how can you use VB.Net without Visual Studio...

Good evening,

I am doing some 'pro bono' work for a religious organization. The application is web based and is using VB.Net in a code behind manner with aspx files.
I am using Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft IIS server. I have no budget for this application. Consequently, I can not purchase Microsoft Visual Studio.
When I put all my classes in a single vb file, everything works fine. However, if I separate the classes into several vb files, I can not link them together. Since I am using an aspx file, I have not used the vb compiler.
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Pat
0
lynchnco

I am not sure I understand your questions, can you describe a bit more what you are doing? Yes, you can use VB compiler (and C#) without VS - they come as part of .NET SDK which is free download.

However, I don't quite get how do you put several VB classes into a single file. Typically you should have one class per file. Are you trying to spread a single class across several files?

Mikhail
10/28/2003 6:57:56 AM
Thanks for responding so promptly.

I'm trying to test and enhance an application that consists of a number of aspx files. Each aspx file has an associated code behind vb file. Each aspx file will access one or more classes and each class is in its own file.
The application was developed using Visual Studio. Unfortunately, I do not have budget to purchase a copy of Visual Studio.
ASPX files are automatically compiled. If I had VS, I'm sure that I can get this to work. However, the only way that I can get it to work, without VS, was to put all of the classes accessed by the aspx file is to put them all in the same code behing vb file.
Thanks,
Pat
0
lynchnco
10/30/2003 12:12:45 AM
You can edit existing files using any editor including Notepad. Files are compiled at run time by ASP.NET Runtime that comes as part of .NET platform which is free. Hence you don't need VS. I don't think you need to move the code into a single file. By the way, it is not possible: each class must be in its own file.

Mikhail

Thanks for the heads up.
You can put multiple classes into a single vb file. It is the only way that I could get this app to work.
Essentially, what I have is an aspx file that has an associated code behind vb file that contains a class. In addition, a class in another file is accessed. This is what I can't get to work.
When I combine both classes into the same file, it does work...
Thanks,
Pat
0
lynchnco
10/30/2003 11:36:00 PM
What you are probably missing is import of the namespace and class defined in that second file. You can import it either as an assembly or as a source.

Try adding
<%@ Assembly Src="pathname" %>
to the ASPX file, where pathname is name of the file in which the second class resides. I.e. something like
<%@ Assembly Src="foobar.vb" %>

Mikhail

Visual Basic.NET or Visual Studio.NET?

Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

Visual Studio.Net and VB.Net
Can we install VS.Net and VB.Net on the same machine and work side by. Is there any thing I need to worry about? I use VS.Net enterprise for my office work and I am planning to buy VB.Net standard for my personal use. Before I goahead and buy, I wanted to make sure that it works. Thanks for your help. Anil...

Can I use my visual studio 6 project in Visual Studio .NET?
Here is my situation 1) Web Windows 2k Server. All code is done in ASP (not .net) 2) 1 Developer is not yet ready to install Visual Studio .NET, nor are we ready upgrade our server to .NET, however I wish to use Visiual Studio .NET. So is it possible to open a Visual Studio 6 project file and use the built in Source Control while running Visual Studio .NET? Thanks, Matt anyone able to help me out here? anyone?...

Visual C#.Net vs Visual Studio.Net
I have read in other posts a lot of people recommending Visual Studio.Net over the Web Matrix. My query is: why is there a £700 difference between VS.Net and Visual C#.Net? As a c# developer, I won't need any VB functionality. I also don't require Visual Source Safe, as projects are generally small and manageable. What features are lacking in Visual c#.net that justifies the price difference? Does it have Intellisense / Dubuggers / Compilers? These are the features that would make me pay for it instead of continuing with WM, but I need to know if tehre is serious functionality missin...

Visual Studio.NET VB.NET Edition for DNN?
I have been plugging along using the Handcoded method for Module Development up to this point and although I have been successful I'd like to possibly make the jump up to Visual Studio. I was looking at Microsot's Website and there is a VB.Net only version that lists for only $109 vs. the $1000+ for the full fleged Professional Edition. Is it possible to adequately develop for the DNN platform using this trimmed down (VB.NET only) version of Visual Studio 2003? The VB.NET 2003 package is more than adequate for DDN moodules or full-blown ASP.NET applications. Highly recommended... mi...

Web resources about - how can you use VB.Net without Visual Studio... - asp.net.visual-basic.net

Use of Force Expert to Testify in Officer's Assault Trial
Prosecution use of force expert to testify in assault trial of officer who kicked man in head

Fighting climate change with 'poop power'
The stench of clogged toilets fills the air at the US capital's wastewater treatment facility. And for good reason—it's one of the world's largest ...

Amazon Dominated 36% of Online Black Friday Sales, Says Slice
Slice Intelligence, which gathers e-commerce data from receipts linked to its Slice package tracking app, tells TechCrunch that Amazon dominated ...

Facebook's CEO and wife to give 99 percent of shares to their new foundation
Reuters Facebook's CEO and wife to give 99 percent of shares to their new foundation Reuters SAN FRANCISCO Mark Zuckerberg will put 99 percent ...

The 10 funniest 'Star Wars' spoofs of all time
Star Wars is a space fantasy, a galactic fairy tale, a Skywalker family soap opera and a classic good vs. evil adventure story with mythological ...

Google removes Chrome's notification center because nobody used it
As promised in October, Google has ditched Chrome's desktop notification center in its latest update, released today. The company first introduced ...

Rosa Parks was a radical, lifelong black liberation activist, not a "meek seamstress"
Jeanne Theoharis, an academic who wrote the biography The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks , reminds us that the historical account of Rosa ...

Nokia’s OZO VR Camera Will Not Come Cheap
If you have thought that VR (Virtual Reality) technology does not come cheap, you are correct – where the high end segment of the market is concerned, ...

U.S. deploying new force to Iraq to boost fight against Islamic State
By Phil Stewart and Yeganeh Torbati WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States said on Tuesday it was deploying a new force of special operations ...

Vtech toy data-breach gets worse: 6.3 million children implicated
The Hong Kong-based toymaker/crapgadget purveyor didn't even know it had been breached until journalists from Vice asked why data from its millions ...