Copy Web Site Visual Studio 2005

I have a Web Site that I developed on a old laptop from which I used to copy the web site to the web server. Recently I was given a new laptop on which I start to work. I have set up the same web site on this new laptop and done some new work on it. Now as I need to copy the new work to the web server, I see a bunch of question marks on the left of both panes. Please advise what I should do? Thanks.

Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer"
0
thuhue

thuhue:
Now as I need to copy the new work to the web server, I see a bunch of question marks on the left of both panes. Please advise what I should do?

Hi thuhue,

I’m afraid I cannot understand your concern exactly. Visual Studio 2005 has its build-in lightweight development server so that we can copy/move the folder of web project easily without remapping the virtual directory in IIS.

So please describe more detailed about the issue of “see a bunch of question marks on the left of both panes”. I think a screenshot will be great helpful. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
Benson Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Benson
11/1/2007 8:59:01 AM

The web site used to be served by an older development box. I guess that confuses the new developemnt laptop and question marks display and all files are tagged "new" in both panes. I just copy files from the development laptop to the web server. The next thing I want to try is "Publish web site". Should I "Publish web site" after "Copy web site" or do only one of the two? Thanks.

Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer"
0
thuhue
11/1/2007 5:10:30 PM

Hi thuhue,

Just choose one utility.  Please let me introduce a little about the Copy Web Site Tool and Publish Web Site Utility.

    * Copy Web Site Tool is appropriate for web site project. You can right click the project in Solution Explorer, and then select “Copy Web Site…”. This tool just copy files of your project to the remote server, those files will be dynamically compiled by ASP.NET at runtime.

    * Publish Web Site Utility is available for web site project and web application. You can right click the project in Solution Explorer, and then select “Publish Web Site” or “Publish…”. This tool not only copies the need files to the remote server, but also compiles the web site.

For your reference, the following link includes detailed information about these tools. I hope it is helpful to you.

Web Site Deployment in Visual Web Developer
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5c12ykae(VS.80).aspx

In addition, after you copy the project to another machine, the timestamps of the files are changed, so that files on the client and the server are all tagged as “new”. For more information about the synchronize files feature provided by Copy Web Site tool, please see this link at your convenience.

Copying Web Sites with the Copy Web Site Tool
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1cc82atw(VS.80).aspx

Sincerely,
Benson Yu
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
0
Benson

Visual Studio 2005 Copy Web Site and VSS 2005 Integration
I am using a VS2005 Web Site project (BlogEngine.Net). This project is under VSS 2005 source control. I use the VS2005 Copy Web Site feature to upload changes to my remote host via FTP. This works fine. I make some configuration changes on the hosted site using a web browser and then try to Copy a resulting xml file from the remote site back to my Visual Studio 2005/VSS 2005 working folder hoping that the copy Web Site feature would check out the local file and replace it with the one copied from the remote site. According to the VS 2005 copy Web Site status and log the copy transaction...

from Visual Studio .NET to Visual studio 2005 (VB)
Good evening, i hame one quistion about diffrenece Visual studio 2005 and older version.In Visual studio .NET to work with table from data base i do next steps:1. Create new connection to data base in data explorer2. Push my table from data explorer to my form, and master automatically create two components (SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter)3. Add to from new object - Dataset for transering data to client application (i amke a web service) and execute command from menu Data | Generate DataSet, then in Dialog box i Add this dataset to the designerThat's itThe quistion is how to do this st...

Visual Studio 2005 Express/Visual Studio 2005 Same Language Support
I know the Visual Studio 2005 is much better than it's Express edition, but can they produce the same results in the end?  By that, I mean that you can use the exact same code in the Express edition and it will build the same as Visual Studio 2005, and the language support is the same (everything bit of code that works on VS 2005 will also work on VS 2005 Express)?VDesign Yes, projects and files are fully interchangeable. Express editions lack some IDE/UI features, but code you write will work everywhere.Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is...

Visual Studio 2005 vs. Visual Studio 2005 BETA 2
In terms of functionality and features, I was wondering whether there any major differences between Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 Beta2. Thanks From the C# Windows Apps & Web Apps - pecadillos more than anything.  I have several sizeable projects in bothe.g. MDI child/parent Mensu/toolstrips no longer automergesome complaints about rafting property that no longer exists in Windows forms controlsIf it was easy, everybody would be doing it. The primary difference was mainly a lot of bug fixes.  Two areas that we enhanced were website projects and ...

Can I Have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 together?
Hi everyone. Can I have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 installed in the same machine? I want to install Studio 2005 but I do not want to uninstall Studio.NET yet. Thanks!C# I am running VS 2003 and VS 2005 together with no problems.Martin Lawrence, MCSE, CNE, A+ Recut Technologies Ltd. http://www.recut.com Yes, they can be installed side-by-side. I have it installed side-by-side on my computer and it works perfectly without any conflicts. I even think there is a Version Selector (not something you have to install as it is installed by default) which will make sure your pro...

Visual Studio 2005 Vs Visual Web Developer 2005
 Hi,I am thinking of getting my hands dirty on .NET programming, I have been exclusively doing web development using Coldfusion until now, thinking of learning .Net as I see more promising career in .NET in my area.Please bear with me, my question is very basic, I have being using eclipse until now, and have been spoiled by its flexibilityOk, I bought a book, I want to try some coding, so now I am stuck with choosing an IDE. My understanding is that the express edition for visual studio has 3 IDEs (C#, VB.NET, Web Developer), but the actual visual studio that one has to pay for is just ...

Visual studio 2005 express vs Visual studio 2005 standard or pro
Hi allIm not sure if you will be able to answer my question. Im using express version of visual basic, which has a particular pain in the you no where limitation. I cannot through the database explorer connect to a remote sql express 2005. I no this is a limitation. I have looked at the option of buying Visual studio however I only need the VB module. From what I see you have to buy the whole version, which contains C#, JSP and more. I do not need them. I do not see the point of paying for all the modules but I only use VB. QuestionsCan you buy them seperately.Is there another workaroun...

Installing Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 With Visual Studio 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 On Machine
I recently completed a successful installation of Visual Studio 2005 on my machine that had Visual Studio 2003 on it already.  I am interested in the beta of Visual Studio 2008, but I'm not sure if there will be conflicts with the previous versions.  Has anyone done this successfully?  Are there any special steps that need to happen for these three development environments to exist together?You can't stop entropy so why even try? I have installed it on my machine but havent had any problems until now though I have not done a lot of work on 2008 yet. This is the only ...

Visual Studio 2005 Pro / Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro ?
Ok I have enough money now to purchase Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro but what do you think guys, is it too late? Do I need to wait til Visual Studio 2005 is officially release? If you suggest me to wait, so I will still use my Visual Studio.NET Pro 60 days trial edition. After the trial reach its limit, I will reformat my HD and install my Windows + Visual Studio Trial again. Yeah this is make me tired but I dont need to spend 600 bucks again for upgrade. or perhaps I will use MSDN Subscription Pro but I hope Visual Studio 2005 Pro will release before my subscription is expired. ...

Running Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 on the same machine.
Hi there,   I have many projects i develop and continue to maintain on my server. Visual Studio .NET 2003 is currently installed and is what i use to do this. I'd really like to install Visual Studio 2005 and give that a whirl on the same machine, and perhaps develop upcoming sites with it also.I understand that upon installation of VS 2005 it will install the 2.0 Framework. Will this effect my 1.1 sites at all? Does the 2.0 Framework upgrade the 1.1 framework, or does it leave the 1.1 framework intact so older projects can still use it?Any advice would be welcome! :)Thanks,Cr...

Web resources about - Copy Web Site Visual Studio 2005 - asp.net.visual-studio-2005

Visual Basic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Visual Basic was derived from BASIC and enables the rapid application development (RAD) of graphical user interface (GUI) applications, access ...

Microsoft’s Android emulator coming soon to Mac as it open-sources Visual Studio Code
During Microsoft’s Connect 2015 event today live from New York, the company announced it is open-sourcing its Visual Studio Code program for ...

The Secret to Collaboration: Visual Technology Plus In-Person Interactions
Collaborating with colleagues in one office can be a challenge in and of itself. Add in co-workers spread across other cities, states and countries, ...

Visual Studio now supports debugging Linux apps; Code editor now open source
The Visual Studio Code editor, now open source, editing TypeScript on OS X. (credit: Microsoft) NEW YORK—Developers can now debug apps running ...

How to Stop Visual Hacking. Yes, That’s a Thing!
... you or your company from the high-tech hackers of the world, but it means nothing if someone can simply steal information with a glance. Visual ...

How to use Maps To Make Your Blog More Visual
... a topic or piece of content that has to do with places and locations. Nowadays (and often in the olden days), readers gravitate towards visual ...

Visual Effects On ‘The Martian,’ ‘Ant-Man’ And ‘The Walk’ Stand Out In Blockbuster Year For VFX
It's been a transformative year for the art of visual effects , demonstrated not only by the increasingly ordinary and realistic depiction of ...

The Good Dinosaur's Visual Grandeur Makes Up For Its Lack Of Wit
One of the constant accolades Pixar receives about its movies is that they’re not made just for kids. This is meant as a compliment: While they’re ...

A couple of age-gated visual novels are on sale on Steam
... ass god damn Clannad eyes got me thinking; I'm not sure about what, but I'll get back to you if I figure it out. Anyways, a couple more visual ...

Microsoft Integrates IncrediBuild Into Visual Studio 2015 Update 1
The integration of IncrediBuild into Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 provides enhanced acceleration and build visualization to users of the IDE. ...