Separting the User name from the Machine name in User.Identity.Name

string userNameWithMachineName = User.Identity.Name;

string userNameWithoutMachineName = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(userNameWithMachineName);

HighOnCoding
Wanna get high!
0
azamsharp
4/9/2005 3:43:48 AM
asp.net.tips-tricks 851 articles. 0 followers. Follow

difference between HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name and User.Identity.Name
Q1. what is the difference between 1. HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name;and 2. User.Identity.Name Q2.i'm using asp.net 2.0. i'm using the following code to authenticate FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(strEMail, false); Response.Redirect("web/ra.aspx"); my main web.config has <authentication mode="Forms">      <forms          name=".ASPXAUTH"          loginUrl="back.htm"          protection="All" &n...

My user name is My.name@myemployer.ca but v2.0 imposes the erroneous user name My.name@exchange.Myemployer.ca if I declare
exchange.myemployer.ca as my STMP server. Would anyone know of any way to circumvent this behavior? thanks. Steve Steven Rytina wrote: > exchange.myemployer.ca as my STMP server. Would anyone know of any way to > circumvent this behavior? > > thanks. > > Steve > > > Please don't post the problem in the subject line. Its so long, most of us cannot see it and simply ignore. I suggest that you repost, and state the entire problem in the body of the message. Lee -- Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion The Champs...

Can not get user name from HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name
Hi All; I have tried to use HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name to get window user account. However, from debugger, for a long time ago I saw my window user name. But now, I did not see my window user name (from debugger) with the same code and same function call. Please help. Was I doing something wrong? Or any special settings on web.config/machine.config or project to make it work??? I'm stuck Thanks a lot well, you have to have windows integrated authentiction enabled in IIS, IIRC.RTFM - straight talk for web developers. Unmoderated, uncensored, occasionally unre...

What has to happen after login before Page.User.Identity.Name contains the user name?
I am using Membership Services in my new ASP.NET 3.5 app. I want to redirect the user to a page where he can enter various personal details if he has not yet done this. I put some VB.NET code in the LoggedIn event for my Login control that depends on the availability of the current user name in Page.User.Identity.Name but this reference is Nothing at this stage in the process. Page.User.Identity.Name works fine on other pages. When exactly is Page.User.Identity.Name loaded with the name of the current user?David   The authentication process hapen like this... 1-User request a secur...

User.Identity.Name returns email address instead of user name
I have modified the login control so that the user logs in using their email instead of their user name. Here is my code:Protected Sub Login1_Authenticate(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.AuthenticateEventArgs) Handles Login1.Authenticate Dim email As String = Login1.UserNameDim userName As String = Membership.GetUserNameByEmail(Login1.UserName)Dim userInfo As AdditionalUserInfo = New AdditionalUserInfo   If Membership.ValidateUser(userName, Login1.Password) = True ThenDim isFirstTime As Boolean = userInfo.GetUserInfo(userName).IsFirstTime If isFirstTi...

Problem in getting logged in user Name for ASPX page with (even with this.User.Identity.Name)
Hi  friends,  I am creating an application that takes current logged in user and displays on the page itself. for this I am getting the user name in PageLoad function by using this.User.Identity.Name and then storing the value in a hidden variable for aspx page. I am using this hidden  variable to display the name of the user. I am using Windows authentication for this. Now problem that I am getting is that when multiple user launch the application from different machine and if they click simultaneously, name of one user appears on the paged displayed on the machine of ot...

global user name change & banned user names
Hi There, As part of my rollout of DNN 3.0, I'd like to change the default naming for the super user accounts. Specifically the admin & host user names. In addition, once these are renamed, is it possible to add in a "banned list" of user names? I.e. I don't want someone to come along and create an account called host or admin/administrator. TIA sadly, you can't change usernames (this is a limitation of the microsoft memberrole functionality - see http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=815100 for some more details). You can however uncheck the Aut...

removing domain name in Context.User.Identity.Name
I have two domains ABC1 and XYZ1 and some users are on both domains.  I want to be able to check roles and properties just by user name and not domain\user.  Is that possible? jgurjen, You can look for the user in the whole PDC & get the roles for each instance. <code> System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry deServer = new System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry("LDAP://<Name_Of_PDC>" ); System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher dsUser = new System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher(deServer); dsUser.Filter = ("(anr= " + <user_to_look_for> + ")")...

edirectory user created on AD Full name name, but want logon name
I have installed the AD driver sucessfully, and when I create accounts in the AD, an eDirectory user is created with either "full name" or "display name" (eg "CN=Fred Bloggs") I must have chosen this opten when installing it, however wondering now what is the easiest way to change back to creating the eDirecory user based on logon name (eg "CN=fbloggs") ? chris@hindes.com.au wrote: > I have installed the AD driver sucessfully, and when I create accounts in > the AD, an eDirectory user is created with either "full name" o...

Comparing a user's name/email to membership user name/email
I want to compare a user's name and email that he/she has entered. If it is correct I want to send an email to the Admin to let them know that they need their password reset. I have the following but for some reason it keeps hitting the else statement: If txtUserName.Text.Length > 25 Then lblOutput.Text = "User's Name is too long!" ElseIf txtEmail.Text.Length > 45 Then lblOutput.Text = "User's Email is too long!" Else Dim strUserName As String = Trim(txtUserName.Text) Dim strEmail As String = Trim(txtEmail.Text) Dim mu As MembershipUser = M...

User Control
I am trying to convert my aspx page that has all my graphics into a header user control, in the page I reference the username that is logged into the site.  I am using the User.Identity.Name function but it tells me that User is not identifited.  This worked just fine before I moved it to the ascx page. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Craig In a user control or custom control your will need to use either:Page.User.Identity.Name orHttpContent.Current.User.Identity.Name If using the latter, don't forget to import the System.Web namespaceBill, WESNet Designs...

User.Identity.Name in User Control
What namespace do I have to include in my User Control code behind to be able to access the Forms Login User.Identity.Name information? Thanks!I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work System and System.Web.UI. Here's a sample of a user control retrieving User.Identity.Name: using System; using System.Web.UI; public class MyClass: Page { public void Page_Load(Object Source, EventArgs e) { Response.Write("User.Identity.Name=" + User.Identity.Name); } } Thanks lauraThis posting is provided "AS IS"...

User.Identity.Name in User Control
Can I use User.Identity.Name in a User Control (.ascx file). I tried to use it but got the following error: " The type or namespace name 'User' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) " regards Try using HttpContext.User.Identity.Name HTH... Chris...

How to Add an User Name only if the User Name Doesn't Exist in the Database
I have a form where users create user names. I'd like for the user to see a message that the user name already exists if it exists in the database. But I'm not sure how to do this in ASP.Net.In Classic ASP, I used the following code:     Error = False         'Loop through all the records in the recordset to check that the user name is not already in the database             Do While NOT rs2.EOF         'Check to see if the database already has ...

Web resources about - Separting the User name from the Machine name in User.Identity.Name - asp.net.tips-tricks

Pharrell Williams Questions Why We Aren't Talking About Mike Brown's Behavior?
Williams brings light to a question that maybe some are thinking but haven't verbalized as heavily.

Central Winger

Typhoon Haiyan: The Global Poor Bear the Deadly Brunt of Climate Change - The Nation
History illustrates that Typhoon Haiyan was a man-made disaster that’s the result of climate debt.

David Lynch Interview NY Times
A DARK LENS ON AMERICA By Richard B. Woodward The movies of David Lynch are absurd, macabre, evengrotesque. Is Hollywood`s reigning eccentric ...

Tribpedia: Steve Munisteri - The Texas Tribune Page Not Found - The Texas Tribune
Steve Munisteri is the chairman of the Republican Party of Texas . He defeated sitting chair Cathie Adams for the two-year position in a runoff ...