VS2005 - Why Website Deployment Project Not Website Project?

I have brought a second programmer onto my website development team - both work remotely.

The first programmer has been working on the project in VS2005 for nearly 2 years and has passed a copy of the source code to the second programmer and advised that it will only Build properly (ie without errors) if put together as a website project as opposed to a web application.

The second programmer is also using VS2005 and has reported that Visual Studio doesn't give him the option of a website project template only web application or website deployment project. So he is using the website deployment option but reports that VS2005 does not allow him to Publish this type of project only build it.

Why would VS2005 not offer the option of a website project and why is the option to Build/Publish missing for the second programmer?

I would really appreciate some advice here - it is so frustrating.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris

0
cbjroms123

 Because programmer #2 is doing this:

File | New Project

Visual C# (or vb) / Web (omg where is website project)

When he/she should have done this:

File | New Web Site

It's similarly different when adding a project to a solution via the solution explorer. RIght click the solution, Add > New Project (NO), Right click the solution, Add > New Web Site (or existing website).

"Websites" are just a folder and don't have a project file.

I havent got VS 2005 but i'm pretty it's the same (i'm 2008). "WebSites" are created via a complete seperate process for all other types of projects, because they don't have a project file.

-- Sam Critchley

"Wise man say 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." - TMNT

shivam.com.au
0
worldspawn

Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005
 Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005 What are the main benefits of using a Web App project over a Website project or vice-versa? Web App Project: You have to jump through hoops to use edit and continue with a Web App where in a website it just works. I’ve figured this out with the help of ScottGu. Thanks! http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/VS-2005-Web-Application-Project-V1.0-Released.aspx Web App Project: what are the *.aspx.designer.cs files for? Website Project: how do you set up the project to use a ...

Why does the .sln file of a website project get saved in 'Visual Studio 2005\Projects'
Hi all,i have a bit of a problem. I am using SourceSafe within our dev team, and I want to create a website project which will also have another project, so essentially I will end up with a solution that contains two projects. My question is, why does VS insist on placing the .sln (Solution) file in the 'Visual Studio 2005\Projects' directory, which is not in the directory I created the project and is not even in my SourceSafe tree? If I was to check in the newly created project, and then some gets it from SourceSafe, then how is someone going to open the solution that I created whic...

Solution/Project/Website | Visual Studio 2005
 First, thanks so much everyone for you willingness to help out those of who are getting started in .NET programming. I'm trying to get my new website setup correctly in Visual Studio 2005 and I was needing some advice.The Details: Production Server = one virtual directory that will contain our domain.There will be sub directories off of the root that will represent various departments within our organization. These are just folders that will use Membership/Roles. For Design Time, what would be the best way to set this up?One Solution/Website with each businessline in...

Missing website menu from Visual Studio 2005 Project
I converted a VS2003 project to a VS2005 project. I now have a website project but the menu has a Project Menu and not the Website Menu that I was expecting. Because of this I cannot find the Copy Web Site feature. How can I change this?   Thanks. If you are at VS2005 there should be a Website menu on it.. Regards,Vinz"Code, Beer and Music" that's my way of being a programmer!How to get your Forum Question Answered | Blog | CodeASP.NET Thanks for the response, but no, the WebSite menu isn't there and I am definately on VS2005 no question about it. Maybe yo...

Is it possible to use Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 interchangeably on a website project?
I'm working on a project with a developer using VS 05, but I'm using VS 08.  Is there any problem with using both these programs to work on the site?  Thanks!Gregwww.FoothillsData.comData Driven Web Solutions In .Net That should be fine. Since you are using VS2008, when prompted to convert the project to VS2008, just click cancel.My Bloghttp://Lspence.blogspot.com(Please MARK this post as ANSWERED, if you find it helpful) No there will be no problem.Unless you upgrade the framework.[Or use any feature/class/function added in .net framework 2.0 sp1]Kamran ShahidSr. Soft...

Combining a base website project and custom website project
Is it possible to have a solution file with two web projects, one "default" website and the other is a custom (web) project? What I want to achieve is to have several solution files with always the default web project included, and each solution has its own custom web project with let's say: a different search page in each project. But when I run the solution it should somehow include these custom pages into the default project without breaking it for the other solutions. Thanks in advance What have you tried to do?Using multiple web sites/applications for this is probably...

How to deploy .net project via 'copy project' in Visual Studio from your local machine to your web development server
Hi ,My IT Director has resigned and I am stuck in the middle of doing his all tasks. For safety reason we removed all functionalities from the developers to deploy any project and only given to IT director. He refuse to help me as he is having problem with the management. I have got a video tutorial for deplying project but not very helpful.Would any body kindly describe the steps required to setup a .net project or any tutorial can be recommended. I have setup website in IIS and pressing 'Copy Project' button in visual studio .net. The dialog box comes and ask me destination project folder ...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

In Visual Studio 2005 whats difference between "new Project" and "new website".
In Visual Studio 2005 whats difference between "new Project" and "new website".  Is new project for non web realted stuff.   Hi Parms,New Project enables you to add projects to your solution for non-web related projects -- for example: windows applications, class libraries, etc.  New Website adds a project specific to web UI developmnet.Hope this helps,Scott Hi Scott --On a related subject: I've got a VS 2003 solution with three web apps. The third web app is really just a library of classes that are shared between the other two web apps.app_1: a real web app (references ...

Visual Studio 2005 Install Problem
Hi all, I have just rebuilt my XP machine and installed Visual Studio 2005. When trying to open previously created projects I get the following error message: The application for project <project> is not installed. Make sure the application for the project type () is installed. At this point I did some reading and googling and discovered that 'Web Application Projects' is not included in the base Visual Studio 2005 package. I installed Service Pack 1 (SP1) expecting this to fix the problem, however I still received the same error message when trying to open the application. ...

Create Website / Open Website in Visual Studio 2005
My previous installation of visual studio.net 2005 had create and open website in the recent Projects section.  Right now all that is there is create and open project.  Is there a way i can get this back on there.  Thanks for you help in advance.Joshua Folkerts What do you mean previous installation?   Have you installed Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1?  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=BB4A75AB-E2D4-4C96-B39D-37BAF6B5B1DC&displaylang=enIf an answer has been provided to you question please mark it as an answer. By previous inst...

Signing and Versioning on a Website project with a Web Deployment Project
We recently had our Web Application tested through VeriTest for the Platform Test for ISV Solutions.  We passed everything except for the two following items: ·         Did the application binaries have valid file version information?·         Were all executables installed by the application signed? I had posted a previous question in this forum about how to accomplish these things with a Website project and not a Web Application. The suggestion that I decided to go with was to use the Web Deployment...

Visual Studio 2005 Deployment project
1) I added a web deployment project to my solution by right-clicking on my web project. 2) I then added a separate Setup and Deployment project to my solution and added the assembly from the above step which brought in all the dependencies, etc. 3) I then modified the Installation URL property by right-clicking on the project in step 2 above. 4) I compiled this project which created an MSI file. I then recompiled the whole solution. 5) When running the MSI file, during the second step (Select Installation Address), it does not allow me to change the Site (where to publish the site to) p...

Web resources about - VS2005 - Why Website Deployment Project Not Website Project? - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

Quality function deployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... developed QFD in Japan in 1966, when the author combined his work in quality assurance and quality control points with function deployment used ...

Second Facebook Building In Luleå, Sweden, To Test New Rapid Deployment Data Center Concept
... at Facebook’s data center in Luleå, Sweden , will be the first of the social network’s data centers to be built using its new rapid deployment ...

Massive Growth in SMTP STARTTLS Deployment
When we posted in May about the state of STARTTLS deployment, we had no idea that we would see such significant changes to email encryption across ...

Deployment Manager (@redgateDeploy) on Twitter

Children welcome Georgia National Guardsmen home from deployment to Afghanistan - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
In this photo taken on March 9, 2010 photo, Blake Cochran, left, 7, Brooke Cochran, center, 6, and Bailee Cochran, 3, welcome home Georgia's ...

CICADA Autonomous Deployment Demonstration - YouTube
The Naval Research Laboratory Vehicle Research Section has successfully completed flight tests for the Autonomous Deployment Demonstration program. ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

Canberra teen pens experience of Defence deployment through child's eyes in Soon
&quot;When you're as young as [seven] 13 months is ages: that's a Christmas and a birthday and an Easter and a whole family's worth of things ...

Iraq deployment decision in days: Bishop
The national security committee and federal cabinet will meet this week to decide on Australia's deployment to Iraq.

Full fibre NBN deployment costs artificially inflated: NBN Co critic
The cost of rolling out a fibre-to-the-premises NBN may not be as high as that posited by the Coalition government, according to University of ...