How do I enable ASP.Net debugging in Visual Studio 2008

I just took the plunge and began updating my asp.net application from Framework 1.1 in Visual Studio 2003 to Framework 3.5 in Visual Studio 2008. Now I'm trying to iron out everything and make my code work again using the familiar step-through debugging we're all used to in Visual Studio.

My projects are all DotNetNuke modules in the same solution.

I set my configuration to Debug. I added <compilation debug="true" /> to my web.config file.

I set my breakpoint and clicked the "Start Debugging" button, but the code never stops at the breakpoints.

I did some searching and found that I have to check the ASP.Net deguggers on the Web tab of the project properties, but I don't have a Web tab!?

Please help! Thanks, Kim

0
kturok

 Turn debugging on in Internet Explorer.

Go to tools->internet options->advanced. Make sure that “Disable Script Debugging (other)” and “Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer) are NOT checked

If you like my post mark it as ANSWER.

Regards,
Sunil

Read My Blogs
0
sunilyadav165
5/3/2009 2:39:29 AM

Thanks for the tip. Both boxes are unchecked but VS 2008 still will not stop at my breakpoints.

0
kturok
5/3/2009 12:27:29 PM

If you are using vista, run VS 2008 under adminstrator account.

My Blog

"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right."
0
budugu
5/3/2009 4:56:24 PM

I'm using XP Pro

0
kturok
5/3/2009 5:07:59 PM

try this out..

 <%@ Page Language="VB"   Debug="true"   AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Newemployee.aspx.vb" Inherits="Newemployee" title="Neelanjan" %>

0
Rangapure
5/3/2009 5:30:53 PM

No luck there, either. I think it has something to do with my project and my configuration. Like I said I am using a freshly converted VS 2003 asp.net solution in VS 2008. The project is a bunch of DotNetNuke modules that all work together.

Back when I was using VS 2003 I was set up like this:

I had an instance of dotnetnuke running in IIS. The output of each project in my solution was the bin directory of the dotnetnuke instance, but my project folder was under My Documents while the dnn instance was under inetpub/wwwroot. I could debug easily this way.

I converted my VS 2003 solution using the migration wizard in VS 2008. I am trying to use the resulting solution in the same manner I was used to in VS 2003. Even though the correct instance of dotnetnuke opens when I start debugging, the code never stops on the breakpoints.

One pecularity I have noticed is that even after the conversion wizard, all of my ascx files still use the old @control directive Codebehind="someclass.ascx.vb". As soon as I switch Codefile="someclass.ascx.vb" inherits="namespace.module.someclass" I get hundreds of compilation errors and nothing will compile. When I switch them back, everything is fine. I think I am missing something big-picture.

Thanks for all the help!

0
kturok
5/4/2009 4:33:55 AM

Sorry for all the beginner questions, but thank you again for trying to help! Big Smile

0
kturok

What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?
 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?www.buggrep.comBest error repository site on the web!! If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.I think that the older sql expr...

Installing Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 With Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 On Machine
I recently completed a successful installation of Visual Studio 2005 on my machine that had Visual Studio 2003 on it already.  I am interested in the beta of Visual Studio 2008, but I'm not sure if there will be conflicts with the previous versions.  Has anyone done this successfully?  Are there any special steps that need to happen for these three development environments to exist together?You can't stop entropy so why even try? I have installed it on my machine but havent had any problems until now though I have not done a lot of work on 2008 yet. This is the only ...

Difference between visual studio 2008 development edition and visual studio 2008 team edition?
i see some menus changed but what is the actual difference The following link has the VS product Comparison chart: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=727bcfb0-b575-47ab-9fd8-4ee067bb3a37&DisplayLang=en In short, Team Suite has tools that are in the Architectute, Database, and Test editions that the Development edition does not have....

Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

Visual Basic.NET or Visual Studio.NET?

Visual Studio 2008 +Visual Basic 2008
Hello, I am wondering if I can use Visual Studio 2008 pro to create a project in Visual Basic 2008 for PDAs...? Should it have an option to create a PDA's projects?   Yes, you can create one under New Project --> Visual basic --> Smart Device Project.  Good Luck....

Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express and Visual Basic 2008?
Please can somebody tell me whether Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express or 2005? Also does it include Visual Basic 2008 or 2005? Thank you.VWGolfman  VS2008 installs Sql Server 2005 Express by default. Also, VS2008 installs the new version of VB.Net BUT you can target older runtimes (i.e .Net 1.1, .Net 2, .Net 3) so you can argue that all VB.Net versions are "installed". Thank you Steven VWGolfman...

Visual C#.Net vs Visual Studio.Net
I have read in other posts a lot of people recommending Visual Studio.Net over the Web Matrix. My query is: why is there a £700 difference between VS.Net and Visual C#.Net? As a c# developer, I won't need any VB functionality. I also don't require Visual Source Safe, as projects are generally small and manageable. What features are lacking in Visual c#.net that justifies the price difference? Does it have Intellisense / Dubuggers / Compilers? These are the features that would make me pay for it instead of continuing with WM, but I need to know if tehre is serious functionality missin...

from Visual Studio .NET to Visual studio 2005 (VB)
Good evening, i hame one quistion about diffrenece Visual studio 2005 and older version.In Visual studio .NET to work with table from data base i do next steps:1. Create new connection to data base in data explorer2. Push my table from data explorer to my form, and master automatically create two components (SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter)3. Add to from new object - Dataset for transering data to client application (i amke a web service) and execute command from menu Data | Generate DataSet, then in Dialog box i Add this dataset to the designerThat's itThe quistion is how to do this st...

upgrading from visual studio 2005 to visual studio 2008
Hi,Im using visual studio 2005 currently and due to new features provided in visual studio 2008 want to use that. But im in fear of uninstalling visual studio 2005 tha installing visual studio 2008 . it take a lot time. Is there any upgradatio wizard so that i can upgrade my older version of visual studio with the new version i.e. with 2008. If no than please tell me every possible way and alternatives.   Please Help Me OutThanks in advance!! Hi, You shouldn't have any problem running 2005 and 2008 on one machine.  .net 3.5 is pretty much .net 2.0 with new feature...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Studio 2008
I have 2 systems. One running XP Pro SP2 + updates second Vista + Updates (and SP1 when its released) I have a copy of Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008. Should i use Visual Studio 2008 on both systems as it allows me to target different .Net platforms? or should i use XP with VS 2005 and Vista with VS 2008. My aim is to create projects for different platforms but still have the advantages of a new product and features i.e. WPF, AJAX, intellisense etc. Is there a reason why someone would want to have VS2005 running on XP rather than VS 2008. Im under the impression VS 20...

Web resources about - How do I enable ASP.Net debugging in Visual Studio 2008 - asp.net.visual-studio-2008

Debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the shell command, see debug (command) . For the German magazine, see Debug (magazine) . For the 2014 film, see Debug (film) . Debugging ...

Debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the shell command, see debug (command) . For the German magazine, see Debug (magazine) . For the 2014 film, see Debug (film) . Debugging ...

The Remote Agent Experiment: Debugging Code from 60 Million Miles Away - YouTube
Google Tech Talk February 14, 2012 Presented by Ron Garret. ABSTRACT The Remote Agent Experiment: Debugging Code from 60 Million Miles Away The ...

Taking the pain out of debugging with live programming
"Everyone knows that debugging is twice as hard as writing a program in the first place," Brian Kernighan once wrote (adding: "So if you're as ...

Microsoft acquires software for debugging Unity games
... Visual Studio's capabilities for game builders, Microsoft is acquiring SyntaxTree, creator of a widely used Visual Studio plug-in for debugging ...

Agile Learning, Debugging and Mikado Method in Methods & Tools Fall 2013 issue
Methods & Tools – the free e-magazine for software developers, testers and project managers – has just published its Fall 2013 issue with the ...

Apple releases Xcode 7.1.1 w/ fixes for critical Interface builder, debugging, and UI testing issues
... of the app, making for an improved developer experience. Apple also says the update fixes “critical issues” in the Interface Builder, debugging, ...

Chrome Beta for Android brings debugging tools to mobile web developers
YouTube link for mobile viewing Chrome Beta for Android brings a lot of cool features for users like you and me, but it also has a handy one ...