"Web Application" Project Information

Microsoft has recommended that we switch our project to use the Web Application Project, currently being worked on by Scott Guthrie, rather than the new model in Visual Studio 2005.  The reason for this basically is that we have a very large project and it takes about 15 minutes to do a compile.

I'm wondering what we lose if we move to a WAP project.  Can we still precompile our project so that performance is better for the users?

In VS.NET 2003 we had an issue where Visual Studio would lock up the data access .dll after doing a get latest version from source control and we would have to restart Visual Studio to get it to go away, we haven't had this problem yet in 2005 so I'm wondering if it may come back if we make the switch.

Basically I'm just wondering what we might lose and what we might gain by making this switch.

Thanks,

Greg

0
Greg_D

Hi Greg,

We are going to have a whitepaper out that describes the pros and cons of each project option and will help provide more guidance to folks.  Note that both options will be fully supported going forward -- so there is safety in choosing either.

You will be able to still pre-compile sites using the VS 2005 Web Application Project -- so to answer your specific question above, that is still fully supported.

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu
3/24/2006 2:27:17 AM

That's great news.  Thanks Scott.

Is the whitepaper going to be available with the feature complete release?

Greg

0
Greg_D
3/27/2006 11:38:22 PM

Hi Greg,

Yep -- we are targetting to have the whitepaper released around that same time too.

Thanks,

Scott

0
ScottGu

Visual Studio "Orcas" Visual Studio.net "2005"
What are Microsoft on weed??? Whidby Orcas Indigo XAML Longhorn What are they trying to do to us developers. The transition to any new tools should be minimal. What we know about WebServices is now old bunk. Why did we bother with .net 1.1???????? Now we need to learn new silly names and new ways of doing things. Yes .net 1.1 is still supported in v2.0. But there are a million and one other needless things that we will have pushed onto us. Only to find in anther two years that they are old hat and there are new radical ways to do what we want.MCAD.Net vb.n...

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

How to uninstall "Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project Preview"
How to uninstall "Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project Preview" Go to Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs. -- Bash This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights....

The new "Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects (RC1)"
are there any further readme's or instructions on how to use the new features in this package?  Some of the features sound interesting but I don't know where to find them in vs.thanks,http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wap/default.aspxPeter Kellnerhttp://73rdstreet.com and blogging athttp://PeterKellner.netMVP, ASP.NET Did you check out Scott Guthrie's blog post here?http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/04/05/442032.aspxHe has tons of links to additional info as well.Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it help...

Upgrading from "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" to "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2"
Newby question: I am learning ASP.NET and downloaded "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" in order to practice and learn the ropes.I just received "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2" and would like to upgrade. However, I haven't found any reference to removing "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" before installing "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2".Should I remove it?What do I need to back up before doing so?Thanks in advance,Ira I believe you can install VS on top of VWD. They, in fact, can coexits (although they will share some files).Thanks----------------------------------...

Visual Studio 2005 Profiler "Launch Error: The web.config file xxx\web.config has been changed and backup information was lost."
Hi,  I am experiencing this error when trying to start a Visual Studio 2005 profiling session (Instrumentation) for my ASP.NET 2.0 web application.  I could not find any information regarding this issue and have no idea what might cause the problem, as the Visual Studio 2005 profiler already worked with that very same application, a couple of weeks ago. Anyone? Thanks in advance! Hello, Can you tell me if you found a solution for the issue because I'm experimenting the same issue ? Thanks !...

In Visual Studio 2005 whats difference between "new Project" and "new website".
In Visual Studio 2005 whats difference between "new Project" and "new website".  Is new project for non web realted stuff.   Hi Parms,New Project enables you to add projects to your solution for non-web related projects -- for example: windows applications, class libraries, etc.  New Website adds a project specific to web UI developmnet.Hope this helps,Scott Hi Scott --On a related subject: I've got a VS 2003 solution with three web apps. The third web app is really just a library of classes that are shared between the other two web apps.app_1: a real web app (references ...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

error message: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create the application <application>. The likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local Web server."
after enabling ssl using iis certificate services, creating and installing server and client certificates; i encountered this message when i try to reopen the project in vs 2003. how to work with ssl web apps in vs.net. please reply asap......

Visual Studio 2005. "Quick Find", "Quick Replace", "Find in Files", "Replace in Files" functionality no longer works
Hello, I just run into problem that find functionality is no longer working in Visual Studio 2005. "Quick Find", "Quick Replace", "Find in Files", "Replace in Files" functionality no longer responds. These are necessary functions when build any website. Any solutions on how to fix this problem?Improving lifestyles for luxury pets: TheFabulousPet In Menu bar click Window -> Reset Window Layout. It solves the problem.Improving lifestyles for luxury pets: TheFabulousPet...

Web application project or Web site project which is "better"?
Hi,We are a bit confused as to which web project type is best to use.Currently we have a number of large projects in the old style with .vbproj files. These have been upgraded to VS2008 web application projects. Compilation seems slower of upgraded projects than created from scratch web site projects. I do get the impression MS is pushing the new style format for future releases.What are the advantages/disadvantages of the new web site project?Where do references get stored in the new style project?Where do the control declarations get hidden in partial classes?Thanks, Alex ...

Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005
 Website Project vs. Web Application Project in Visual Studio.net 2005 What are the main benefits of using a Web App project over a Website project or vice-versa? Web App Project: You have to jump through hoops to use edit and continue with a Web App where in a website it just works. I’ve figured this out with the help of ScottGu. Thanks! http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/05/08/VS-2005-Web-Application-Project-V1.0-Released.aspx Web App Project: what are the *.aspx.designer.cs files for? Website Project: how do you set up the project to use a ...

Error: "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server" when running a local web project
I get the above error when I try to run my project.  Any ideas what the configuration of the computer needs to be in order to run VS2005's local web server? Ok, the problem is that I apparently don't have the executable on my machine.  Does anyone know how I can reinstall this executable?  I've tried to repair my .NET studio installation, but no luck. I got same proplem , did you solve it ? if you .. please help me Thanks Top Systems Inc.Coding ServicesBooks Download I accidentally hit my firewall program to block the web server application.  When I fig...

Web resources about - "Web Application" Project Information - asp.net.visual-studio-2005