Visual studio 2005 not entering in to debug mode although i set debug="true"

Hi,

i have a peculiar problem with vs.net 2005. when i press F5 and run the application, my webpage is displayed in the browser but visual studio doesn't entering into debug mode and still the pause and end buttons on the tool bar shows disabled which means my application is not running. till yesterday it was working fine. i checked the web.config file and the debug mode is set to "true" ..debug="true".

my operating system config.
xp  with sp2
vs2005 with sp1
recently i installed .net framework 3.5 on my computer.

Please help me. i am stuck with it.

Click “Mark as Answer” on the post(s) that helped you.
0
jagan

Was it working fine earlier??

I may not suggest the exact solution. But I can suggest a temporary solution by which you can debug.

In VS go to debug >> Attach process >> Select the process related to your application (Ex: DevServer:portnumber)

After attaching this process the breakpoint gets hit.

0
mcr_subbu
9/24/2008 8:40:00 AM

Thanks mcr_subbu for your quick response but unfortunately that doesnt worked for me..

earlier (till yesterday)  it was working fine. mean while i have done the following and it worked fine for some time.

I selected the repair option from the .net 2.0 (maintenance mode) installing file from the following default vs path C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 .

after 2 to 3 hours, again the same problem. vs is not entering into debug mode.

its really killing me. What should i do..Plz help me.

Click “Mark as Answer” on the post(s) that helped you.
0
jagan

Did we install some third party Add-ins in your machine? If we disable Add-ins (“Tools” | “Add-in Manager”) and run “devenv.exe /safemode”, do we still have the problem? This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems.

We also can try to run devenv /resetsettings (Commonly, it makes sense than re-installation) or devenv /setup in Visual Studio Command Prompt.

If this cannot help you, you can try to remove the Visual Studio 2005 and install it. Please following How to remove Visual Studio 2005( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907965) if you uninstall Visual Studio.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
9/29/2008 2:09:38 AM

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your response..

I tried all the above things but none of them worked for me. i re-installed VS2005 by following the steps in the above provided url. but it did not solved my problem.

Recently i installed VS2008 and i could able to debug my project in that. interestingly i can debug in VS2005 only for the first time i.e, when i re-installed the 2.0 framework. then later on its giving me the same problem when i try to debug it again. for some reason i should not use VS2008 although it supports VS2005 projects.

 is it due to the VS2008 or 3.0 and 3.5 frameworks? my guess is there is some conflicts between 2.0, 3.0 and  3.5 frameworks.