Connect SQL Server 2005 Developer to Visual Studio 2008

 I am at witts end here on this one.  How do you connect SQL Server 2005 Developer edition to Visual Studio 2008?  I installed SQL Server 2005 Dev. first.  My named instance is 'SQLEXPRESS' because some of the config files point to this.

Then I installed Visual Studio 2008.  During the installation I selected 'Custom' and did NOT install SQL Server 2005 Express.

 Following these installs I ran a Windows Update and installed SQL Server SP3 and Visual Studio SP1.  My development machine is running Windows Vista.

Going into 'Visual Studio > Tools > Options > Database Tools>Data Connections' I have the SQL Server Instance Name set to 'SQLEXPRESS'

Going to 'Visual Studio > Tools > Options > Database Tools> Design-tim Validation Database' I have the SQL Server Instance name set to 'SQLEXPRESS'

My SQL Server 2005 Dev. configuration is that the server is running under the 'LocalSystem' account and using the 'Surface Area Configuration Tool' I allowed remote connections using Named Pipes and TCP/IP.

Using  'SQL Server Configuration Manager' I enabled TCP/IP and 'Named Pipes' under the Protocols.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!?   I'm dying here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

0
nickgerne

If you created a named instance then connecting to it would be computer_name/SQLEXPRESS or ./SQLEXPRESS

As an FYI you probably should not have created a named instance unless your are going to install multiple versions (or instances) of SQL Server.

- William

Give some of my PWSK modules a try.
0
whighfield
4/30/2009 3:16:21 AM

 no dice.  I've just given up.  I have done just about everything I can think of.  Thanks for your help though.

I just broke down and installed SQL Server Express and then I am going to attach the DB in SQL Server to do the other stuff.

0
nickgerne

Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express and Visual Basic 2008?
Please can somebody tell me whether Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express or 2005? Also does it include Visual Basic 2008 or 2005? Thank you.VWGolfman  VS2008 installs Sql Server 2005 Express by default. Also, VS2008 installs the new version of VB.Net BUT you can target older runtimes (i.e .Net 1.1, .Net 2, .Net 3) so you can argue that all VB.Net versions are "installed". Thank you Steven VWGolfman...

Installing Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 With Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 On Machine
I recently completed a successful installation of Visual Studio 2005 on my machine that had Visual Studio 2003 on it already.  I am interested in the beta of Visual Studio 2008, but I'm not sure if there will be conflicts with the previous versions.  Has anyone done this successfully?  Are there any special steps that need to happen for these three development environments to exist together?You can't stop entropy so why even try? I have installed it on my machine but havent had any problems until now though I have not done a lot of work on 2008 yet. This is the only ...

Difference between visual studio 2008 development edition and visual studio 2008 team edition?
i see some menus changed but what is the actual difference The following link has the VS product Comparison chart: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=727bcfb0-b575-47ab-9fd8-4ee067bb3a37&DisplayLang=en In short, Team Suite has tools that are in the Architectute, Database, and Test editions that the Development edition does not have....

The connection sql server 2008 and microsoft visual the studio 2008
I want to make connection between sql server 2008 and microsoft visual studio 2008, but I have a problem, the problem is "The server version is not supported. Only servers up to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 are supported" and then my question are 1. How steps to make connection between sql server 2008 and microsoft visual studio 2008 2. The example source code to insert, update, delete in microsoft visual studio 2008 with database sql server 2008 Thank you... Click on the Learn link in the menu at the top of this page.  Follow the Data Access tutorials. JeffPlease: Do...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

Windows Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Launched!
Largest enterprise launch in company history includes Windows Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008; focuses on security, Web, virtualization and better business intelligence. LOS ANGELES - Feb. 27, 2008 - Kicking off more than 225 events around the world and joined by more than 4,000 customers and partners, Microsoft Corp.'s Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer today showcased the next generation of infrastructure and application platform products, including Windows Server 2008, Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008....

problem connecting from Visual Studio 2008 to SQL Server 2005
Hi Everybody,  I just copied the whole solution from my friend's computer to start working on a project and I also setup the database accordingly. But when I run the project I get the following error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 When I create a separate project and try to access the same data using a dataadapter, It is accessed without any p...

upgrading from visual studio 2005 to visual studio 2008
Hi,Im using visual studio 2005 currently and due to new features provided in visual studio 2008 want to use that. But im in fear of uninstalling visual studio 2005 tha installing visual studio 2008 . it take a lot time. Is there any upgradatio wizard so that i can upgrade my older version of visual studio with the new version i.e. with 2008. If no than please tell me every possible way and alternatives.   Please Help Me OutThanks in advance!! Hi, You shouldn't have any problem running 2005 and 2008 on one machine.  .net 3.5 is pretty much .net 2.0 with new feature...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Studio 2008
I have 2 systems. One running XP Pro SP2 + updates second Vista + Updates (and SP1 when its released) I have a copy of Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008. Should i use Visual Studio 2008 on both systems as it allows me to target different .Net platforms? or should i use XP with VS 2005 and Vista with VS 2008. My aim is to create projects for different platforms but still have the advantages of a new product and features i.e. WPF, AJAX, intellisense etc. Is there a reason why someone would want to have VS2005 running on XP rather than VS 2008. Im under the impression VS 20...

Visual Studio 2008 and SQL-Server 2008
I tried to add a database file to an exsiting Website project. i get this error."connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly."Installed products are Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit Visual Studio 2008 SP1SQL-Server 2008 DeveloperHowever creating a data connection to a database attached with the server is not a problem.Is there a workaround to this issue?__________________________________________Thomas Wrobelwaslos.de You may open your Machine.Config file (the file is in %SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\ver. number\C...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Error connection string to SQL Server Express 2005
I am following the learning ASP.NET 3.5 by O'REILLY to write some ASP.NET 3.5 code using Visual Studio 2008 SP1. I have gotten to the point to where I need to Configure a Data Source using the SqlDataSource control. I chose Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) even though I have SQL Server Express 2005 - This seems like the only logical choice. I get to the Add Connection window and successfully add a Server name and I use the Select or enter a database name of AdventureWorks. When I click on Test Connection I get the Test Connection Succeeded message box. Unfortunately, when I click OK I...

connecting to a ms sql server database with visual studio web developer express 2008
how do I let users who visit my site update the database using visual studio web developer express edition 2008. so i want to add a coments page for example where users enter their name email, comments in textboxes. And then this is updtated in the sql server database. also how does one get the isp number to also be updated in the database. So basically users must be able to add new records to the database First create a connection object to your database Then create dataAdapter In the dataAdapter specify your Sql statement and lastly execute the statement All of these steps are a litt...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Studio 2008 #2
Are there any known issues with decimal rounding in VS 2008.  I have developed a timesheet app that calculates hours based on start and stop times.  It works fine when I use debugger in VS 2005 and a local host.  My boss uses VS 2008 to publish my app.  When he publishes it, my calculations are not rounding properly.  Example:  Someone clocks in at 11:30pm and clocks out at 11:59pm,  in debug mode on my localhost, it rounds it to .5 hours.  When this code gets published, it rounds it to 0 hours.  Thanks  Considering that both the VS 2005...

Convert Visual Studio 2008 code to Visual Studio 2005
 I had created my website in  in Visual Studio 2008 in our college, but now I want to run this website at my home,but problem is I have Visual Studio 2005 at my home, so please tell me how can I run this website on Visual Studio 2005.Is there any conversion tool available.Thanks a lot in advance There is no backward conversion tool that I know of. If you are using a web site project (not a web application project), just create a new web site project in VS2005 and point it at a copy of the code.If it is a web application project, you'll have to create a new project and then us...

Web resources about - Connect SQL Server 2005 Developer to Visual Studio 2008 - asp.net.visual-studio-2008

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Pixel (game developer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amaya's other work includes the game Ikachan which he released in 2000, as well as many other low-profile games. He is currently developing a ...

Nylex site developer's previous work under investigation by building authority
The developer behind a proposed $1 billion redevelopment of Richmond's Nylex site is under investigation by the state building authority for ...

AppFigures now lets developers easily share favorite App Store reviews, Parse SDK adds tvOS and watchOS ...
There are a few new goodies for iOS developers shipping during the holiday season. Over the weekend, app analytics firm AppFigures released a ...

An app developer says Microsoft didn't pay it for 5 months — until the company complained on Twitter
The developer of Fhotoroom, a Windows-only photo editing app, complained on Twitter that Microsoft failed to pay the company over five months. ...

Data is everything, now learn to master it as a developer [Deals]
Understanding and working with data is key to how organizations large and small make and measure their impact. Mastering data can give you new ...

Nintendo rejected this Super Mario Bros. 3 PC pitch by Doom developer id
John Romero of id Software fame just released this video of a Super Mario Bros. 3 PC port John Carmack and John Romero made to show Nintendo ...

Digitimes Research: MR device makers receiving more support from developers, investors
... mixed reality (MR) device makers including Sulon Technologies, Osterhout Design Group (ODG) and Magic Leap have attracted more software developers ...

Developer diversity changes the way video games are made
In 2003, BioWare developers working on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic hid a fact about one of the game's characters from their own marketing ...

Forbes Career Opportunity: Web Developer, Ad Product
The Forbes Advertising Product Team is looking for a Web Developer to join their team! This person will help the team develop web-based solutions, ...