008 or you will have to use the Visual Studio 2005 Mobile Designer and then use the source code in VS 2008.  ttklf4 on Twitter...

Visual studio 2008 hangs when opening a master page and child page in design mode.
Hi, Pls help, I am facing a problem in visual studio 2008. Iam not able to open any page in design mode, it gets hangs when opening a master page and child page in design mode.For some time it shows busy after that it is giving Not Responding error and it gets hang.I have already installed this patch "343200_intl_i386_zip".          My Blog: DotNetError@BhatiaWorldDont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know ...

Web resources about - unable to select/edit text in design mode - asp.net.visual-studio-2008

Trump ups the ante in Iowa, calls for more ethanol blending in gas
We must be getting close to a very tight finish in the Iowa caucuses less than two weeks from now. How can you tell? Donald Trump decided to ...

Google Expands Its VR Field Trips Program “Expeditions” With An App For Classrooms & More Virtual Tours ...
Google is expanding its Expeditions program, the company’s effort to bring virtual reality-based field trips to the classroom, with the launch ...

Can the “Hillary Clinton Is Really A Moderate Republican” Argument Be Salvaged?
For some reason, even to people who have no problem mocking the work of people like Young Master Bragman in general, the “Hillary Clinton is ...

Netflix Expands Global Indie Strategy With Slate Of New Features
EXCLUSIVE – As the film world converges on Park City on the eve of Sundance, Netflix is expanding its global indie film strategy with a slate ...

The Latest: Murder-Terrorism Case Suspect Is Back in Court
A Washington state man charged with a terrorism count for allegedly killing a New Jersey college student last year over U.S.

Jamie Foxx saved a man from a burning car
When Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx heard a car crash outside of his Ventura County, California, home he immediately called 9-1-1, then made ...

Water Crisis In Flint Michigan — Governor Issues Plan To ‘Heal Flint’
The water crisis in Flint, Michigan is no light matter. And though government officials swept it under the rug until they were caught, Michigan’s ...

The Morning News: Judge to Rule on Eyman Initiative, Gunmen Attack Pakistan University, Republicans Subpeona ...
Still relevant somehow. courtesy of tim eyman A Judge Will Rule This Week on the Last Tim Eyman Initiative: You remember Initiative 1366, right? ...

Russian bombs take toll in Syria as Islamic State under pressure
By Tom Perry and Suleiman Al-Khalidi BEIRUT (Reuters) - Four months of Russian air strikes in Syria are taking their toll on rebel forces, strengthening ...

Watch this now: New ‘Suicide Squad’ trailer has the perfect score
We told you a new Suicide Squad trailer was due on Tuesday , and Warner Bros. delivered. Not only do we get two minutes and 30 seconds of villainy ...