Javascript Intellisense in VS2008

I must be missing something.  How do I get intellisense to work in VS 2008 for Javascript functions?  For example, when I want to be prompted for an XML DOM method like this:

docContXML.getElementsByTagName ...

In VS2005, I would automatically get prompted with all the methods,  now I just get some generic stuff like .toString.    I have tried  versions of the DOM from MSXML2.DOMDocument to  MSXML5.DOMDocument and nothing will prompt.  There must be a namespace or reference I need to set somewhere to get better intellisense but I can't find out how anywhere.  It was all autmatic in VS2005.  What's different?

0
jfwhitney

Can you give more details about what you are trying to do? Perhaps copy the script block you are writing?

0
Alan
11/24/2008 10:02:10 PM

The script functions fine.  It's just the removal of the intellisense in VS2008 that has me stumped.  I teach a class on basic XML and we do this project every semester.  This year the college switched to VS2008 from VS2005 and when you type "docContXML." you don't get all the built in methods of the DOM, making it very difficult to type in and remember the exact method.  Why would they remove intellisense?  Is there some way to turn it back on?  It doesn't matter which version of MSXML2.DOMDocument is created.  It doesn't work for MSXML5 either.

They seemed to pull a lot of XML support in this release.  I thought possibly I need to add a reference or XML namespace or something.

Here's the script.  It's just plain javascript in and HTML page loading an XML file from the website to do a little AJAX processing.

So my question is why doesn't ".async" or ".load" appear?  All that comes up is .toString and .valueOf .  None of the DOM methods appear.

<script language=javascript>

var docContXML = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument");

function init()
{
    docContXML.async = false;
    docContXML.load("clist.xml");

,,,

0
jfwhitney
11/25/2008 1:29:22 AM

I've gone through some frustrations getting jQuery Intellisense working too.  But I've now resolved those problems and published this to hopefully help others: http://mwtech.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-get-jquery-intellisense-working.html

Robert Werner
Vancouver, BC
www.mwtech.blogspot.com
www.pocketpollster.com/beta
0
rmdw

What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?
 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?www.buggrep.comBest error repository site on the web!! If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.I think that the older sql expr...

Visual Studio 2008 JavaScript intellisense
Hi, I have a function, which returns a div. I want to add a intellisense support, so I`d like to know what type is div? Or other elements? I need to put it to comment to get intellisense support. Is there somthing like base class for all elements? Thanks, radco If this is a answer to your problem, mark it as answer in right upper corner. It helps other who read your article to known that it is correct answer Hi Radco,   Div's do not have constructors so there is no explicitly mentionable "type" you can use as the return value for the func...

FIX: The IntelliSense feature for a Visual C# .NET project stops working in the Visual Studio .NET IDE
Ever got mad because your IntelliSense disappeared? Microsoft finally heard you: http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_838470.aspx or: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838470 MCSD, MCDBA, MCAD, MCSD .NET, MSF Practitioner...

Installing Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 With Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 On Machine
I recently completed a successful installation of Visual Studio 2005 on my machine that had Visual Studio 2003 on it already.  I am interested in the beta of Visual Studio 2008, but I'm not sure if there will be conflicts with the previous versions.  Has anyone done this successfully?  Are there any special steps that need to happen for these three development environments to exist together?You can't stop entropy so why even try? I have installed it on my machine but havent had any problems until now though I have not done a lot of work on 2008 yet. This is the only ...

Difference between visual studio 2008 development edition and visual studio 2008 team edition?
i see some menus changed but what is the actual difference The following link has the VS product Comparison chart: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=727bcfb0-b575-47ab-9fd8-4ee067bb3a37&DisplayLang=en In short, Team Suite has tools that are in the Architectute, Database, and Test editions that the Development edition does not have....

Visual Basic.NET or Visual Studio.NET?

Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

Visual Studio 2008 +Visual Basic 2008
Hello, I am wondering if I can use Visual Studio 2008 pro to create a project in Visual Basic 2008 for PDAs...? Should it have an option to create a PDA's projects?   Yes, you can create one under New Project --> Visual basic --> Smart Device Project.  Good Luck....

Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express and Visual Basic 2008?
Please can somebody tell me whether Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express or 2005? Also does it include Visual Basic 2008 or 2005? Thank you.VWGolfman  VS2008 installs Sql Server 2005 Express by default. Also, VS2008 installs the new version of VB.Net BUT you can target older runtimes (i.e .Net 1.1, .Net 2, .Net 3) so you can argue that all VB.Net versions are "installed". Thank you Steven VWGolfman...

Visual C#.Net vs Visual Studio.Net
I have read in other posts a lot of people recommending Visual Studio.Net over the Web Matrix. My query is: why is there a £700 difference between VS.Net and Visual C#.Net? As a c# developer, I won't need any VB functionality. I also don't require Visual Source Safe, as projects are generally small and manageable. What features are lacking in Visual c#.net that justifies the price difference? Does it have Intellisense / Dubuggers / Compilers? These are the features that would make me pay for it instead of continuing with WM, but I need to know if tehre is serious functionality missin...

Web resources about - Javascript Intellisense in VS2008 - asp.net.visual-studio-2008

Microsoft Expression Web 4 - SuperPreview - Snapshot Preview - Intellisense - Modern CSS - Cross Browser ...
Microsoft Expression Web 4 gives you the tools you need to produce high-quality, standards-based Web sites.

Dynamsoft Barcode SDK now Supports JavaScript IntelliSense
This article is a company-provided press release and ProgrammableWeb cannot vouch for the accuracy of the statements within. If you have questions ...

Providing Intellisense, Navigation and more for Custom Helpers in ASP.NET MVC
... aware by now that as of ReSharper 5 we added first-class support for ASP.NET MVC. This included among many things, the ability to provide Intellisense, ...

python - django development IDE - Stack Overflow
... development tools others are using in their django development. I am used to using Visual Studio for development and really like the intellisense, ...

WinFS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
data storage and management system project based on relational databases , developed by Microsoft and first demonstrated in 2003 as an advanced ...

Gedit 3.2 GDP Completions on Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot
... GNOME’s text editor, gedit , has a plethora of extensions which can basically transform it into an IDE? Something I’ve always wanted is intellisense ...

What I Learned After 3 Weeks of Writing Mobile Apps
... development, it was the free tools for working with SQL Server that sent me over the top. Once I grabbed SQL Complete , an autocomplete/Intellisense ...

Ajay Matharu on Web, Technology and Life
Ajay Matharu on ASP.Net, .Net, Javascript, PHP, SQL, CSS, Sharepoint, Web, Technology and Life

Certificates in Windows Azure - Windows Azure Customer Advisory Team (CAT)
Windows Azure CAT Technical guidance & best practices from Windows Azure platform experts Windows Azure CAT Blog Whitepapers Meet the Team Resources ...

Christopher Bennage
It’s common for a single web page to include data from many sources. Consider this screen shot from Project Silk. There are four separate ite... ...