Web Site vs. Web App

I've been reading a lot of the posts with everyone on the web site projects vs. web application projects.  What concerns me is why did MS put this web site option in?  What really concerns me is if the development community doesn't like it, why should I consider using that option if no one will use it and MS might eventually drop it as an option?  It has to be there for a reason and what I'm interested in is what that reason is...if anyone can add into that.
0
razorphreak

Hi Razor,

Some people love the web site option and others prefer the web application option.  It really comes down to personal preference and development style.

We will fully support both going forward -- so either is a safe bet.

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu
3/24/2006 2:10:56 AM

Scott, I need your help to make the ASP.Net Web Application template shows up on my VS 2005 student version. Razor mention that he can access both Web site and web application. Why I can not access ASP.Net Web Application from VS 2005 student version? VS 2003 has the feature.

Thank you.

Luk

0
luklee
3/25/2006 1:52:39 AM

Hi Scott,

I download the beta 2 and now the ASP.Net Web Application template shows up in file/new/project route. But when I try to enter the url location which my professor gave us. the "OK" button turns gray - disabled. I am not able enter the http://146.186..../ftproot/.... location that my professor set aside for us. Can you help me solve this problm.

Thank you.

Luk.

0
luklee

web app vs web site vs web project
Could someone describe the differences between web sites, web apps and web projects? (or send me a link that contains this comparison?). Is one of these terms synonomous with another? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?  How does one choose when starting new development? Can one type be converted into another?     Thank you. Here is my definition: Website: perspective of users. Collection of web pages.Webapp and project: perspective of developer (and webmasters). Collection of web pages and resouces (database, code, etc.). Maybe software installers...

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

Visual Studio 2005 Vs Visual Web Developer 2005
 Hi,I am thinking of getting my hands dirty on .NET programming, I have been exclusively doing web development using Coldfusion until now, thinking of learning .Net as I see more promising career in .NET in my area.Please bear with me, my question is very basic, I have being using eclipse until now, and have been spoiled by its flexibilityOk, I bought a book, I want to try some coding, so now I am stuck with choosing an IDE. My understanding is that the express edition for visual studio has 3 IDEs (C#, VB.NET, Web Developer), but the actual visual studio that one has to pay for is just ...

Deploying VS.NET 2005 Crystal on a Web Server for Web App
Can someone confirm when/where the Crystal for VS.NET 2005 Merge Modules will be available?Secondarily.. I am wanting to deploy to a web server and with VS.NET 2003 v (and VS.NET 2002 version), I had to use the merge modules to be able to enter in our product key otherwise we had licensing issues.I just read a post that seemed to imply that this may not be needed with VS.NET 2005 version.. is that so?I am able to create a installation package by choosing Crystal as a prerequisite in the VS.NET 2005 setup project, but that seems more like the thing we would do if we were shipping out a WinFor...

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express VS Visual Studio 2005
Hi all - name of this thread says it all. What's the difference between the free app (that i've decided that I should be using over Dreamweaver) on the asp.net website, and the full, paid-up Visual Studio 2005? I realise VS2005 allows the coding of applications and completely web-unrelated things, but what does it do in the 'web world' that VWD2005 Express doesn't? Thanks!Ramic Solutions Hi all - you can ignore this thread - discovered the search button :-)Ramic Solutions...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between  Visual Studio.NET 2005 and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition from an ASP.NET(VB) developer point of view?Thank you! For starters, Visual Web Developer Express includes only the portions of Visual Studio that pertain directly to creating Web sites. For example, you can't create Windows Forms projects or class library projects, etc. The rule of thumb there is that in Visual Studio you can create multi-project solutions, whereas in Visual Web Developer Express you can create only Web site projects. Within the ...

how to package VS Web Site App to be published as a Project web site on a production web server in a sub folder of the main website
Hi, I created a VS2k5 Website and used the web site using the small business starter kit as a model.  I published the website to a folder and runs fine.  I decided to copy the website to a folder within another website so when you click on a link it will open up the website start page.  That does not work.  My problem is that I need to publish the website as a project that includes all the tools I used so it can be uploaded to a subfolder into the website and the main webdb page will open.  Is their a way for me to deploy the website a a project? I am open ...

Migrating from VS 2005 Web Site Projects to VS 2005 Web Application Projects witn vb and c# code
I've tring to migrate Web Site to Web Aplication in VS 2005. In my Web Site I have pages written using VB and C#. During converting to WA i choose VB and only pages with VB code i can migrate. If I choose C# as language for WA only pages with C# I can migrate. Is a way to migrate Web Site with mix of VB and C# code? Wieslaw Hi, As far as I know, The ASP.NET Web application doesn't support that C# application project contains VB page or VB application project contains C# page. But it can compile the different language class file in project. In your case, you can tr...

New Project vs. New Web Site (Visual Studio 2005 Pro)
I've noticed that if use choose New Project on the File menu to create an asp.net page it won't run, but if you create the same thing by clicking on New Web Site it works ok. What differences are there other than one works and one doesn't? New project is usualy for windows form, so I'm not sure what you mean by making an asp.net page using new project... They don't get compiled the same way by default....

Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005
 Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005 What are the main benefits of using a Web App project over a Website project or vice-versa? Web App Project: You have to jump through hoops to use edit and continue with a Web App where in a website it just works. I’ve figured this out with the help of ScottGu. Thanks! http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/VS-2005-Web-Application-Project-V1.0-Released.aspx Web App Project: what are the *.aspx.designer.cs files for? Website Project: how do you set up the project to use a ...

Web resources about - Web Site vs. Web App - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

John Moltz's Very Nice Web Site
John Moltz's Very Nice Website

File:Map of World Heritage Sites in the Americas.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This work, previously under Public Domain, or a Free License has been digitally enhanced, I the creator of this work, hereby grant the permission ...

Site Maintenance
TOmmy has finished on his end, and now Alain and I are working on a few things. We’re getting rid of the default image and kaiboshing the most ...

Some of SoundCloud's most loyal users are starting to lose faith in the site
... is happy. Business Insider has spoken to multiple users and independent record label owners who feel that the music streaming app and website ...

New York State Adds Yahoo To Inquiry Into Daily Fantasy Sports Sites
... that the New York Attorney General’s Office issued a subpoena to Yahoo related to the ongoing investigation into other online fantasy sites ...

GOP lawmaker calls on FCC to ban social media, other sites
In the wake of the Paris attacks, Representative Jim Barton (R-TX) has proposed "Doing something" about terrorists' use of social media but the ...

Shares of dating site Match.com jump in market debut
Shares of dating site Match.com jump in market debut

Minneapolis police clear protesters' camp site as tensions rise over man's shooting
Minneapolis police clear protesters' camp site as tensions rise over man's shooting

New site wants to be the AMA forum for professionals seeking career advice
Reddit AMAs with bigwigs and celebrities can certainly be entertaining, but what if there was a site that hosted AMAs and connected you with ...

Web Trumps Pits Site Against Site in a Card Game That Doesn't Need Internet Access
Based on a popular card game called Top Trumps created back in 1968, Web Trumps pits popular websites against each other in a card game that ...