Visual studio 2005 express vs Visual studio 2005 standard or pro

Hi all

Im not sure if you will be able to answer my question. Im using express version of visual basic, which has a particular pain in the you no where limitation. I cannot through the database explorer connect to a remote sql express 2005. I no this is a limitation. I have looked at the option of buying Visual studio however I only need the VB module. From what I see you have to buy the whole version, which contains C#, JSP and more. I do not need them. I do not see the point of paying for all the modules but I only use VB.

 Questions

Can you buy them seperately.

Is there another workaround to communicate with a remote sql 2005 express without using database explorer.

wstevens

You can use remote server in code behind. I use it all the time. Just that I don't get the explorer.

Thanks,
Max
Let Me Google That For You!
0
bullpit
6/1/2007 5:10:07 PM

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have some example code for me to view

Regards

 Warren

0
wstevens
6/1/2007 5:53:50 PM

This is one of the functions I use in one my websites.

 private DataSet GetSalesDataFull()
  {
     DataSet ds = new DataSet();
     string sqlSalesData = @"SELECT * FROM Customers";
     SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection("Data Source=<SERVER_NAME>;Initial Catalog=<DATABASE_NAME>;Integrated Security=True");
     SqlCommand command = new SqlCommand(sqlSalesData, connection);
     SqlDataAdapter salesOrderAdapter = new SqlDataAdapter(command);
     salesOrderAdapter.Fill(ds, "TABLE_NAME");
     salesOrderAdapter.Dispose();
     command.Dispose();
     return ds;
  }

Thanks,
Max
Let Me Google That For You!
0
bullpit
6/1/2007 5:58:39 PM

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I will play with the code and see what I get. I see its in C#. Thats ok its not difficult to convert to vb.

wstevens

Visual Studio 2005 Express/Visual Studio 2005 Same Language Support
I know the Visual Studio 2005 is much better than it's Express edition, but can they produce the same results in the end?  By that, I mean that you can use the exact same code in the Express edition and it will build the same as Visual Studio 2005, and the language support is the same (everything bit of code that works on VS 2005 will also work on VS 2005 Express)?VDesign Yes, projects and files are fully interchangeable. Express editions lack some IDE/UI features, but code you write will work everywhere.Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is...

Visual Studio 2005 vs. Visual Studio 2005 BETA 2
In terms of functionality and features, I was wondering whether there any major differences between Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 Beta2. Thanks From the C# Windows Apps & Web Apps - pecadillos more than anything.  I have several sizeable projects in bothe.g. MDI child/parent Mensu/toolstrips no longer automergesome complaints about rafting property that no longer exists in Windows forms controlsIf it was easy, everybody would be doing it. The primary difference was mainly a lot of bug fixes.  Two areas that we enhanced were website projects and ...

Visual Studio 2005 Pro / Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro ?
Ok I have enough money now to purchase Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro but what do you think guys, is it too late? Do I need to wait til Visual Studio 2005 is officially release? If you suggest me to wait, so I will still use my Visual Studio.NET Pro 60 days trial edition. After the trial reach its limit, I will reformat my HD and install my Windows + Visual Studio Trial again. Yeah this is make me tired but I dont need to spend 600 bucks again for upgrade. or perhaps I will use MSDN Subscription Pro but I hope Visual Studio 2005 Pro will release before my subscription is expired. ...

Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition beta VS Visual Studio.net 2003
Is Visual C# 2005 Express Edition Beta better than Visual Studio.net 2003 ? HighOnCodingWanna get high! in my opinon no. vs.net 2003 is a released application, and is used for more than just c#. visual studio whidbey beta is pretty cool except it's a little quirky still. I swear I can't wait til august.Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? Zero. Is Visual C# 20...

Visual Studio Express upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Pro
I have third party components those I am using with express editions. I want to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Pro. How can I do it without messing my third party components? Do I need to unistall previous version & install VS 2005 or just overwrite it? You can have Visual Studio Express editions and Visual Studio 2005 installed side by side.  I would just install VS 2005 proSilverlight-helpVb TipsSpace Coast .Net User Group ok.Thank you Appriciate your help....

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between  Visual Studio.NET 2005 and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition from an ASP.NET(VB) developer point of view?Thank you! For starters, Visual Web Developer Express includes only the portions of Visual Studio that pertain directly to creating Web sites. For example, you can't create Windows Forms projects or class library projects, etc. The rule of thumb there is that in Visual Studio you can create multi-project solutions, whereas in Visual Web Developer Express you can create only Web site projects. Within the ...

SQL Server 2005
I'm very confused.  I installed Visual Studio 2005 and thought I understood that SQL Server 2005 came with it, but it appears that it's SQL Server 2005 - Express.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to get Data Transformation Services loaded or the equivalent of DTS in SQL Express?     beejay I have to say: actually SQL Express, not SQL2005 full version, comes with VS2005. To manage your SQL Express databases much easier, you can download a Management Studio Express from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/ Then you can...

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express VS Visual Studio 2005
Hi all - name of this thread says it all. What's the difference between the free app (that i've decided that I should be using over Dreamweaver) on the asp.net website, and the full, paid-up Visual Studio 2005? I realise VS2005 allows the coding of applications and completely web-unrelated things, but what does it do in the 'web world' that VWD2005 Express doesn't? Thanks!Ramic Solutions Hi all - you can ignore this thread - discovered the search button :-)Ramic Solutions...

Installing Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 With Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 On Machine
I recently completed a successful installation of Visual Studio 2005 on my machine that had Visual Studio 2003 on it already.  I am interested in the beta of Visual Studio 2008, but I'm not sure if there will be conflicts with the previous versions.  Has anyone done this successfully?  Are there any special steps that need to happen for these three development environments to exist together?You can't stop entropy so why even try? I have installed it on my machine but havent had any problems until now though I have not done a lot of work on 2008 yet. This is the only ...

from Visual Studio .NET to Visual studio 2005 (VB)
Good evening, i hame one quistion about diffrenece Visual studio 2005 and older version.In Visual studio .NET to work with table from data base i do next steps:1. Create new connection to data base in data explorer2. Push my table from data explorer to my form, and master automatically create two components (SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter)3. Add to from new object - Dataset for transering data to client application (i amke a web service) and execute command from menu Data | Generate DataSet, then in Dialog box i Add this dataset to the designerThat's itThe quistion is how to do this st...

Visual studio 2005 Vs Visual studio 2003
Hi,  Can anyone please tell me the difference between Visual studio 2003 and visual studio 2005 ?  What are the main features that are available in visual studio 2005 ?   And also please let me know any url where i can get more idea about visual studio 2005. Thanks in advance  Regards, RamCheers,Ramaswamy T.S.  Check VS.NET 2005's 400 plus new features/differences here - http://www.microsoft.com/germany/msdn/400differences/default.mspxM.V. 'Anil' Radhakrishna Web Development Tips, Tricks & Trivia | My Code Gallery Recent article - How To Create...

Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Studio 2008
I have 2 systems. One running XP Pro SP2 + updates second Vista + Updates (and SP1 when its released) I have a copy of Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008. Should i use Visual Studio 2008 on both systems as it allows me to target different .Net platforms? or should i use XP with VS 2005 and Vista with VS 2008. My aim is to create projects for different platforms but still have the advantages of a new product and features i.e. WPF, AJAX, intellisense etc. Is there a reason why someone would want to have VS2005 running on XP rather than VS 2008. Im under the impression VS 20...

Web resources about - Visual studio 2005 express vs Visual studio 2005 standard or pro - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
St. Catharines Standard , a St. Catharines, Ontario, newspaper Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional ...

Aiken Standard - Local News Updated throughout the Day
Your Source for local news in Aiken, South Carolina. Visit our site for recent updates, video, breaking news, and much more.

Business Standard :: Business News,Finance News, World Business, India Stock News, Indian stock market ...
Business Standard, Indias leading business newspaper, provides latest news on stock markets, investing, companies, industry, banking, finance, ...

Manila Standard Today - Latest News in the Philippines
Manila Standard Today - Latest News in the Philippines

The Weekly Standard - A Weekly Conservative Magazine and Blog of News and Opinion.
The Weekly Standard - A Weekly Conservative Magazine and Blog of News and Opinion.

Bulletin Standard
Breaking USA News & Headlines; Latest News and Current News from America, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San ...

The ABA Must Enforce Its Non-Exploitation Standard
If the ABA waits too long to act, we will end up with yet another group of students in 2016 being set up to fail.

Chipotle Tightens Food-Supplier Standards
Chipotle Mexican Grill, dealing with an E. coli outbreak that has sickened dozens around the U.S., has tightened its supplier standards, putting ...

Environmental Protection Agency sets new renewable fuel standards for 2016
(credit: Robenalt @ Flickr ) For the first time since 2013, the US Environmental Protection Agency has issued renewable fuel standards for the ...

Vilification of Ezekiel Elliott shows media double standard, athletes’ unwinnable situation
If you spend any amount of time around media types, you'll hear plenty of complaints about how athletes only offer clichéd comments to the media, ...