SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio Web server vs IIS 5 / 6: logging into SQL Server

If you are writing code that involves, for example, ADO.NET transactions, be aware:

1) If you are using Visual Studio 2005's internal server, this uses the Windows account of the logged in user to access SQL Server 2005. Therefore your permission settings, for example denying an insert or update, will be ignored.

2) If you are using IIS 5 or 6 as your Web server, the ASPNET (IIS 5) / NETWORK SERVICE (IIS 6) account is used and so your permission settings will be acted upon.

Find out the Windows account being used by running SQL Profiler when debugging.

Hope this helps.

0
bluekiwi
10/28/2006 2:22:02 PM
asp.net.tips-tricks 851 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Move from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 with VS 2005
 We have a new database server for SQL Server 2005.  To use our old VS 2005 websites, which were connected toanother database server with SQL Server 2000, what should I do?  Just change the server name of the connection stringin the Source code and/or Web.config?  My preliminary testing seemed to be not effective.TIA,Jeffrey wonjartran:  We have a new database server for SQL Server 2005.  To use our old VS 2005 websites, which were connected toanother database server with SQL Server 2000, what should I do?  Just change the server name of the connectio...

Using Visual Studio 2003 with sql server 2000 and planning to switch to sql server 2005
We have a project already developed iusing VS 2003 Enterprise architect edition using sql server 2000(have lots of table and stored procs etc.) Now planning to switch to Sql server 2005 are there any issues associated with the switch.   I mean front end programming wise asp.net and vb.net front end codes do they work straight away or need to make any changes to all the front end codes, we are using datasets, data readers calling stored procs and also using lot of hash tables and XML object to make bulk loads to sql server via sqlxml3.0 sp3. Please help thank you very much for the in...

sql server 2005 vs sql server 2008
Hello Guys, I am a beginner in web developing, having just started learning about the technology. I have come up with my first problem which is so basic, lol I have both sql server 2005 and sql server 2008 on my computer, I was just wondering if they can work properly along with each other and there is no conflict. \ If not, why can I not get connected to my server using sql server 2005? Please get back to me as soon as you can, Thanks It would work just fine. make sure in your windows services (from the control panel) that the database engine for the 2005 instance is running, and t...

SQL Server 2005 Express vs SQL Server 2000
We just upgraded to Zenworks Patchlink 6.3. We already have SQL Server 2000, but I noticed in Patchlink's Recommended PLUS Configuration article they recommend SQL Server 2005 Express. Isn't that the newest version of MSDE and isn't it free? Is it truly better for us to go to SQL Server 2005 Express than to use SQL Server 2000? An interesting question: I wonder if any figures are available - I know that 2005 Express is /enough/ to run ZPM 6.3... -- Shaun Pond ...

SQL server 2005 and SQL server 2005 lite
Hi, I have a web site hosted at a hosting company.. I'm in the process of designing a web site which has some forms that are going to hit a database, etc.. for a small company.. This small company has it's own Web server, and when I'm finished I'll copy the finsihed product to their IIS web server, etc.. Well, I have SQL server 2005 full edition as part of my web hosting, but I'm going to have to use SQL server Lite for the end user / client since they don't have SQL server. So, I'm wondering if I can do my work on MY remote host using the full edition of SQL server 2005, and then copy to th...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #6
hi there! I've uploaded my website at online server. which has its database on its local server. Now whenever Im trying to open the website. I get the following message instead of website. "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) " Im using sql server 2000 for database. Asp.net 2.0 Please hel...

Web resources about - SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio Web server vs IIS 5 / 6: logging into SQL Server - asp.net.tips-tricks

Logging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
or skeleton cars . In forestry , the term logging is sometimes used in a narrow sense concerning the logistics of moving wood from the stump ...

More Japanese Users Logging On To Facebook
For years, Mixi has been the social media site of choice in Japan. But new reports suggest that Facebook could overtake Mixi by the end of the ...

‘Trusted Contacts’ lets users turn to friends for help logging into Facebook
Facebook today announced “Trusted Contacts,” an update to its “ Trusted Friends ” security feature that sends access codes to a few of a user’s ...

Reps & Sets - Gym Logging on the App Store on iTunes
Get Reps & Sets - Gym Logging on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Logging into the iPad...jailbreak style - YouTube
Very early work on porting "Spirit" jailbreak by @comex to iPad ... Questions: http://twitter.com/MuscleNerd

Halting highlands logging could prove lucrative
A report says halting logging in the central highlands could boost the state's coffers.

Conservation areas to be opened up to logging
State forests set aside as conservation areas by the previous Labor government could be declassified and reopened for commercial logging and ...

South Coast residents concerned about bushfire risk from logging slash
... on the NSW south coast have expressed alarm at "metres high" piles of logs, leaves and branches left on forest floors after logging, ...

O'Farrell government rejects call for logging in national parks
The O'Farrell government has rejected calls from an inquiry led by the Shooters and Fishers Party to allow logging in reserved areas

Logging out? Why young people love to hate Facebook
Researchers, journalists writing about research, and young people themselves have been writing about the perceived decline of Facebook for a ...