Difference Between VS 2005 Web Application & Web Site

Hi,

 I am new to VS 2005, pls let me know the difference between Visual studio 2005 Web Application & Web site

What is the difference? Which one is better?

Thanks,

Ganesh

0
GaneshiNautix

If you are not very familiar with Visual Studio 2005, a "web site" and "web application project" may sound the same for you.

Microsoft introduced the concept of "website" instead of "web application" in Visual Studio 2005. However, due to demand from the development community, they re introduced the "web Application Project" which is pretty much similar to Visual Studio 2003 web application.

Web site in Visual Studio 2005

A web site is just a group of all files in a folder and sub folders. There is no project file. All files under the specific folder - including your word documents, text files, images etc are part of the web site.

You have to deploy all files including source files (unless you pre compile them) to the server. Files are compiled dynamically during run time.

To create a "web site", you need to use the menu File > New > Website

You will have the option to choose either one of the following location types:

  • File System - Allows you to choose a folder to put all the files.
  • Http - Allows you to choose a virtual directory to put the files.
  • FTP - Allows you to choose an ftp location.

    In any of the above cases, no project file is created automatically. Visual Studio considers all files under the folder are part of the web site.

    There will be no single assembly created and you will nto see a "Bin" folder.

    The benefits of this model is, you do not need a project file or virtual directory to open a project. It is very handy when you share or download code from the internet. You just need to copy the downloaded code into a folder and you are ready to go!

    How to open a web site, if there is no project file?

    It looks bit confusing until you get familiar with the Visual Studio 2005 programming model.

    To open a web site (which do not have a project file), you need to first open Visual Studio 2005 and choose the menu File > Open > Website. It allows you to select a folder (not a project file). Thats all you have to do to view all the files part of the web site.

    Disadvantages of web site model

    Since there is no project file, there is nothing that you can double click to open the web site in Visual Studio for editing. You have to open Visual Studio first and then open the site from VS2005.

    Another disadvantage is, all files under the folder and considered to be part of the web site. There are lot of legacy web sites where more than one web site is combined into one folder, but properly managed the files by including them in appropriate projects. With the new model, since there is no project file, all files are considered to be part of the same website.

    How to exclude a file from a web site in VS2005?

    Many programmers keep lot of document files and backup files under the project folder. With the new model, they are all part of the web site. If you have backup files which has same class names, you may get compilation problems when they are compiled dynamically sicne they will be treated as duplicate classes. The only way you can exclude a file from the website within the same directory is by renaming them with the extension .exclude

    Web Application Project in Visual Studio 2005

    Microsoft introduced the "web site" concept where all files under a web site are part of the site, hoping that the development community is going to love that. In fact, this is very usefull to share code.

    However, they did not consider millions of existing web applications where people are comfortable with the "project" based application. Also, there were lot of web applications where several un wanted files were kept under the web site folder. So, the new model did not work well for them.

    When people started screaming, Microsoft came up with the answer. On April 7, 2006, they announced "Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects" as an Add-On to Visual Studio 2005. This Add-On will allow you to create and use web applications just like the way it used to be in Visual Studio 2003.

    The Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project model uses the same project, build and compilation method as the Visual Studio .NET 2003 web project model.

    All code files within the project are compiled into a single assembly that is built and copied in the Bin directory.

    All files contained within the project are defined within a project file (as well as the assembly references and other project meta-data settings). Files under the web's file-system root that are not defined in the project file are not considered part of the web project.

    Which is best for me - Web site or web application project?

    Both has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

    A web site is good for you if you just want to create web sites and share with others. It is ideal for new projects.

    However, "web application project" is better if you are planning to migrate your Visual Studio 2003 or 2002 web sites into Visual Studio 2005. Otherwise you may end up spending lot of time to exclude unwanted files from your web site folder.

  • Best Of Luck .........
    0
    Nitin

    Visual Web Developer 2005 Express VS Visual Studio 2005
    Hi all - name of this thread says it all. What's the difference between the free app (that i've decided that I should be using over Dreamweaver) on the asp.net website, and the full, paid-up Visual Studio 2005? I realise VS2005 allows the coding of applications and completely web-unrelated things, but what does it do in the 'web world' that VWD2005 Express doesn't? Thanks!Ramic Solutions Hi all - you can ignore this thread - discovered the search button :-)Ramic Solutions...

    Migrating from VS 2005 Web Site Projects to VS 2005 Web Application Projects witn vb and c# code
    I've tring to migrate Web Site to Web Aplication in VS 2005. In my Web Site I have pages written using VB and C#. During converting to WA i choose VB and only pages with VB code i can migrate. If I choose C# as language for WA only pages with C# I can migrate. Is a way to migrate Web Site with mix of VB and C# code? Wieslaw Hi, As far as I know, The ASP.NET Web application doesn't support that C# application project contains VB page or VB application project contains C# page. But it can compile the different language class file in project. In your case, you can tr...

    Difference between Web Application Project and Web Site in VS 2005
    Hi There,  Please don't hit me if i ask this basic question - What is the difference between Web Application Project and Web Site in VS 2005?  I usually go ahead with a Website in VS but recently tried the Web Application Project and I saw a properties folder.  What is the use of that section? Anybody with descriptive post or link to a resource, would be of great help to clear the mist in empty head..Siva SenthilMy Share My Discoveryhttp://siva-senthil.stumbleupon.comhttp://del.icio.us/ksivasenthilPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you ...

    Converting a VS 2005 Web Application to a VS .NET 2003 Web Application
    Well it seems that I am going against the stream here, but one of our clients wants the web application I wrote in Visual Studio 2005 to be deployed using Visual Studio .NET 2003. What's the best way to go about this without rewriting the whole dang thing? I would probably create a new 2003 project, copy all of your aspx and other files into it, attempt a build and see what happens.  If you didn't use a lot of the new controls (like membership, personalization, masterpages etc, then you will probably be ok with just minor changes.  If you did rely on a lot of the newer c...

    VS.NET 2005 & Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
    I'm currently working on VWD using C#, and i'm planning to study MCTS, so i'm wondering if there's major differences between both in Web field.Thank you aloti need a creative atmosphere Not for what you're doing.JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

    Visual Studio 2005 Vs Visual Web Developer 2005
     Hi,I am thinking of getting my hands dirty on .NET programming, I have been exclusively doing web development using Coldfusion until now, thinking of learning .Net as I see more promising career in .NET in my area.Please bear with me, my question is very basic, I have being using eclipse until now, and have been spoiled by its flexibilityOk, I bought a book, I want to try some coding, so now I am stuck with choosing an IDE. My understanding is that the express edition for visual studio has 3 IDEs (C#, VB.NET, Web Developer), but the actual visual studio that one has to pay for is just ...

    Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005
     Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005 What are the main benefits of using a Web App project over a Website project or vice-versa? Web App Project: You have to jump through hoops to use edit and continue with a Web App where in a website it just works. I’ve figured this out with the help of ScottGu. Thanks! http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/VS-2005-Web-Application-Project-V1.0-Released.aspx Web App Project: what are the *.aspx.designer.cs files for? Website Project: how do you set up the project to use a ...

    Differences between Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2005?
    What are the differences between Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and Visual Studio 2005?I can't find a listing of the differences anywhere on Microsofts site. http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/This link described the express editions.  And from this FAQ:The Express products are designed for hobbyists, students, and novice developers. As such, they lack the full breadth of features found in higher-end editions of Visual Studio and are designed specifically for scenarios common to the hobbyist, student, and novice developer. Each Express product includes targeted documenta...

    Visual Studio 2005 vs Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
    Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between  Visual Studio.NET 2005 and Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition from an ASP.NET(VB) developer point of view?Thank you! For starters, Visual Web Developer Express includes only the portions of Visual Studio that pertain directly to creating Web sites. For example, you can't create Windows Forms projects or class library projects, etc. The rule of thumb there is that in Visual Studio you can create multi-project solutions, whereas in Visual Web Developer Express you can create only Web site projects. Within the ...

    VS. 2003 => VS 2005 Web Site => Web Application Project?
    Hi We converted our VS 2003 solution which contained 2 web application and 5 Class Lib projects to the standard Web site 2005 model. Now. Is there a way to convert from this to the new Web Application model automatically? Thanks in regards Anders   Via Scott Guthrie:  If you want to migrate an existing VS 2005 Web Site Project to be a VS 2005 Web Application Project, please also review these other VB and C# migration tutorials that walkthrough the Web Site to Web Application conversion process step-by-step.  This article here also describes some of the diff...

    Web Site to Web Application 2005 and Web References
    I'm trying to convert a VS 2005 Web Site  Project to a VS 2005 Web Application Project, I have followed http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx, which works fine for most objects but it does not convert the Web References.I can add them manually, however I need to ensure that the Web Reference Name is the same for all my Web Services, this is to ensure that I can used Shared Types.  The problem is on VS 2005 Web Application it renames the Web Reference Name to Localhost1, localhost2 etc. Any ideas how I can get over this?Regards <<<Bryan...

    Web resources about - Difference Between VS 2005 Web Application & Web Site - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

    Application developers struggle to adapt to changing licensing models
    Application producers are aware of rapid change impacting their ability to make money from their software products, but they're not adopting ...

    MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
    From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Slightly Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 0.2 percent from one week ...

    Mortgage applications down 0.2%

    LED market saturation to drive industry to seek profits in new applications in 2016, says LEDinside
    According to LEDinside, LED makers had an especially tough year in 2015. "Despite rising LED lighting market demand and the large scale replacement ...