Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project

Hi,

 we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:

Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Source Error:

Line 121:        }
Line 122:
Line 123:        protected ProfileCommon Profile {
Line 124:            get {
Line 125:                return ((ProfileCommon)(this.Context.Profile));

Source File: c:\WINDOWS\microsoft.net\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\24d102b0\2da2c24\App_Web_loginform.ascx.cc671b29.iotd3js5.0.cs    Line: 123

First of all, we are fully aware of changes made in Web App project regarding Profile and it was all converted properly into special WebProfile class. Also, code you see is not present anywhere in our application, it is auto generated when the web site starts for first time after being stopped. We have tried to delete files under Temporary ASP.NET Files folder (when the web site was stopped), but it was regenerated again.

My opinion is that this must be something with concrete web site configuration because the very same code (I mean deployed code) is working properly on test website on the same box. I think this has something to do with how precompilation works and it is trying to use same old way (from Web Site project) rather than Web App (but I might be wrong).

Any help will he highly appreciated.

Antonin

0
senseicz123

Have you tried deleting the web and replacing?

Wayne John - Only a Lad
0
WayneJohn
7/31/2007 7:13:25 PM

 Not whole web site but the root directory was deleted, however, not for the first time.

I think the problem was caused by leaving PrecompiledApp.config file in the root directory, weird thing is that even when root directory was deleted later (including that file), we were still experiencing error.

Yesterday we made second attempt and it was successful, so problem solved :-)

0
senseicz123

Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005
 Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005 What are the main benefits of using a Web App project over a Website project or vice-versa? Web App Project: You have to jump through hoops to use edit and continue with a Web App where in a website it just works. I’ve figured this out with the help of ScottGu. Thanks! http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/VS-2005-Web-Application-Project-V1.0-Released.aspx Web App Project: what are the *.aspx.designer.cs files for? Website Project: how do you set up the project to use a ...

install problem 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Hello, I like to install 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 - Update to Support Web Application Projects' (VS80-KB915364-X86-ENU.exe) on a german version of VS2005 professional and got an error message from windows installer which means : "The upgradepatch can not inssalled cause the program is posible not insalle or the upgradepath has an other version as the program which shall be actulised" ( translatet from by me ;-) Is there a possebilety to get it running ? or to change my vs2005 german version to an english version ? Thank you in advance Uwe lestaUwe Lesta You will have to have a...

Migrating from VS 2005 Web Site Projects to VS 2005 Web Application Projects witn vb and c# code
I've tring to migrate Web Site to Web Aplication in VS 2005. In my Web Site I have pages written using VB and C#. During converting to WA i choose VB and only pages with VB code i can migrate. If I choose C# as language for WA only pages with C# I can migrate. Is a way to migrate Web Site with mix of VB and C# code? Wieslaw Hi, As far as I know, The ASP.NET Web application doesn't support that C# application project contains VB page or VB application project contains C# page. But it can compile the different language class file in project. In your case, you can tr...

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

How to precompile a web application (not a web site) in a 2005 deployment project
I have a vs2005 vb.net based web application with some 300 aspx pages, one asmx page, and 6 standalone executables, one of which is a service. I already have a deployment project created and working. This is a proper vs2005 web application project, and not just opening a website. I want to be able to deliver precompiled web pages as the system is very slow after installation/reboot. I recently downloaded the "web deployment projects" thing as recommended by scottgu, but when I add this to my solution it always fails with       "asp...

VS 2005 Web Application project >> Web Site project
Hello,I am trying to do the uncommon, change a VS 2005 Web Application project (originally a converted 2003 Web Application project) to a VS 2005 Web Site project. There are many tutorials on how to either take a 2003 Web Application project, or 2005 Web Site project and turn them into into a VS 2005 Web Application project. (Not what I'm looking for)Also, is it possible to convert a 2003 Web Application project to a 2005 Web Site project. (too late for my current projects.... but for future refernce) Many thanx     There may very well be a reason why the road o...

Web Application Projects with Web Deployment Projects...
Hi there,  Does anyone have any experience in using the Web Deployment Project pieces to deploy Web Application style projects (rather than the web site projects model)? We have a rather larger eCommerce site that uses WAP model (it was originally a website model, but we ran into so many problems with compile times, temp .dll file lockups at compile etc that we moved it to WAP a long time ago). What's strange is that the project compiles fine normally when we're not using the Web Deployment Project and everything is fine. However, the second we hook the WDP stuff up, we'r...

Web Deployment Project with Web Application Project
I currently have a working Solution that contains 3 VB class library projects and one Web Application Project and it is working fine. I would like to use the web.config replacement functionality from the Web Deployment Projects. I add a Web Deployment project and keep the defaults, and the build is broken. Whenever I try to build, I get the following error: error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'MyWebApp.Page1'. Done building project "MyWebApp.vbproj_deploy.wdproj" -- FAILED. I have searched on this and found some information, but it doesn't seem to help. I&#...

Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project
I went to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx and downloaded the web deployment project. Installed it and tried to create a deployment project for my web application project. However, I do not get the menu item. I've tried this with existing WAP's, new WAP's, but no luck. I have VS 2005 team developer, with SP1 and Team Explorer installed.I've tried the steps mentioned through out this post: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1502324.aspx but still have no luck in getting the menu item.Any help would be appreciatedWayne...

Web Site Project and Web Application Project
I hope someone can help me out with this question.I have been using Web Application Projects and like what it can offer because I am so used to how VS 2003 was structured. I am trying to teach someone the difference between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to create a new solution that is specific to the Web Site Project structure anymore. I thought when I installed Web Application Projects, I would have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects. Is there something I am overlooking when I ...

Web Application Project/Web Site Project
Hello, I have some couple of questions... 1) How do I know a particular application already built in asp.net is "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ?2) Also I have a application built in ASP.NET and If I open the source code in VS2005, Its giving a message saying this application is built in old version and it should be converted into new version before even using. So should I migrate the application to "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ? . kindly advise..(Note: This application is NOT very big or complex.) Thanks in Advance..Renil. 1)A web application pro...

Web Site Project or Web Application Project?
Hi all, I have a situation here.  My team's project has window and web clients, and we used Team System to control Source Code. We have a contract company that develop the generated codes for some of the web pages that being used in the web client.  They built it using Web Site Project.  We still need to develop some other web pages that has different functionalities than the code generator and one of our team member created a project which is a Web Application Project.  Now, the code generator doesn't work because it won't compile in our Web Application Pro...

Web Deployment Project and Web Application Project
 Hi! Maybe I have missed something, but shouldn't there be possible to do a web deployment project of a web application project? I have followed this guide http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx, but  I can't get it to work without building the web application project first. With TFSBuild it fails even if I build the web application first. The error looks like this: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /WebDepWeb.csproj -p <MySourceFolder>\WebDepWeb -f <MySourceFolder>\WebDepBuild\Binaries\Release\_PublishedWebsi...

Problem: Web Deployment Projects and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
I can't get Web Deployment Projects to work in Visual Web Developer 2005 Express. I've tried to reinstall/repair both WDP and VWD, but I still not get Add Web Deployment Project command in the Build menu. What I'm doing wrong? Or is this a bug? Please help me... Web Deployment projects are only supported in VS Standard and above. The reason is that Express editions do not have extensibility mechanisms that full version of VS has.Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights....

Web resources about - Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

Would you give up chocolate for better application performance?
Application performance is critical to business performance according to 98 percent of businesses, yet 89 percent of executives say the poor ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 29% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 1.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

Digitimes Research: China touch panel makers increasing investments in niche products and large-size ...
The China International Touchscreen Exhibition (C-Touch) was recently held in Shenzhen, China, featuring a number of local and international ...

New patent application suggests Nintendo’s NX console is like nothing we’ve seen before
Nintendo has been close-mouthed about its plans for the Nintendo NX, but a recent patent filing may have tipped the company's hand. If so, then ...