user control to user control

I have an aspx page that have a "Register" directive to two usercontrol called rptMaster.ascx and rptDetail.ascx. I'm trying to set up a Master-Detail relationship and wish for the rptMaster.ascx to trigger and event from a dropdownlist and for the rptDetail to be listening for DropDownList event.

I believe I have gotten the events part okay with help from this articel http://codeproject.com/aspnet/Page_UserControl.asp but my declaration for a private statement to my rptMaster class is producing an error.

I'm using beta 2 of asp.net and I 'm having trouble getting a reference TO rptMaster FROM rptDetail.

rptMaster.ascx.cs :

namespace Meteora

{

public partial class rptMaster_ascx : System.Web.UI.UserControl, IBoroughInterface

{

public event CommandEventHandler ddlSelectionIndexChanged;

rptDetail.ascx.cs

namespace Meteora

{

public partial class rptDetails_ascx : System.Web.UI.UserControl

{

protected rptMaster_ascx rp;

I will get this error " The type or namespace name 'rptMaster_ascx' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

I don't wish to bore anyone with too much code so kept it simple but if you need more i will provide. I know its something basic that i'm missing.

Thanks, Gloudon

0
GGGloudon

User Controls in User Controls?
I have the follow set up and it is throwing an error "Unhandled error loading module" ... is there some trick to this that I don't know?I have a project A that uses controls from project B (project B is just a project with all my user controls used through out other modules).  project A uses user control 1 from project B with out any issues at all - great.  But then I wanted to add user control 2 to user control 1 and that is when I get my error.  In fact I don't even have the user control 2 in user control 1, just when I put the register part into user control 1 is when it all falls over.For reference how I'm calling the user controls:In Project A, Page A:<%@ Register TagPrefix="MyControl" TagName="ControlOne" Src="~/DesktopModules/ProjectA/ucControlOne.ascx" %>In User Control 1:<%@ Register TagPrefix="MyControl" TagName="ControlTwo" Src=<see below> %>OK for the source on the second register I've tried the following~/DesktopModules/ProjectA/ucControlTwo.ascxucControlTwo.ascx../DesktopModules/ProjectA/ucControlTwo.ascxc:\inetpub\www\dnn311\DesktopModules/ProjectA/ucControlTwo.ascxThis should work right?  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any help in advance!...

User Control in a User Control
I have a first user control that contain a second user control. If I cahe the first user control can I still dynamically control the second one or it is cached with the first one therefore can not control it anymore? Thanks When your first control is cached, its rendered out and its output is stored in the cache. On every request to the page containing your control that can satisfy it from cache, the output will just simply be inserted - your first control will never be instantiated or run in that case, so the second one wont be either. Hope this helps,Mike VolodarskyProgram ManagerIIS Core Server / ASP.NET RuntimeThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.Read more about IIS7 on my blog at www.mvolo.com...

User control in a user control
Hello all, I have created a user control with some checkboxes, and public properties to get the values of these checkboxes. I have also created a second user control using the first user control; this second control also access the public properties of the first one. My problem is when I implement the second control in an aspx page, if I click at runtime the checkboxes in the first control, I am able to access its public properties from the methods of the second control but the values of these properties are wrong. while at design time, I do not have this problem. Thank you in advance for your help.It is when you give from yourself that you truly give.IT Images RobHood:My problem is when I implement the second control in an aspx page, if I click at runtime the checkboxes in the first control, I am able to access its public properties from the methods of the second control but the values of these properties are wrong. while at design time, I do not have this problem. By "wrong values" do you mean that the values of the inner User Control's properties revert back to their declaratively set or default values, rather than the values that have been programmatically set by the outer User Control?Can you show us the code you use for the properties of the inner User Control? If my understanding of what you mean by "wrong values" is correct, then it may be that you are not backing the property values to viewstate, whic...

How to access a user control from another user control in a Wizard control
My page has a wizard control and each step is a user control.  I could find the value of a control in step1 user control in the wizard page but not in step2 user control.From wizard.aspx.vb – it worksDim m_title As DropDownList = CType(Me.PersonalBox1.FindControl("ddlTitle1"), DropDownList) Question:How can I find the value of a control(textbox or dropdownlist)in step1 user control from step2 user control? I want to find “PersonalBox1.FindControl("ddlTitle1")” from Step2 AddressBox1. I have tried several ways to access it but no luck. From AddressBox.ascx.vb –...

User Control controls not created when dynamically creating user control
  Have created a user control for displaying and editing a dynamically number of values. The user control contains two labels and an edit box. When dynamically loading the user control I get an error when the control itself tries to change setting on the fields within the user control.   Why doesnt this work? It works okay if I dont load it dynamically but create a user-control-instance in the aspx-page but thats no solution.   Thankyou!     Here is my code:   ucDataValue.ascx   <%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true&...

User Controls not working if I put Validation controls in user control
Hi           I have validation controls(RequiredField Validator,RegularExpressionValidator)  in user controls.User controls are not posting back like the events are not wiring up.If I remove Validation controls in User controls page,user controls are working fine.Can anyone please help me out in getting it fixed. In the Validation controls, make sure you are setting the ControlToValidate property to the control that it links to.  If you're in .NET 2.0, it's also a good idea to put all the validation controls in the same Valid...

Raiseevent user control in user control
 Hi there, I am working on a project in which a user control (BedrijfMasterDatagrid.ascx) is creating an other user control (BedrijfDatagrid.ascx).The user control BedrijfDatagrid.ascx is correctly created, but the clicked event of the created image control (BedrijfDatagrid.ibImageButtonClicked ) is not fired. (see BedrijfDetail.aspx)When I place BedrijfDatagrid.ascx directly on the page the event is correctly fired. Summary:BedrijfMasterDatagrid.ascx:       Datagrid with 1 row in which BedrijfDatagrid is dynamically createdBedrijfDatagrid.ascx  ...

Referencing User Control In Some Other User Control
hi, I have two user controls namely CanvasGrid.ascx and GridUtility.ascx. CanvasGrid.ascx is just a container for displaying GridView control in a placedholder GridPH. I want to get the checked rows from GridView control of CanvasGrid.ascx and do tagging against specific name selected from the TagDropDownList of GridUtility.ascx. But the problem is that I am not geting the reference of GridView as it is coming null everytime even when I am using FindControl() to find the GridView control on the page. GridUtility.ascx is a part of CanvasGrid.ascx and it is placed in a placehol...

User Control inside User Control
I have an ASPX with user controls in it called UC1.There is another user control called UC2 within user control UC1.(UC1 - parent , UC2 - child) What I need to do is to pass value of the text box that’s located inside user control UC1 to UC2. This is the code I put into  user control UC1. How to I read it in User control UC2?   Public ReadOnly Property propCountryName() As TextBox Get Return Me.txtCountrygName End Get End Property    Thank you100 years live, 100 years learn You can define a property inside the UC1 and UC2. Pag...

User Control inside User Control
I have an ASPX with user controls in it called UC1.There is another user control called UC2 within user control UC1.(UC1 - parent , UC2 - child) What I need to do is to pass value of the text box that’s located inside user control UC1 to UC2. This is the code I put into  user control UC1. How to I read it in User control UC2? Public ReadOnly Property propCountryName() As TextBox Get Return Me.txtCountrygName End Get End Property    Thank you100 years live, 100 years learn Hello, In UC2, try the followin code Dim tb As TextBox=CType(Parent.FindControl("TextBox1"), TextBox) tb.Text Hope it helps, JessicaJessica CaoSincerely,Microsoft Online Community Support“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” That did it. Thanks a lot.100 years live, 100 years learn...

user controls containing other user controls
I have a ContactInfo custom class that exposes AddressInfo custom class as property. I created two User Controls, you guess, Contact.ascx and Address.ascx. Address.ascx exposes property Address as AddressInfo. I am running into following problem. In Contact.ascx in page_load sub I am trying to set the values of the Contact class like this : _contact.PrimaryAddress = ctlAddress.PrimaryAddress but since value of the PrimaryAddress property in Address.ascx is set also in Page_Load, above code will not work since there is no instance of this object yet. Is my only option to mak...

user control inside a user control
i've currently got one of my pages setup so that I have a user control, CreateMessage.ascx, inside my main user control, ViewChangeMessages.ascx. My problem is that i've got a method inside my main usercontrol that either hides or shows the second user control, but it doesn't work, mainly coz i found out that the second user control is loaded before my main one. Is there any way i can get around this? You could try to load the second user control programmatically the OnPreRender method of your main user control. You'll need to add a placeholder in the spot you want the user control to...

Inherits user controls from my own user control.
Hi, I am working on ASP.NET 2.0 with the C# as code behind. I have a baseControl.ascx.cs which will have properties and some methods.Then I have childControl.ascx.cs which inherits from  the baseControl. Public partial class childControl : baseControl Both user controls are in the same namespace. When I build those user controls, it returns me error saying that the type or namespace baseControl cannot be found(). I would like to know is it possible to inherit user control? Will it be possible if I declared the baseControl as an abstract class since I want to have some abstract met...

Updating a Label control in one user control from another user control
Hi all, I have a main page in my music store site that has 5 user controls on it with 1 always showing main content and the others being things like a shopping cart, "best sellers", genre list etc (a la amazon). From the main content control I want to be able to set some label controls in my shopping basket control but I just can't seem to work out the syntax for how to do this: Here's the code I'm using - I'm trying to go to the 4th user control on the page (my shopping basket) then find the appropraite label, cast it locally as a Label then update the value: Label _so...

want to call one c#.net function in one user control from another user control
hi i have two user controls info.ascx and personal.ascx i have a function like in info.ascx i have a function like showdetails() {   } now i want to access this function from personal.ascx can i do this ? thanks in advance. shwetaThanksshwetaIn a day when don't come across any problem -you can be sure that you are traveling in wrong path  you should better create a class where you will define the "functions" that you need in both files. declare "static" the function and call it like nameofclass.nameoffunction In a web project you can...

How to Load User Control From Within User Control
I'd like to load a user control, that has its code-behind compiled into an assembly, from within another user control. The user control you see below is used as a page template, contained within a .aspx file. There is no code in the MySite.Web.UI.Pages.PageTemplate class. <%@ Control Language="C#" Inherits="MySite.Web.UI.Pages.PageTemplate" %> <%@ Register TagPrefix="mysite" Namespace="MySite.Web.UI.Controls" Assembly="MySite.Web" %> <div id="container"> <div id="pageHeader"> ...

communication between user controls nested in a user control
Okay- trying to do this but not sure if I can . I want to build one user control that contains 1-10 user controls within. But how can I communicate between children user controls. Maybe I am a little lost without Intellisense. Anyway, if can provide me with a quick example in C# - I would appreciate it. Could I just reference controls individually by their "ID"s ? Thanks in advance.2 wrongs don't make a right - but three lefts do You could do something like this: foreach (Control c in Parent.Controls) { if (c is UserControl) { // com...

Updating a User Control from another User control
I have a web page that has three frames: Header, Nav, and Content. In the header frame, I have a user control for the breadcrumb text (something like "Home : Cases : Jones Case : Contacts") that needs to be updated based on information sent from another user control which is in the Content frame. Is this possible?...

Accessing a user control within a user control
Hi all, I have a user control and I'm using another user control within it but I'm unable to access the members of this nested user control. Can someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks   Exposes the needed members as properties and access them.  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you  make the nested user control a property of the other user control.Regards Please click "Mark as Answer" if my reply solved your problem.Visit My Blog Can someone please provide an example? Thanks  For example if...

Accesing User Controls within User Control
I've a web page which is using a user control.  I need to put several user controls on that user control (which I'm loading on web page.).  My problem is how to access the user controls property on (which are on the user control) from web page. Please help. Thanks in advance. you need to create other property in your web control which will return an instance of your 2nd web controlDomain Names | ASP.NET 3.5 Hosting - $3.99/mo (10 GB Space, 300 GB Transfer, 200 MB MS SQL 2000/2005) Are you saying that you have multiple controls on one page that you want to talk to eachot...

Accessing Variable from User Control to user control
hi, I have one page: index.aspx and in that 3 user controls: header.ascx body.ascx footer.ascx Now all I want to do is access a variabled called ID that is in header.ascx from , body.ascx ? is this possible, vb example please?  Cheers.  smoothbugger wrote:Now all I want to do is access a variabled called ID that is in header.ascx from , body.ascx ? is this possible, vb example please? You should never get User Controls to communicate directly with one another. To do so violates the whole point of User Controls: that they are self-contained controls that can be placed on a...

passing a parameter, user control to user control
There are two user controls on a Web form. What is the syntax to reference a propertiy on the other user control. The error message states: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Results' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) Source Error: Line 7: { Line 8: //Set the department name property of the Results control Line 9: Results.DepartmentName = DepartmentList.SelectedItem.Text; Line 10: } Line 9 needs something different in order to reference this PROPERTY (DepartmentName) on the user control Results....

Web resources about - user control to user control - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

Fracas in Darra after party gets out of control
Police have charged 13 people after a party in Darra descends into fights.

How-To: Easily move items to full screen apps with Mission Control
Mission Control is a great feature found in OS X that can simplify the process of moving items between full screen apps when combined with Hot ...

GOP Debate: Rubio Criticizes Gun Control, Does Not Mention His Vote for 1999 Gun Ban
GOP Debate: Rubio Criticizes Gun Control, Does Not Mention His Vote for 1999 Gun Ban

Device enables monkeys tp control wheelchair with their minds
New research is giving monkeys amazing capabilities, and could help humans in the future

High-flying hack: Researcher shows how to seize control of a drone
German grad student Nils Rodday figured out how to intercept flight instructions and start flying a drone himself. He says the hardware he exploited ...

I Thought My Body Was Shutting Down — Until I Quit My Birth Control
​Michelle Morton's chronic pain may have been caused by her birth control.

Meet The Radical Gun Control Group That Pushes The Anti-Gun Hollywood Agenda
They are a propaganda machine dedicated to smearing gun owners via entertainment venues

Star Fox Zero's motion controls can't be fully disabled
IGN reports that, despite earlier claims , motion controls can't be fully disabled for Star Fox Zero . Nintendo issued a statement explaining ...

ICYMI: Fast brain upload, mind-control monkeys & more
Today on In Case You Missed It: Researchers at HRL Labs have developed a system to upload information to your brain using electrical signals ...