"visual web developer does not support creating web sites on a Sharepoint Web Server"

I get this message when I try to create a web site using VS2005 using HTTP, not the file system.

"visual web developer does not support creating web sites on a Sharepoint Web Server".

Anyone know how to fix this?

km5624

Added info for the above post:
I am running Windows XP locally and simply am trying to create a web site in VS2005 using HTTP.  I am not using Visual Web Developer, nor do I have it installed on my machine.

The error message mentions Visual Web Developer, so I wanted to clarify that I'm running VS2005 and not VWD.

km5624
12/2/2005 6:03:46 PM

This is the third report I've seen for this bug.  Is the exact text of the error message is "Visual Web developer does not support creating web sites on a Sharepoint Web Server"?  Does it mention a version number?

I'm working with a developer to find a possible cause for this bug.  We search the metabase for certain strings to make sure we aren't opening SharePoint 2.0 or higher, so maybe another string is in your metabase that is giving a false positive.

-Dan
danmor
12/2/2005 11:59:00 PM

After further investigation I found out that VWD checks the version of "owssvr.dll" to determine whether or not to display the error.  This is a dll that should only be installed by SharePoint.  A few questions:

  1. Do you have SharePoint installed?  If so you will have to create a new virtual directory using SharePoint and exclude it from SharePoint control
  2. If you don't have SharePoint installed, can you check your machine for owssvr.dll?  If it is on the machine, can you tell me the path to the dll, and the version?
  3. What OS are you running VS 2005 on?

Thanks for any feedback.

-Dan
danmor
12/3/2005 1:23:38 AM

The exact message is:

--------------------------------
Unable to create the Web 'http://mymachine/testweb'.  Visual Web Developer does not support creating Web sites on a SharePoint Web server.  See Help for more details.
---------------------------------

I have no idea where the Help is, nothing in VS help.

I don't know how this whole problem started.  But I know that I couldn't open my websites in my local iis with frontpage anymore for some reason.  I downloaded the latest FP Server Extensions on MS's site (5.0.2.4803).  This may be the cause of now not being able to create new web sites using HTTP in VS2005.  Not sure.

I am also having the same exact problem on my laptop!  So, there is definitely something going on with FPSE's and VS2005.

Maybe you could try on a test machine to configure it so you could open up websites in FP2003 from the local IIS install (ie http://mymachine/).  I've always been able to do that and then open up the FP site I wanted after that.   Then see if you can also get VS2005 to create new web sites via HTTP.

I know that I was able to create sites in VS2005 at one point via HTTP.  I really thing the FP2003 problem and then installing the latest FPSE's may be where the problem is.

km5624
12/3/2005 1:36:50 AM
I know that there working on a service pack for vs2005. I have never seen or came across this error. You might just have to wait for the service pack of contact microsoft.

-Blake Niemyjski
Blog - Website: windowscoding.com
0
Blake05
12/3/2005 1:48:25 AM

I have never installed SharePoint.  I don't even think you can on Windows XP Pro, but I could be wrong about that.

But I really think that installing FPSE's 2002 probably installs a subset of Sharepoint.

I just learned this:

If I uninstall in IIS the Server Extensions 2002, I can then create web sites using HTTP in VS2005.  So it seems that VS2005 doesn't actually use FPSE's to create the web sites.  Okay, this is great I thought, but now I can't use FP2003 to  create or open web sites.  When I try to open a site now in FP2003, I get this message "The Web Server at 'http:/myMachine' does not appear to have Windows SharePoint Services installed".

This is what leads me to believe that FPSE2002 are related to Windows Sharepoint Services.

So, I ran a search at this point for the file you asked about "owssvr.dll".  It wasn't on my machine.

I'm going to now reinstall FPSE2002 and see if I can no longer create sites with VS2005.  I get back to on that when I am done.

0
km5624
12/3/2005 1:58:51 AM

Yep, just as I suspected.

I reinstalled the FPS's 2002 and then I can open up sites with FP2003, but I can no longer get VS2005 to create sites via HTTP.

Also, after installing FPSE2002, i searched for and found "owssvr.dll" on my machine.

So, it looks like VS2005 doesn't like the latest update of the Frontpage Server Extensions that are posted on Microsoft's site.

The reason I need both FP2003 and VS2005 is that I have sites  made in both FP & VS and also clients sites made in FP2003 and VS2003(so far).  So the ability of the 2 apps to live together nicely on 1 machine is critical for me.

km5624
12/3/2005 2:14:27 AM
Okay, here is the bottom line on this bug (for me anyway)

If you are having the same problem:
1) Use the Frontpage Server Extensions 2002 so that you can use Frontpage 2003 like normal and not run into the huge number of error messages you will get if you don't use the 2002 version.

2)In VS2005, don't create web sites in VS2005 via HTTP.  Create them in IIS instead.

Unless something else pops up or there is a bug fix, that's seems to me to be the best way for the two apps to live together as of Dec 2, 2005.

km5624
12/3/2005 3:44:34 AM
I started having the same problem on my Windows Server 2003
machine.  I'm not sure exactly when it started happening, but I
resolved the problem by removing the FrontPage Server Extensions 2002
from my system, since I did not need them.
0
AFournier
12/7/2005 8:10:51 PM
Regarding #2:  You say "Create them in IIS instead."  Can you then access the web via VS2005?

/Bob C in GRR
0
Bob_Chauvin
12/7/2005 10:21:13 PM
Your server doesn't have Sharepoint installed on it, correct? It only had the FrontPage extensions.

/Bob C in GRR
0
Bob_Chauvin
12/7/2005 10:23:13 PM
Yes, after creating the sites in IIS I can then open them in VS2005.

I know it's a pain to not be able to simply use VS2005 to do it via http, but for now, thats what works for me.
0
km5624
12/7/2005 11:02:29 PM
Bob,

That's right, I do not have Sharepoint installed on my server; only the FrontPage extensions.

-Andrew

0
AFournier
12/8/2005 3:01:38 AM

OK, this is definitely a bug in VWD.  I spent a few hours testing this and here are a couple of work-arounds.  It seems that only Localhost webs are affected after installing the web download for FPSE 2002.  The bug won't repro on a default install of Windows 2003 Server, even though it has FPSE 2002.  The reason is that the web download includes a file we think is part of a SharePoint server (owssvr.dll).  I don't know what effect renaming or removing this file from the machine will have, so I will suggest the following.

  • For Open Web Site use the "Remote Site" tab, and type in the server name instead of localhost, like "http://servername/webname"
  • For New Web Site click on the 'Browse' button, select "Remote Site" tab, type in location name of web with server name "http://servername/webname", click Open to return to New Web Site dialog, click OK, and a new web site is created.

I hope these suggestions help.  We are working on a fix.

-Dan
danmor
12/8/2005 5:00:35 AM

I have this error on a WinXP SP2 machine where I first installed Visual Studio 2005 and then Visual Web Developer: everything worked great for a while, but when I decided to remove VWD this problem appeared (not sure why).

Following your discussions I found that owssrv.dll (located in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\50\isapi") is loaded by owstimer.exe, which is "SharePoint Timer Service"; I'm mot sure what it's meant do to, or what I have it on my laptop, I use it as a test machine and I can't tell exactely what (when) it's been installed.

I stopped "SharePoint Timer Service" and put it on manual startup, then renamed owssrv.dll to owssrv.dll.old (just in case I need to restore the previous configuration for some reasons) and now I'm able to create new HTTP based web applications on my localhost with Visual Studio 2005, and everything else seem to work fine...

Hope this helps, I'll update this post in case I'll find any issue with the above.

Cheers
Carlo

Carlo
0
carloc
1/25/2006 10:34:02 PM

Thanks for this fix. I have this problem on several systems and hope MSFT corrects the bug. It has been affecting quite a few folks I know. I was beta testing VS2005 and assumed the problem would go away with the release, but it didn't.

Tom Skinner [C# MVP]

0
tskinner
2/10/2006 12:52:45 AM

I had this problem;  I found the owssvr.dll in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\50\isapi

 I renamed it to remove_owssvr.dll and the problem went away ....Big Smile

0
ddanz

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

ERROR: "Visual Web Developer does not support opening Sharepoint web sites." HELP
Hi all, I am having trouble opening/creating a web site on a server running sharepoint services.I am opening/creating an ASP.Net website using Visual Studio 2005. I'm on my development machine running Windows XP.The server I am trying to open/create it on is a Windows 2003 server.It is always give me this error: "Visual Web Developer does not support opening Sharepoint web sites. See help for more details".I have read read very old posts about this error, but none of the info was about to solve the problem for me.Would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with th...

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

"Visual Web Developer Web Server" and Web Services
I like the new "Visual Web Developer Web Server" (Do you want suggestions for a longer name!) but I have an issue with using it to host a Web Service. Whenever the Web Service is recompiled and run it ends up with a different port number. Therefore, it seems that any references to that WS in other applications are invalidated and need to be re-established when it's run again. Is there a way of pinning the port number, or am I missing something? CheersNick Grattan, MSDN Regional Director, Ireland. Software Paths Limited. Hi Nick, the internal server is used for local...

Upgrading from "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" to "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2"
Newby question: I am learning ASP.NET and downloaded "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" in order to practice and learn the ropes.I just received "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2" and would like to upgrade. However, I haven't found any reference to removing "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" before installing "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2".Should I remove it?What do I need to back up before doing so?Thanks in advance,Ira I believe you can install VS on top of VWD. They, in fact, can coexits (although they will share some files).Thanks----------------------------------...

Visual Web Developer does not support opening Web sites on a SharePoint Web server
Hello,  I am trying to open up a website project that is a Microsoft Office Sharepoint Services project in Visual Studio 2005 and am getting this error: Visual Web Developer does not support creating Web sites on a SharePoint Web server    Can anyone help?    Thanks* Please mark as answer if indeed it is. Thanks! Hi ikelly, Seems this is a known issue. Please access the following link and view Dan’s solution. "visual web developer does not support creating web sites on a Sharepoint Web Server"http://forums.asp.net/p/942449/1129846.aspx#1129846 &...

Publishing "Personal Web Site Starter Kit", Visual Web Developer 2005 on IIS 5.1 in Windows XP 2002 sp2
Dear IIS GurusI am trying to publish the "Personal Web Site Starter Kit" provided as an example with "Visual Web Developer 2005"  as a Virtual Directory on IIS 5.1. I host IIS 5.1 on my development mashine running Windows XP professional 2002 with service pack 2.On browsing the virtual directory I get the following error message: "Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing th...

Can "Add Web Reference" if web service deployed to new web site, Can't add ref if deployed to Virt Server under Default web site (Sharepoint)
I have created a web service wich I can deploy successfully to a new IIS Web, but of course I have to set the port to something other than 80 (and I'd rather just use a virtual server under the Default web). If I try to deploy my web service under the Default Web as a new virtual server, and then try to "Add a web Reference" to the service, it fails with a 404: not found error. Notes: WServer 2003 My IIS server is running Sharepoint Portal Server (SPPS)sp2.  VS2005 Any ideas? /Bob C in GRR In Sharepoint Portal Admin I had to add a Path Exclusion.  Took me a whi...

Changing "virtual path" of Visual Web Developer Web Server
I'm developing a web application and want to avoid having to use a virtual path when executing the internal web server. Currently I have a web site named "website". When I start the web server it will automatically setup a server on some port e.g. 269 and with a virtual path of "website". So I'm able to access the site via: http://localhost:269/website However I would like to access it via this url instead: http://localhost:269/ and I can't see it should be a problem since the port is unique. I need this in order to use absolute paths in my HTML pages. ...

error message: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create the application <application>. The likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local Web server."
after enabling ssl using iis certificate services, creating and installing server and client certificates; i encountered this message when i try to reopen the project in vs 2003. how to work with ssl web apps in vs.net. please reply asap......

Error: "Unable to connect to Visual Studio's Localhost Web Server" when running a local web project
I get the above error when I try to run my project.  Any ideas what the configuration of the computer needs to be in order to run VS2005's local web server? Ok, the problem is that I apparently don't have the executable on my machine.  Does anyone know how I can reinstall this executable?  I've tried to repair my .NET studio installation, but no luck. I got same proplem , did you solve it ? if you .. please help me Thanks Top Systems Inc.Coding ServicesBooks Download I accidentally hit my firewall program to block the web server application.  When I fig...

Visual Studio "Orcas" Visual Studio.net "2005"
What are Microsoft on weed??? Whidby Orcas Indigo XAML Longhorn What are they trying to do to us developers. The transition to any new tools should be minimal. What we know about WebServices is now old bunk. Why did we bother with .net 1.1???????? Now we need to learn new silly names and new ways of doing things. Yes .net 1.1 is still supported in v2.0. But there are a million and one other needless things that we will have pushed onto us. Only to find in anther two years that they are old hat and there are new radical ways to do what we want.MCAD.Net vb.n...

Visual Studio 2005 Profiler "Launch Error: The web.config file xxx\web.config has been changed and backup information was lost."
Hi,  I am experiencing this error when trying to start a Visual Studio 2005 profiling session (Instrumentation) for my ASP.NET 2.0 web application.  I could not find any information regarding this issue and have no idea what might cause the problem, as the Visual Studio 2005 profiler already worked with that very same application, a couple of weeks ago. Anyone? Thanks in advance! Hello, Can you tell me if you found a solution for the issue because I'm experimenting the same issue ? Thanks !...

Web resources about - "visual web developer does not support creating web sites on a Sharepoint Web Server" - asp.net.visual-studio-2005