Using .NET 3.5 in Visual Studio 2005

We are having a major project release that will require extensive testing. Since entire project will be tested we want to recompile the entire solution with .NET 3.5  (from existing .NET 2.0) Can we do this in Visual Studio 2005 without upgrading to VS2008? If yes, how can I target specific .NET version?

0
dkonyayev

dkonyayev:
Can we do this in Visual Studio 2005 without upgrading to VS2008?

No. VS 2005 was specifically targeted towards the .NET 2.0 framework but could be enhanced by some upgrades to .NET 3.0. For 3.5 however you need VS2008 in which you have the possibility of multitargeting towards 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5.

Grz, Kris.

XIII
9/26/2008 3:20:53 PM

Friend, As said by the above gentlemen, if you want to use the full potentiality of the .Net 3.5 you need the VS.Net 2008 itself.
Also the mutli-version targetting is available only in the VS.Net 2008.

Go through this article as gives you more insight.

http://geekswithblogs.net/cyoung/archive/2007/12/01/117279.aspx

http://geekswithblogs.net/jwhitehorn/archive/2007/06/23/113412.aspx

Good luck!

Please Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.
This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
cv_vikram
9/26/2008 3:27:45 PM

I simply don't buy the "can't use .NET 3.5 with VS 2005' claim (this is not the first I have see it). And the posts referenced above agree.

I am using it and the major inconvenience is that I am having to do a lot of 'work' to convert an ASP 2.0 app to 3.5. (sounds like 2008 will convert for you)

 I am not saying I won't go to 2008 just not yet. All I want is a little utility to convert my existing ASP 2.0 apps to 3.5 without me having to do a lot of typing.

 Any ideas?

Ah, my arch-nemesis...you dev_types think this is so easy. An admin playing God?
0
cking2

cking2:
major inconvenience is that I am having to do a lot of 'work' to convert an ASP 2.0 app to 3.5. (sounds like 2008 will convert for you)

VS 2008 just has the needed tools to work optimized on 3.5. The .NET 3.5 framework is actually nothing more than a booster pack for 2.0 (see it as an addon). So it should be possible to have the same architectural stuff like in 2.0 but with the convenience that ASP.NET AJAX is integrated now.

I'm a bit curious: do you also use Linq in VS2005? Does it provide intellisense for it?

Grz, Kris.

XIII
1/7/2009 9:18:11 PM

Don't use linq...but...I decided to give 2008 a whirl and I have to say that it was worth the long install and LONG SP1 update. Hmm

Ah, my arch-nemesis...you dev_types think this is so easy. An admin playing God?
0
cking2

from Visual Studio .NET to Visual studio 2005 (VB)
Good evening, i hame one quistion about diffrenece Visual studio 2005 and older version.In Visual studio .NET to work with table from data base i do next steps:1. Create new connection to data base in data explorer2. Push my table from data explorer to my form, and master automatically create two components (SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter)3. Add to from new object - Dataset for transering data to client application (i amke a web service) and execute command from menu Data | Generate DataSet, then in Dialog box i Add this dataset to the designerThat's itThe quistion is how to do this st...

.NET 3.0 or 3.5 in visual studio 2005
Hi,I'm developing a site using two seperate machines depending on my location.  One has VS 2008.  The other has VS 2005.  Is there a way to get .NET 3.0 or 3.5 to work on on Visual Studio 2005.  I was told .NET 3.5 won't work because it contains the Vista Modules, but I don't know about 3.0. Hi, Visual Studio 2005 cannot use .Net Framework 3.5 as target framework. In your case, we can install .Net Framework 3.0 redistributable package (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=10CC340B-F857-4A14-83F5-25634C3BF043&displaylang=en) wh...

Can I Have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 together?
Hi everyone. Can I have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 installed in the same machine? I want to install Studio 2005 but I do not want to uninstall Studio.NET yet. Thanks!C# I am running VS 2003 and VS 2005 together with no problems.Martin Lawrence, MCSE, CNE, A+ Recut Technologies Ltd. http://www.recut.com Yes, they can be installed side-by-side. I have it installed side-by-side on my computer and it works perfectly without any conflicts. I even think there is a Version Selector (not something you have to install as it is installed by default) which will make sure your pro...

Connect to ASE 12.5.3 using ADO.Net from Visual Studio 2005?
Hello all, Is there a driver available that will enable me to connect from a VS 2005 application to a Sybase ASE 12.5.3 database located on a unix server on our network? Up until now, I have been trying to do so using OLEDB, but I would imagine that ADO.Net should be faster. Any advice would be much appreciated --- I am hoping that the driver is free and is available directly from Sybase. Regards, Kevin Software Developer Kit (http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do? client=support) Hi, I have exactly the same question. But it seems no one provides any answer yet. Something...

Visual Studio 2005 Pro / Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro ?
Ok I have enough money now to purchase Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro but what do you think guys, is it too late? Do I need to wait til Visual Studio 2005 is officially release? If you suggest me to wait, so I will still use my Visual Studio.NET Pro 60 days trial edition. After the trial reach its limit, I will reformat my HD and install my Windows + Visual Studio Trial again. Yeah this is make me tired but I dont need to spend 600 bucks again for upgrade. or perhaps I will use MSDN Subscription Pro but I hope Visual Studio 2005 Pro will release before my subscription is expired. ...

Running Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 on the same machine.
Hi there,   I have many projects i develop and continue to maintain on my server. Visual Studio .NET 2003 is currently installed and is what i use to do this. I'd really like to install Visual Studio 2005 and give that a whirl on the same machine, and perhaps develop upcoming sites with it also.I understand that upon installation of VS 2005 it will install the 2.0 Framework. Will this effect my 1.1 sites at all? Does the 2.0 Framework upgrade the 1.1 framework, or does it leave the 1.1 framework intact so older projects can still use it?Any advice would be welcome! :)Thanks,Cr...

Why Visual Studio 2005 ask me to convert a solution already got converted Somebody did the conversion of a solution from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 by using the automatic conversion wizard of Visual Stu
Why Visual Studio 2005 ask me to convert a solution already got converted Somebody did the conversion of a solution from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 by using the automatic conversion wizard of Visual Studio 2005. Then, he changed to another company. Now, I take over his job. Unfortunately, when I attempted to open that solution, Visual Studio 2005 prompted me the conversion wizard again to forced me to perform a conversion on the solution. Does someone know why?--Harish Patel www.MicrosoftSQLandASP.netpatelharish@gmail.com Hi, How many projects are in the solution, does it have UNLOADE...

.NET 3.5 with Visual Studio 2005
I need to stay with VS 2005 due to third-party DLLs used in my application, but would like to use .NET 3.5. I've seen many posts that indicate it can be done, but they don't say exactly how to set VS to use another version of .NET.  Can someone give an explicit description of how to do this, i.e., which toolbar tab or project properties to set, and what they should be set to? Thanks in advance,Martin   You can't use 3.5 in VS 2005. VS 2005 only supports .NET 2.0. However, VS 2008 fully supports .NET 2.0, so you can continue using third party components. A...

Visual Studio "Orcas" Visual Studio.net "2005"
What are Microsoft on weed??? Whidby Orcas Indigo XAML Longhorn What are they trying to do to us developers. The transition to any new tools should be minimal. What we know about WebServices is now old bunk. Why did we bother with .net 1.1???????? Now we need to learn new silly names and new ways of doing things. Yes .net 1.1 is still supported in v2.0. But there are a million and one other needless things that we will have pushed onto us. Only to find in anther two years that they are old hat and there are new radical ways to do what we want.MCAD.Net vb.n...

Web resources about - Using .NET 3.5 in Visual Studio 2005 - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

Visual Basic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Visual Basic was derived from BASIC and enables the rapid application development (RAD) of graphical user interface (GUI) applications, access ...

AMD Discusses 2016 Radeon Visual Technologies Roadmap
... from AMD’s earlier GPU groups. As part of AMD’s RTG technology summit, I had the chance to sit down and hear about RTG’s plans for their visual ...

Digimon Adventure tri.'s 2nd Film Previewed in Visual
The official website for the Digimon Adventure tri. film series updated on Monday with the poster visual for second film, Digimon Adventure tri. ...

Read This: The visual development of Darth Vader
Brian Muir, the legendary artist who sculpted the original Darth Vader helmet based on Ralph McQuarrie’s designs, recently announced on Twitter ...

How to Stop Visual Hacking. Yes, That’s a Thing!
... you or your company from the high-tech hackers of the world, but it means nothing if someone can simply steal information with a glance. Visual ...

How to use Maps To Make Your Blog More Visual
... a topic or piece of content that has to do with places and locations. Nowadays (and often in the olden days), readers gravitate towards visual ...

Visual Effects On ‘The Martian,’ ‘Ant-Man’ And ‘The Walk’ Stand Out In Blockbuster Year For VFX
It's been a transformative year for the art of visual effects , demonstrated not only by the increasingly ordinary and realistic depiction of ...

The Good Dinosaur's Visual Grandeur Makes Up For Its Lack Of Wit
One of the constant accolades Pixar receives about its movies is that they’re not made just for kids. This is meant as a compliment: While they’re ...

A couple of age-gated visual novels are on sale on Steam
... ass god damn Clannad eyes got me thinking; I'm not sure about what, but I'll get back to you if I figure it out. Anyways, a couple more visual ...

Microsoft Integrates IncrediBuild Into Visual Studio 2015 Update 1
The integration of IncrediBuild into Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 provides enhanced acceleration and build visualization to users of the IDE. ...