"Visual Web Developer Web Server" and Web Services

I like the new "Visual Web Developer Web Server" (Do you want suggestions for a longer name!) but I have an issue with using it to host a Web Service.

Whenever the Web Service is recompiled and run it ends up with a different port number. Therefore, it seems that any references to that WS in other applications are invalidated and need to be re-established when it's run again.
Is there a way of pinning the port number, or am I missing something?
Cheers
Nick Grattan,

MSDN Regional Director, Ireland.

Software Paths Limited.
0
NickGrattan

Hi Nick,

the internal server is used for locale testing purposes only. If you want to use Web Services you should better use the integrated IIS support which works very similar to what you know from the existing VS.NET versions.
HTH
Patrick
0
pl
11/9/2003 6:10:00 PM
You could change so you don’t use the new web server feature if you are building web services.

In the WebSites menu choose "Set Browser location" and choose Use custom URL.

/Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitter

Microsoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCT

ASPInsiders
My Blog
0
Fredrik
11/9/2003 6:25:13 PM
In the alpha build, the port number in the built-in test server is always random so its not super useful in building web services if you have a test harness to test the service out.

In beta we'll be fixing this by providing project-to-project references between any project and a web service project. This will garuantee that any web references made to the web service project automatically get the URL fixed up if the port number changes on the web service. In beta we will also keep the port number fixed for file-based projects to help reduce the updates that need to happen to the web reference.

Omar Khan
Visual Web Developer Team
0
omar_k
11/11/2003 8:15:35 PM
I am using local non-.Net clients for testing my Web Services.   I also don't have IIS installed.  It would be nice if you allowed the developer to overide the port number chosen.  I don't see why this is so hard or un-desirable,
0
jjct1

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

Upgrading from "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" to "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2"
Newby question: I am learning ASP.NET and downloaded "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" in order to practice and learn the ropes.I just received "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2" and would like to upgrade. However, I haven't found any reference to removing "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" before installing "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2".Should I remove it?What do I need to back up before doing so?Thanks in advance,Ira I believe you can install VS on top of VWD. They, in fact, can coexits (although they will share some files).Thanks----------------------------------...

"visual web developer does not support creating web sites on a Sharepoint Web Server"
I get this message when I try to create a web site using VS2005 using HTTP, not the file system. "visual web developer does not support creating web sites on a Sharepoint Web Server". Anyone know how to fix this?  Thanks Added info for the above post:I am running Windows XP locally and simply am trying to create a web site in VS2005 using HTTP.  I am not using Visual Web Developer, nor do I have it installed on my machine.The error message mentions Visual Web Developer, so I wanted to clarify that I'm running VS2005 and not VWD.Thanks This is the third report I've s...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

Changing "virtual path" of Visual Web Developer Web Server
I'm developing a web application and want to avoid having to use a virtual path when executing the internal web server. Currently I have a web site named "website". When I start the web server it will automatically setup a server on some port e.g. 269 and with a virtual path of "website". So I'm able to access the site via: http://localhost:269/website However I would like to access it via this url instead: http://localhost:269/ and I can't see it should be a problem since the port is unique. I need this in order to use absolute paths in my HTML pages. ...

Error: "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server" when running a local web project
I get the above error when I try to run my project.  Any ideas what the configuration of the computer needs to be in order to run VS2005's local web server? Ok, the problem is that I apparently don't have the executable on my machine.  Does anyone know how I can reinstall this executable?  I've tried to repair my .NET studio installation, but no luck. I got same proplem , did you solve it ? if you .. please help me Thanks Top Systems Inc.Coding ServicesBooks Download I accidentally hit my firewall program to block the web server application.  When I fig...

Visual Studio "Orcas" Visual Studio.net "2005"
What are Microsoft on weed??? Whidby Orcas Indigo XAML Longhorn What are they trying to do to us developers. The transition to any new tools should be minimal. What we know about WebServices is now old bunk. Why did we bother with .net 1.1???????? Now we need to learn new silly names and new ways of doing things. Yes .net 1.1 is still supported in v2.0. But there are a million and one other needless things that we will have pushed onto us. Only to find in anther two years that they are old hat and there are new radical ways to do what we want.MCAD.Net vb.n...

Visual Studio 2005 Profiler "Launch Error: The web.config file xxx\web.config has been changed and backup information was lost."
Hi,  I am experiencing this error when trying to start a Visual Studio 2005 profiling session (Instrumentation) for my ASP.NET 2.0 web application.  I could not find any information regarding this issue and have no idea what might cause the problem, as the Visual Studio 2005 profiler already worked with that very same application, a couple of weeks ago. Anyone? Thanks in advance! Hello, Can you tell me if you found a solution for the issue because I'm experimenting the same issue ? Thanks !...

Publishing "Personal Web Site Starter Kit", Visual Web Developer 2005 on IIS 5.1 in Windows XP 2002 sp2
Dear IIS GurusI am trying to publish the "Personal Web Site Starter Kit" provided as an example with "Visual Web Developer 2005"  as a Virtual Directory on IIS 5.1. I host IIS 5.1 on my development mashine running Windows XP professional 2002 with service pack 2.On browsing the virtual directory I get the following error message: "Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing th...

ERROR: "Visual Web Developer does not support opening Sharepoint web sites." HELP
Hi all, I am having trouble opening/creating a web site on a server running sharepoint services.I am opening/creating an ASP.Net website using Visual Studio 2005. I'm on my development machine running Windows XP.The server I am trying to open/create it on is a Windows 2003 server.It is always give me this error: "Visual Web Developer does not support opening Sharepoint web sites. See help for more details".I have read read very old posts about this error, but none of the info was about to solve the problem for me.Would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with th...

Can "Add Web Reference" if web service deployed to new web site, Can't add ref if deployed to Virt Server under Default web site (Sharepoint)
I have created a web service wich I can deploy successfully to a new IIS Web, but of course I have to set the port to something other than 80 (and I'd rather just use a virtual server under the Default web). If I try to deploy my web service under the Default Web as a new virtual server, and then try to "Add a web Reference" to the service, it fails with a 404: not found error. Notes: WServer 2003 My IIS server is running Sharepoint Portal Server (SPPS)sp2.  VS2005 Any ideas? /Bob C in GRR In Sharepoint Portal Admin I had to add a Path Exclusion.  Took me a whi...

Web resources about - "Visual Web Developer Web Server" and Web Services - asp.net.visual-studio-2005