How convert VS2005 site web to new Web Application Project

We found out about the new Web Application Project tool a few days too late. Our VS 2003 web app has now been moved to the default VS2005 model. Now that we know about the new Project model add-in, we'd love to convert to that.

Our biggest problem with the standard VS2005 model is that non-GACed references aren't stored anywhere...it just looks in the bin. This is a pain for our build/deployment process (no more Copy Local). We can GAC a lot of assemblies (even though we don't want to), but some of them are third-party unsigned assemblies or COM interop assemblies, so they have to be in the bin.

When the next version of Web Application Project ships, will it have a way to allow us to convert our 2005 projects between the two models? I see talk of a good 2003 upgrade tool, but no mention of a two-way 2005 migration tool.

Unfortunately, I think it will be a big pain for us to move to the Project model at this time because we have to manually create the aspx.designer.cs files. All those partial classes are buried in the Temporary ASP.Net files directory and have all sorts of strange pragmas. However, once the tool has been upgraded to automatically generate the aspx.designer.cs files, it doesn't seem like it should be too difficult to migrate between the site and project models, so hopefully a tool might exist.

Any hopes of a tool for this?

Any idea when the "early 2006" update for the Project update might be?

0
MichaelDev

The next visual studio is going to be released sometime in 2006, My guess is fall 06 after vista ships. Its going to have a built in designer for xaml... ect... Also I know there going to be releasing a service pack for 2005 so if a dev team leader reads this post maybe they might consider adding this to sp1. :)

-Blake Niemyjski
Blog - Website: windowscoding.com
0
Blake05

Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005
 Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005 What are the main benefits of using a Web App project over a Website project or vice-versa? Web App Project: You have to jump through hoops to use edit and continue with a Web App where in a website it just works. I’ve figured this out with the help of ScottGu. Thanks! http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/VS-2005-Web-Application-Project-V1.0-Released.aspx Web App Project: what are the *.aspx.designer.cs files for? Website Project: how do you set up the project to use a ...

New Project vs. New Web Site (Visual Studio 2005 Pro)
I've noticed that if use choose New Project on the File menu to create an asp.net page it won't run, but if you create the same thing by clicking on New Web Site it works ok. What differences are there other than one works and one doesn't? New project is usualy for windows form, so I'm not sure what you mean by making an asp.net page using new project... They don't get compiled the same way by default....

Converting web site project to web application in vs 2008
I am converting web site project into web applicatio project in vs 2008 and running into web reference related issue.  I am not so sure how to address this.  Our old web site application had app_webreferences folder with AllServices as sub folder and then all of the web services under that folder. for example:  AllServices\AService.wsdl  AllServices\BService.wsdl   AllServices\CService.wsdl   etc... our code references AllServices.BService in the code or AllServices.AService etc...  It seems like when I Right Clicked on web application project...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
 I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a few kinks when using the process on a VB project.  The Problem:After creating a new Web Application Project, copying in the old files, and running the "Convert to Web Application Project" process, the site would no longer build.  Any classes stored in the "Old_App_Code" folder (previously named...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a...

Converting a Web Application Project to a Web Site Project
I converted a VS 2003 web application to VS 2005 using the Web Application Project model.  Is it possible to convert this to a Web Site Project once it is upgraded to VS 2005? We don't have any automated tools to convert from VS2005 WAP to Websites.  If you really prefer to use the website model, I would recommend converting directly from VS2003 to Websites.  To do that you can open the VS2003 app using the "Open Website" command.Omar KhanVisual Web Developer Team I thought you were going to say that.  I have spent quite a bit of time getting rid of most of the warnin...

Converting a Web Site Project to a Web Application Project ?
I upgraded my .NET 1.1 apps to Web Site Projects long before this add on was released and was wondering if there's  a way to convert these Web Site Projects to Web Application Projects because I really did like the old way of just uploading one dll to the web server when updates came around.   Is there a way to do this?In this world there are 10 types of people, those that know binary and those who don't. Here are a couple of tutorials that describe how to do this: C# - http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx VB - http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBa...

Run-time problems after converting VS2005 web site to web application project
I've been reading about Web App Projects and how they eliminate the need for _vti files from FrontPage Server Extensions so I thought give it a try converting. I've read lots of stuff on this in this forum and elsewhere and I've gotten my project to build without any errors but I get failures trying to run the app. To give an idea, I have a public site for development at http://www.mortgagedataweb.com/devmdw/default.asp which resides in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\devmdw on a webserver running WinServer2003. I also have a copy of this on my desktop running WinXP at http://localho...

Conversion Error while converting from VS 2005 web site to Web application project
Hi all, I am trying to convert to WAP from Website VS 2005. I get the following error Error 3 Type 'frmXXX' already defines a member called 'Page_Load' with the same parameter types  I dont understand the error.Does this mean it compiling twice? Unable to research because of the vagueness of the error.   I followed the steps below 1) Move all the .aspx and *.cs files in new web application folder 2) Right click and convert to web application 3) rebuild the project. After following the steps above i get the error mentioned in the email   P...

Difference between Web Site project and (NEW) Web application project?
Hi there,i have been reading about the new Web application project (addon) for Visual Studio 2005, all sounds really nice but i just can't put my finger on it...Whats the differences really? And why is  one better than the other?I also read about the Visual studio 2005 Web deployment projects, which from what i can gather allows us to deploy our code like back in 2003 i..e. with a BIN directory  and dll which is the compiled code behind stuff..are these in anyway linked together?Thanks in advacne for any info..Best rregardsIan Have a look here http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...

I Have visual studio 2008 how can i convert my web project to work in visual studio 2005?
 I Have visual studio 2008 how can i convert my web project to work in visual studio 2005? where is the option to convert the project to work in vs2005 area? The best way to go about this is to create a new web application by going to:  file -> open -> website -> then select the folder that your website lies in then save the solution as a visual studio 2005 project. but i dont have in save as property, the ability to convert the project to work in visual studio 2005   ok, then lets create a new asp.net web application, then add the existing files from t...

Web resources about - How convert VS2005 site web to new Web Application Project - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

Apple patent application reveals exciting possibilities for twin-camera system rumored for iPhone 7
We heard a report in November that Apple was testing an iPhone 7 model with dual rear cameras , and a patent application published today not ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications ...
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 27 percent from ...

Mortgage applications rebound
Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis, for the week ending January 8th, versus previous week,

Capacitive touch demand on the rise for most applications
The proportion of capacitive touch is growing in segments including smartphone, tablet, notebook and all-in-one PC applications, due to reduced ...