Getting the ASP database to work

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and I've loaded the complete Professional version on my computer. I am trying to get a database set up so I can use Forms Authentication to access a web site. I have a ASPNETdb in my application that I can't access, I also have a table on our company's main SQL server that I want to use for all the user information and passwords for authenication when they log in.

 When I try and use any database it says SQL Server 2005 Express edition is not loaded on my machine but I can pull it up with my Managment studio and see it. How do I get my application to point to the database I want to use for authenication. It is in the same database as the other files I'm using for my web pages.

 Don't know if it matters or not but I'm running SQL Server Developer Edition on my computer that I'm working with.

Thanks in Advance.

0
hessw

The Membership provider is very flexible, you can change the data source which is used to stored the user information.

You can create Membership tables in another database than the standard aspnetdb.mdf. To do so, you need to create the database on SQL Server Developer Edition and then change the connection string for Membership in web.config file.

For more information, see Create Membership tables in another database than the standard aspnetdb.mdf.

I hope this helps.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
5/5/2008 5:58:20 AM

Great, Thanks for the help

0
hessw
5/5/2008 12:01:32 PM

OK,

 I''ve followed the advice and set up my connections string like was mentioned in the link that you gave me. I"ve went into my Develope Edition of SQL Server and built another database where I had all the user information, I also built anaspnetdb.mdf database on my local machine and put the path in the connection string.

 Still get the same issue when I try to click on the aspnetdb.mdf under the solution explorer I still get the message that my SQLExpress is not configured or loaded yet I can see it. when I go to my server explorer I can pull the database up and see all the tables.

 When I try and go to the ASP Net Configuration to set up the security it either can't find the database or says something is wrong in my connection string. Here is what I currently have in my web.config as part of my connection string.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

<add name="Elementary Login" connectionString="Data Source=dcwaynehess;Initial Catalog=&quot;Elementary Assessments&quot;;Integrated Security=True"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<remove name ="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="DataSource=Zeus;Initial Catalog =&quot;Elementary Assessments&quot;;Integrated Security=True"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<add name="Zeus" connectionString="DataSource=DCWAYNEHESS\SQLEXPRESS; AttachDbFilename= C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\aspnetdb.mdf&quot;; IntegratedSecurity=True" />

</connectionStrings>

<system.web>

<authentication mode="Forms">

<forms loginUrl="login.aspx" name="adAuthCookie" timeout="30" path="/">

</forms>

</authentication>

<authorization>

<deny users="?"/>

<allow users="*"/>

</authorization>

0
hessw

hessw:

 When I try and go to the ASP Net Configuration to set up the security it either can't find the database or says something is wrong in my connection string. Here is what I currently have in my web.config as part of my connection string.

<remove name ="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="DataSource=Zeus;Initial Catalog =&quot;Elementary Assessments&quot;;Integrated Security=True"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<add name="Zeus" connectionString="DataSource=DCWAYNEHESS\SQLEXPRESS; AttachDbFilename= C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\aspnetdb.mdf&quot;; IntegratedSecurity=True" />

</connectionStrings>

Thanks for your response.

Since you have removed the default LocalSqlServer and use the SQL database as LocalSqlServer,  you need to make sure that the new connection string is correct. Please check

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="DataSource=Zeus;Initial Catalog =&quot;Elementary Assessments&quot;;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

You can get help on connection string from http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=sqlserver2005

I hope this helps.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas

Getting Errors on visual studio .NET 2005 still it is working.
Im getting this errors but when u try to run it its ok. here the html source code.1 <%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="MasterAdmin.master" AutoEventWireup="false"2 CodeFile="orders.aspx.vb" Inherits="orders" %>3 4 <asp:Content ID="corder" runat="server" ContentPlaceHolderID="Main">5   6 <asp:GridView ID="GVorders" runat="server" AllowPaging="True" AutoGenerateColumns="False"7 BackColor="White" B...

Getting LINQ to work in Visual Studio 2005 (Changing .NET version to 3.5)
 Hello, I have a server that is running Window Server 2003 with Visual Studio 2005. I have installed the .net 3.5 framework on this box.I developed some LINQ to SQL pages on my Vista machine running VSTS 2008. When I uploaded the files to the server running Visual Studio I received an error that said it could not find the System.Data.LINQ namespace. I went into the project and added a reference to this namespace; problem sovled.The next error that came up was as follow:Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Objects' does not exist in the namespace ...

i am getting problem when i am connecting to database sql server 2005 from visual studio 2005
 the error is "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"mine is a windows authentication server.  Hi v_badhra,see this article:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;914277 Samu ZhangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the pos...

from Visual Studio .NET to Visual studio 2005 (VB)
Good evening, i hame one quistion about diffrenece Visual studio 2005 and older version.In Visual studio .NET to work with table from data base i do next steps:1. Create new connection to data base in data explorer2. Push my table from data explorer to my form, and master automatically create two components (SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter)3. Add to from new object - Dataset for transering data to client application (i amke a web service) and execute command from menu Data | Generate DataSet, then in Dialog box i Add this dataset to the designerThat's itThe quistion is how to do this st...

Can I Have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 together?
Hi everyone. Can I have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 installed in the same machine? I want to install Studio 2005 but I do not want to uninstall Studio.NET yet. Thanks!C# I am running VS 2003 and VS 2005 together with no problems.Martin Lawrence, MCSE, CNE, A+ Recut Technologies Ltd. http://www.recut.com Yes, they can be installed side-by-side. I have it installed side-by-side on my computer and it works perfectly without any conflicts. I even think there is a Version Selector (not something you have to install as it is installed by default) which will make sure your pro...

Running Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 on the same machine.
Hi there,   I have many projects i develop and continue to maintain on my server. Visual Studio .NET 2003 is currently installed and is what i use to do this. I'd really like to install Visual Studio 2005 and give that a whirl on the same machine, and perhaps develop upcoming sites with it also.I understand that upon installation of VS 2005 it will install the 2.0 Framework. Will this effect my 1.1 sites at all? Does the 2.0 Framework upgrade the 1.1 framework, or does it leave the 1.1 framework intact so older projects can still use it?Any advice would be welcome! :)Thanks,Cr...

Visual Studio 2005 Pro / Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro ?
Ok I have enough money now to purchase Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro but what do you think guys, is it too late? Do I need to wait til Visual Studio 2005 is officially release? If you suggest me to wait, so I will still use my Visual Studio.NET Pro 60 days trial edition. After the trial reach its limit, I will reformat my HD and install my Windows + Visual Studio Trial again. Yeah this is make me tired but I dont need to spend 600 bucks again for upgrade. or perhaps I will use MSDN Subscription Pro but I hope Visual Studio 2005 Pro will release before my subscription is expired. ...

Managed DLL is not working after migrating from Visual Studio 2002 to Visual Studio 2005
Hi All, I am using managed code in my application. I have one sample cs file which is using this managed dll to communicate with C++ DLL further. It was working fine till VS 2002. I have just migrated my environment to VS 2005. I have migrated my projects using VS2005 migration facilty. When I am trying to run this CS sample application then it is giving following such messages.Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException  System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8 007007F): The specified procedure could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007F)  Basically...

Visual Studio "Orcas" Visual Studio.net "2005"
What are Microsoft on weed??? Whidby Orcas Indigo XAML Longhorn What are they trying to do to us developers. The transition to any new tools should be minimal. What we know about WebServices is now old bunk. Why did we bother with .net 1.1???????? Now we need to learn new silly names and new ways of doing things. Yes .net 1.1 is still supported in v2.0. But there are a million and one other needless things that we will have pushed onto us. Only to find in anther two years that they are old hat and there are new radical ways to do what we want.MCAD.Net vb.n...

Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition beta VS Visual Studio.net 2003
Is Visual C# 2005 Express Edition Beta better than Visual Studio.net 2003 ? HighOnCodingWanna get high! in my opinon no. vs.net 2003 is a released application, and is used for more than just c#. visual studio whidbey beta is pretty cool except it's a little quirky still. I swear I can't wait til august.Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? What are the odds of anything actually being released in august? Zero. Is Visual C# 20...

I Have visual studio 2008 how can i convert my web project to work in visual studio 2005?
 I Have visual studio 2008 how can i convert my web project to work in visual studio 2005? where is the option to convert the project to work in vs2005 area? The best way to go about this is to create a new web application by going to:  file -> open -> website -> then select the folder that your website lies in then save the solution as a visual studio 2005 project. but i dont have in save as property, the ability to convert the project to work in visual studio 2005   ok, then lets create a new asp.net web application, then add the existing files from t...

Web resources about - Getting the ASP database to work - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

Five million customers affected by Vtech database hack
Toy and educational material seller Vtech has revealed five million customers were affected by a hack of its app database and has also suspended ...

Old database dump from Nexus Mods circulating in criminal circles: Change password
Nexus Mods, a gaming site which has mods for 216 games , warned users about a “ potential database breach ” after a Reddit user was alerted by ...

Change your passwords: NexusMods suffers database breach
... security breach by posts on reddit. Cybersecurity firm REN-ISAC had apparently contacted several university IT departments about a database ...

VTech Admits Lack of Database Security Opened Door to Hack
A SQL injection, a common software flaw, was found to be the root cause in the VTech breach.

Animal Venom Database Could Be Boon To Drug Development
A new public database that catalogs animal toxins could spur the development of new drugs made with compounds found in animal venom.