Help Needed Getting Started

I'm new to .NET Web Development and have downloaded and installed Visual Web Developer Studio 2008 Express. I followed the simple steps in "Create Your First Web Site" on the Start Page. However, I get the following error:

Server Error in '/WebSite2' Application.

Unable to cast object of type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection' to type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection'.

Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection' to type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection'.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection' to type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection'.]
   System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection.UnsafeGetSection() +53
   System.ServiceModel.HostingManager.LoadConfigParameters() +40
   System.ServiceModel.HostingManager..ctor() +111
   System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.EnsureInitialized() +161
   System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.OnEnsureInitialized(Object state) +4
   System.ServiceModel.PartialTrustHelpers.PartialTrustInvoke(ContextCallback callback, Object state) +52
   System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.SafeEnsureInitialized() +73
   System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpModule.ProcessRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +60
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

I then created a new Website and made absolutely no changes - just did a <CTRL> F5 and got exactly the same error.

Any and all help appreciated.

0
dfullbrook

You can have a look at this for similar error

System Invalid cast exceptions

Hope that helps Yes

Techie (.Net Knowledge at its Best)

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
::: Winston Churchill :::
0
PassHours
3/6/2009 5:05:57 AM

I looked at the post you suggested but it wasn't relevant. Remember, I have loaded Visual Studio Web Developer "out of the box", and then clicked Create New Web Site. I didn't add any code, just ran it. I also tried re-installing but it made no difference.

0
dfullbrook

I need help in Visual Studio 2008
I have a small problem, I hope some of you might have encountered earlier and fixed. I have instrumented the firefox browser using MSVC9 2008 Teamserver edition and generated code coverage data. The data would be generated in the form native to visual studio team server edition IDE. It is called as <filename>.coverage. I can open the file in Visual Studio IDE and see all the coverage data details. But , in-order to expose the data to the world, I need to export the coverage file to XML/HTML. So, this is the sample code in C# that does the job. using System; using System.C...

What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?
 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?www.buggrep.comBest error repository site on the web!! If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.I think that the older sql expr...

How to get started with ajax in visual studio 2008
Hi, I am new to ajax. i would like to know how to get started with ajax enabled web applications in visual studio 2008. If anyone could refer me a good article or tutorial on making ajax enabled web applications or web sites in visual studio 2008 would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Faisal Shahzad Check out all of these video tutorials:http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/ Or if you like articles:http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax/ Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

Need Help Managing References in Visual Studio 2008
Hello, I just upgraded from VS.NET 2003 to VS 2008.  I am having trouble managing references in web projects. With regard to class libraries, a button is provided to show all files, which causes a navigation tree for references to be displayed.  From here I can set properties of references, such as Copy Local, etc. Web projects do not provide the Show All Files button, and no navigation tree for references is displayed.  After converting my VS.NET 2003 solution to VS 2008, one of my web projects in the solution has references to two compiled .NET class libraries (.NET DLL&#...

Need help with IIS and Microsoft Visual Studio .net
Hello every one, well, basically i am bad at English but ill try to explain i have a website made by VB.net 2005 , with Visual Studio 2005 and Database SQL used Microsoft SQL Server, i had copied the Database and the page's to my PC , but i dont know how to set it up working again . i installed the Microsoft SQL Server on my PC and i attached the Database of the website into it here is a picture : http://img355.imageshack.us/my.php?image=attachdbtq0.png i installed IIS on my computer and i added virtual directory and located it on the place where the pages is but whe...

I need help with Visual Studio .NET Beta 2.
I am using Visual Studio .NET Beta 2, because this is the only version I could get. I installed it. Had some problems with starting it. I was getting a message like this: "Visual studio was installed under another user". I found out that the way to go around it is to delete the key from registery. After that it starts and I can create procjects and everything, but I can't compile asp.net pages and can't view web.config or global.asax. The error I get is: Resource transformation failed for file : WebForm1.aspx.resx. File or assembly name System.Windows.Forms, or one o...

(Need to help) Error while install Visual Studio.net
Hello,  While I install VS 2005, often show the error code is: 2349. Can't install the program. Also, I unstall the program and try again some times. But can't settled the problem. Why the happen? Have somebody help me to solve the problem? Thanks for your help. Best regards. (System: Windows XP SP2) Have a look into this page http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372835.aspxAshok Rajawww.iGold.inDon't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved. Hi Check out t...

Need help with crystal reports for .NET 2003 Visual Studio
Hi,  My situation is this: I have a .NET 1.1.4 website on a windows 2003 server working fine and running crystal reports for .NET 1.1.4I have migrated this website over to a new server Windows 2003, which has .NET Framework 1.1.4 installed, etc. Don't have access to Visual Studio 2003. After many hours of trying experiments, reading forums, etc and following suggestions: I have the site up and running but when I try to run a report get the following error: F: Error in File C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\temp_56ec7ae5-4d64-4fd6-9172-1ac155e3e75b.rpt: Failed to load database information.I instal...

Really need help with disabled web forms in visual studio.net 2003
Hi, I've posted in the ASP.NET forum as someone suggested, but I got no response and am still unable to use the software. In Visual Studio .NET 2003, with .NET Framework 1.1, all web form controls (in fact all controls in the toolbar) are disabled. I create a webform.aspx page, I AM in design view, but when I go to the "web forms" toolbar, I cannot drag anything to the page because all the controls are disabled (the toolbar is visible, just everything within it is disabled). I solved this last time by completely wiping my drive and spending three days reinstalling and updating everythin...

Alone in the office i need help whit this CSK For Visual Studio VB.net
Sorry i am working at event page and i  not really undestand how work the architecture of this piece of software..someone can explain how i add asp.net controls working, sending value at the stored procedure??Really fast i need THANKS Luigi Download this sophisticated web application for freehttp://www.codeplex.com/luigicorrias Luiqi hi! There are a number of ways to do it. a) 1. add web control to event control skin (Events_AddEvent.ascx, Events_PastEvents.ascx, Events_EventSection.ascx or Events_EventSection.ascx). You can find these controls in the Com...

Do i need to develop on the exchange server(to get exchange data) using visual studio .net???
Hopefully someone can answer this, i can't find the answer anywhere. I am creating an asp.net application where i want to get info from the exchange store using CDOEX and ADO....right now, i am working on my computer which has Windows 2000 prof. with Visual Studio .NET., so far i am not able to get any info from exchange store. Do i need to be running the exchange server on the same machine where i am running Visual Studio .net?????? Anyways(more info), i tried downloading the Exchange 2000 SDK, but in order to install it I need to be running an exchange server on my machine. So i en...

Installing Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 With Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 On Machine
I recently completed a successful installation of Visual Studio 2005 on my machine that had Visual Studio 2003 on it already.  I am interested in the beta of Visual Studio 2008, but I'm not sure if there will be conflicts with the previous versions.  Has anyone done this successfully?  Are there any special steps that need to happen for these three development environments to exist together?You can't stop entropy so why even try? I have installed it on my machine but havent had any problems until now though I have not done a lot of work on 2008 yet. This is the only ...

Web resources about - Help Needed Getting Started - asp.net.visual-studio-2008

Is The Virginia GOP Trying To Sabotage Donald Trump’s Shot At A Primary Victory?
While it is widely held that politics makes for “strange bedfellows,” in the present election cycle, politics also seems to breed some rather ...

Weekend Box Office: ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Dominates, ‘Daddy’s Home’ Does Well
There should be no surprise that in its second weekend, Star Wars: The Force Awakens dominated the weekend box office once again. What may surprise ...

BALCO founder Victor Conte slams Al Jazeera PED report
USA TODAY BALCO founder Victor Conte slams Al Jazeera PED report USA TODAY Victor Conte, who was at the center of one of the biggest sports ...

New Two-Child Policy Officially Passes In China: Human Rights Groups Say It Isn’t Enough
After announcing a new two-child policy in China in October, the change in legislation has now been formally approved and will go into effect ...

After Chicago police 'accidentally' kill grandmother, mayor demands reform
CNN After Chicago police 'accidentally' kill grandmother, mayor demands reform CNN (CNN) Two more shooting deaths by Chicago police are prompting ...

Iraq forces retake Ramadi compound from ISIS
Philly.com Iraq forces retake Ramadi compound from ISIS Philly.com Iraqi security forces enter downtown Ramadi, where the government complex ...

11 Dead In Texas Storms That Spawned Tornadoes
Huffington Post 11 Dead In Texas Storms That Spawned Tornadoes Huffington Post Days of tumultuous weather have led to 43 deaths overall across ...

Man Arrested on Suspicion of Burning Woman to Death
California man arrested on suspicion of pouring gas on woman, burning her to death

Flip out: Patriots kick to start OT, Jets win it 26-20
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — Brandon Marshall was already rooting on the New York Jets' defense when New England won the overtime coin toss. ...

South Korea, Japan Reach Deal On Women Forced Into Sexual Slavery
Huffington Post South Korea, Japan Reach Deal On Women Forced Into Sexual Slavery Huffington Post The deal included an apology from Japanese ...