Trying to populate a drowonlist template field in a gridview in vb.net

I have a gird view and one my second colume is a template field.  The item template is a label but the edit is a dropdownlist.  I have used dropdownlist before in a gridview tempalte and added items to it in the aspx but this time I need to bind data from a data set into the drowdownlist.  I know how to do this but I do not know how to populate it when its a edit template.  If i just had a dropdownlist called ddl1 that was just on my web form i would do the following

ddl1.datasource = getXYZ 'getXYZ is a call to a function that returns a dataset that i want to populate the dropdownlist

ddl1.datatextfiled = "abc"

ddl1.datavaluefield ="def"

ddl1.databind()

How do i access the dorpdownlist in my gridview and bind a datset to it.  If the dropdownlilst in my gridview is called ddlPayers if i code to the aspx.vb and type ddlPayers = getXYZ it says ddlPayers does not exist.

0
draskc03

Defining your DataSource declaratively rather by through code is by far the easiest way. However, if you don't want to or can't set up your DataSource declaratively on the ASPX page, then your option is to set-up your binding within the GridView.RowDataBound event. Within this event, you'd simply retrieve the DropDownList via the GridViewRow.FindControl method and code your data bind from there. I personally try to avoid this approach and set-up my databinding declaratively through the use of an ObjectDataSource.
Thanks, Ed

Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

0
ecbruck
2/5/2007 6:46:07 PM
Thanks for the tip I used and sqldatasource,  I have one more question how would I set the seleted value of the dropdownlist text to what ever the text is in the label for that cell. So if the label.text for the cell was "Pear" and my drowdownlist is sorted with fruits in order how to i get "Pear" to be the first thing thats show up in the dropdownlist box when the user clicks the edit button instead of "Apple" cause its sorted by fruit.
0
draskc03
2/5/2007 9:13:22 PM

Bind the value of the fruit to the SelectedValue attribute of the drop down list:

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Fruit">

<ItemTemplate>

<asp:Label id="FruitLabel" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("FruitName") %>' />

</ItemTemplate>

<
EditItemTemplate>

<asp:DropDownList id="FruitDropDown" runat="server" DataTextField="FruitName" DataValueField="FruitID" DataSourceID="FruitDataSource" SelectedValue='<%# Bind("FruitID") %>' />

</EditItemTemplate>

</asp:TemplateField>

HTH

Steve
0
drktrnq

from Visual Studio .NET to Visual studio 2005 (VB)
Good evening, i hame one quistion about diffrenece Visual studio 2005 and older version.In Visual studio .NET to work with table from data base i do next steps:1. Create new connection to data base in data explorer2. Push my table from data explorer to my form, and master automatically create two components (SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter)3. Add to from new object - Dataset for transering data to client application (i amke a web service) and execute command from menu Data | Generate DataSet, then in Dialog box i Add this dataset to the designerThat's itThe quistion is how to do this st...

Visual Studio.Net and VB.Net
Can we install VS.Net and VB.Net on the same machine and work side by. Is there any thing I need to worry about? I use VS.Net enterprise for my office work and I am planning to buy VB.Net standard for my personal use. Before I goahead and buy, I wanted to make sure that it works. Thanks for your help. Anil...

Need Visual Studio 2005 Web Part Templates for VB.net
*** UPDATE 2/12/2008:  Click here to download sharepoint VB templates http://www.stepside.com/ratings/sharepoint-vb.zip ***  I installed the Microsoft supplied templates for web part development in visual studio 2005 and was pleasantly surprised to find that it did not include VB.net templates, only C# templates. Does anyone know if Microsoft has released a VB version of the templates OR Does anyone know how to convert the c# templates to VB? THANKS!Mark this post as the "Answer" if it was the answer. There's got to be someone out there developing...

Visual Studio.NET VB.NET Edition for DNN?
I have been plugging along using the Handcoded method for Module Development up to this point and although I have been successful I'd like to possibly make the jump up to Visual Studio. I was looking at Microsot's Website and there is a VB.Net only version that lists for only $109 vs. the $1000+ for the full fleged Professional Edition. Is it possible to adequately develop for the DNN platform using this trimmed down (VB.NET only) version of Visual Studio 2003? The VB.NET 2003 package is more than adequate for DDN moodules or full-blown ASP.NET applications. Highly recommended... mi...

Visual Basic.NET or Visual Studio.NET?

Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

Can I Have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 together?
Hi everyone. Can I have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 installed in the same machine? I want to install Studio 2005 but I do not want to uninstall Studio.NET yet. Thanks!C# I am running VS 2003 and VS 2005 together with no problems.Martin Lawrence, MCSE, CNE, A+ Recut Technologies Ltd. http://www.recut.com Yes, they can be installed side-by-side. I have it installed side-by-side on my computer and it works perfectly without any conflicts. I even think there is a Version Selector (not something you have to install as it is installed by default) which will make sure your pro...

VB.NET vs. C#.NET Behavior of Visual Studio
I'm transitioning from coding in VB to coding in C#. Maybe I have something set wrong, but a behavioral difference is driving me bananas. When I edit a VB source file, the two drop-downs at the top of the edit view are Class Name and Method Name, and it makes it easy to add a new event handler for any of the controls on the page. Choose which one on the left, pick your event on the right, and VS inserts an empty, properly formatted subroutine. In C# mode, however, those two drop-downs are labeled Types and Members, and there doesn't appear to be a way to tell it to create the empty framew...

Web resources about - Trying to populate a drowonlist template field in a gridview in vb.net - asp.net.visual-studio-2005